Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids vaccinations

kids vaccinations

Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids vaccinations

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Ah, but it's an issue which won't just go away, and as it evolves, with new vaccines being developed all the time, it's something which should always be discussed IMO.

I really don't see what the problem is with this thread. It's offering a lot of useful information and I would have thought parents would be grateful for every little bit they can get their hands on. This thread offers links to studies and a great starting point for people wishing to research the issue for themselves. As I said, the information FOR vaccines is readily accessible for everyone from the GP.

I think that if GP's were handing out information which truly allowed parents to make an objective decision, then there would be a lot more debate. I think that if they told parents straight what ingredients are in these vaccines, and their effect on the human body, then many parents would be compelled to look in to the whole issue a lot more.

I would never try to persuade anybody not to vaccinate their child. I would, however, try to persuade parents to digest ALL the information, both for and against, before they come to their decision. Our children are the most precious things in our lives, and at the end of the day, everyone on here just wants what is best for them.

I think is is true to say that some posters on here just don't seem to have read any of the information presented, and that's a shame. It would be great to have a proper, informative debate of the issues / studies raised. We all have so much to learn about this.

Post of the day. Thank you Sunshine7. It is great to have people discussing such an important issue and there has been some excellent information put forward in these 200 posts.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Post of the day. Thank you Sunshine7. It is great to have people discussing such an important issue and there has been some excellent information put forward in these 200 posts.
Maybe a summary of the information you have found useful would be be great. It's too hard to read the whole thing
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
1) Yes mortality rates were declining before vaccination was introduced, but the actual number of reported cases of the vaccinable diseases did not decline until vaccination was introduced.

2) Just because fewer people were not dying from the diseases, it did not mean they were not suffering. There was widespread disability and pain from polio, rubella (caused deafness and brain damage in unborn babies), infertility caused by mumps and so on. Only looking at mortality statistics overlooks the widespread impact of these diseases. When vaccination came in the rates of incidence of these disabilities dropped dramatically.

Have at look at these stats:

In 2005, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued parent's guide with some interesting statistics about the impact of vaccination on childhood diseases.

* Diphtheria
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 175,885
Cases in 2003: 1
Decrease in cases per year: 99.9%

* Hib (<5 yrs old)
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 20,000 (estimate)
Cases in 2003: 259
Decrease in cases per year: 98.8%

* Measles
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 503,282
Cases in 2003: 56

* Mumps
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 152,209
Cases in 2003: 231

* Pertussis (whooping cough)
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 147,271
Cases in 2003: 11,647
Decrease in cases per year: 92.1%

* Polio (paralytic)
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 16,316
Cases in 2003: 0
Decrease in cases per year: 100.0%

* Rubella
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 47,745
Cases in 2003: 7

* Smallpox
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 48,164
Cases in 2003: 0
Decrease in cases per year: 100.0%

* Tetanus
Cases per year (average) before vaccines: 1,314
Cases in 2003: 20
Decrease in cases per year: 98.5%

Source: http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr...ents-guide.pdf
Interesting. Can I just ask, where it gives the average cases per year before vaccines, over which years, and how many years is that averaged out? If it was, say, for the five years prior to vaccines then that is one thing, but if it was over about 100 years prior to vaccines then that is another thing entirely, and would not take into account improved sanitation and diet etc. Does anybody have this info? Princess Leia? I have tried googling it without much success.

Also, can I ask if you have the same sort of statistics for Britain? Am I right in thinking that over the years different states in the US have had different vaccination schedules, whereas Britain has one schedule for the whole country?

I would also be interested to see a similar thing done with diseases which have died out naturally, i.e. cases averaged out exactly the same was as those above and cases in 2003.

I suppose I'm just a bit greedy for information. Anybody on here help?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Interesting. Can I just ask, where it gives the average cases per year before vaccines, over which years, and how many years is that averaged out? If it was, say, for the five years prior to vaccines then that is one thing, but if it was over about 100 years prior to vaccines then that is another thing entirely, and would not take into account improved sanitation and diet etc. Does anybody have this info? Princess Leia? I have tried googling it without much success.

Also, can I ask if you have the same sort of statistics for Britain? Am I right in thinking that over the years different states in the US have had different vaccination schedules, whereas Britain has one schedule for the whole country?

I would also be interested to see a similar thing done with diseases which have died out naturally, i.e. cases averaged out exactly the same was as those above and cases in 2003.

Sunshine, have a look at the HPA website for UK stats. http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&Pa...=1153846673347

Find the disease you want more statistics on and when you have clicked on it, you can view the epidemiological data.

HTH.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a big secret that vaccines fail in some people, at best vaccines are 90% efficient. However, vaccination is not so much about protecting a stand alone individual against the diseases, it's about protecting the population. The more people that are vaccinated, the stronger the "herd immunity" of the population will be to withstand epidemics.
So if an outbreak occurs, then the ability of the diseases to spread will be limited. However, the more unvaccinated people around, the disease will spread much more easily between humans and will affect the weak and vulnerable i.e. people whose vacinations didn't take, those who cannot be vaccinated or who are too young to be vaccinated.

So if an individual is not vaccinated then the failure rate = 100%. If they are vaccinated then the average failure rate is 10% - 25%. So it's quite a different situation and a concern if more people are unvaccinated.

I have a lot of friends who are anti vaxxers so when I had children, I was given a lot of literature from them! I had to do some research of my own.

I found this publication helpful too - a long read but very good:
http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/in...th-edition.pdf
I don't mean to sound snarky, or that I'm beating a dead horse, but with vaxes like pertussis that do NOT prevent transmission, how are they achieving herd immunity and protecting the herd? The herd is still passing the bacteria along...
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a big secret that vaccines fail in some people, at best vaccines are 90% efficient. However, vaccination is not so much about protecting a stand alone individual against the diseases, it's about protecting the population. The more people that are vaccinated, the stronger the "herd immunity" of the population will be to withstand epidemics.
So if an outbreak occurs, then the ability of the diseases to spread will be limited. However, the more unvaccinated people around, the disease will spread much more easily between humans and will affect the weak and vulnerable i.e. people whose vacinations didn't take, those who cannot be vaccinated or who are too young to be vaccinated.

So if an individual is not vaccinated then the failure rate = 100%. If they are vaccinated then the average failure rate is 10% - 25%. So it's quite a different situation and a concern if more people are unvaccinated.

I have a lot of friends who are anti vaxxers so when I had children, I was given a lot of literature from them! I had to do some research of my own.

I found this publication helpful too - a long read but very good:
P.S. thanks for the link...I can bring it in, highlighted and with my evidence and studies to contradict it when I meet with the doctor for our CO form signing...cheers..
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Japonica
I don't mean to sound snarky, or that I'm beating a dead horse, but with vaxes like pertussis that do NOT prevent transmission, how are they achieving herd immunity and protecting the herd? The herd is still passing the bacteria along...
The vaxes do dramatically reduce the number of people getting pertussis as a whole (see the stats I posted above relating to the US), which means there is fewer walking pertussis dispensing machines circulating around in the population. This is important especially for newborn babies, since (in Australia) the vaccine doesn't commence until about 2 months. A 4 week old baby girl died recently in Northern NSW (an area known for lower vaccination rates) from whooping cough.

You were one of the unfortunate few who contracted it but for the majority the vaccine works and the herd immunity effect means that cases like yours have limited effect overall in terms of resulting in epidemics.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I think looking at the reference the figures were derived over a period between 1900 and 1998? If you wish to look in detail at the figures then obviously you'd have to read the journal in full.

You may also find this site http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/whatifstop.htm helpful as it refers to statistics prior to vaccination for different diseases for the US.

For Australia, have a look from page 33 onwards to show the effects of vaccination over time. They have charts of the vaccinable diseases.

Sorry I don't have data for the UK - I only started researching vaccines here as I had my children here.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

P.S. thanks for the link...I can bring it in, highlighted and with my evidence and studies to contradict it when I meet with the doctor for our CO form signing...cheers..
I have to warn you, it's 53 pages long and extremely comprehensive in rebutting the common anti vaccination arguments. You'd be there forever and paying a fortune for the visit!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have to warn you, it's 53 pages long and extremely comprehensive in rebutting the common anti vaccination arguments. You'd be there forever and paying a fortune for the visit!
Oh well, I don't mind. That's what commitment is all about. I'm not going to say, wow, 53 pages, what a hassle, you're right doctor, my long held convictions are not worth this much time, please vaccinate my children right now!

Edited to add: I just skimmed through it and can already see a number of points I can provide recent contradictory studies for it...like the immunologist from Winnipeg who demonstrated a tangible link between the old DPT and asthma. So, even if it's the older form of the vaccine, the gov't can't claim there is NO correlation between vaccination and asthma.

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 16th 2009 at 11:25 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Oh well, I don't mind. That's what commitment is all about. I'm not going to say, wow, 53 pages, what a hassle, you're right doctor, my long held convictions are not worth this much time, please vaccinate my children right now!

Edited to add: I just skimmed through it and can already see a number of points I can provide recent contradictory studies for it...like the immunologist from Winnipeg who demonstrated a tangible link between the old DPT and asthma. So, even if it's the older form of the vaccine, the gov't can't claim there is NO correlation between vaccination and asthma.
No problem. I already know that many anti vaccinators are very difficult to shift in their beliefs, I have lots of friends with such beliefs and have found that even the most tentative links is enough for them.

I am providing more information for people who were in the situation that I was in when first reading the anti vaccination literature. I knew there was something wrong because I had done papers in statistics and knew that there was something wrong with the argument that most children getting the diseases were vaccinated. So once I started doing my research (difficult when you don't have a science background and it was also difficult to find resources that addressed the anti vaccination stance) things started to make sense. All my children are now fully vaccinated and we haven't had any problems

I found resources on the World Health Organisation website particularly useful (this was back in 2002). They also promote breastfeeding, an activity where no profit is made so I felt that they were trustworthy and reliable.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Thanks to everyone for getting this thread back on track.

My little tit for tat with IvanM was getting very nauseating and I was starting to think it would put others off; thank heavens thats not the case issues like this are just too important to ignore.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Seconded!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

The vaxes do dramatically reduce the number of people getting pertussis as a whole (see the stats I posted above relating to the US), which means there is fewer walking pertussis dispensing machines circulating around in the population. This is important especially for newborn babies, since (in Australia) the vaccine doesn't commence until about 2 months. A 4 week old baby girl died recently in Northern NSW (an area known for lower vaccination rates) from whooping cough.
It was of course terribly sad that a young baby died from pertussis recently, but the media haven't been particularly forthcoming over the circumstances. No mention of whether she was vulnerable in some way - pre-existing health problems, prematurity, for example. The media climbed all over the case of the 13yo who died from measles in the UK a couple of years ago - all they would report was the fact that he wasn't vaccinated. No mention - initially - of the fact that he had a lung condition and was essentially immune-depressed and vulnerable to complications of measles.

You were one of the unfortunate few who contracted it but for the majority the vaccine works and the herd immunity effect means that cases like yours have limited effect overall in terms of resulting in epidemics.
I guess both my husband and I were also two of the "unfortunate few" who developed pertussis despite being vaccinated against it. There would seem to be rather a lot of the "unfortunate few" around.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

One of the best books I've read on the topic of vaccines is "The Vaccination Handbook For Concerned Parents and Health Professionals" by Neil Z Miller. It's about 450 pps, but deals with each vaccine in turn, which makes it easy to read in stages. Lots of references, graphs, tables, and much anecdotal evidence as well. Would recommend it to anyone wanting information on the subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.