Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids sunburnt finger tips??????

kids sunburnt finger tips??????

Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:50 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default kids sunburnt finger tips??????

After a cracking day yesterday in Perth, son and pal in pool for most of the after noon, t-shirts on and a gazebo over some of it to keep the sun off the little dears. I wake up this morning and son is sat on sofa clasping a tin of pepsi from the fridge. It turns out he has burnt his finger tips!!!! The only way I can think this has happened is when they where in the pool and clinging to the side with their hands on the paving round the edge.
Just goes to prove you think you have done everything to save them getting burnt and then this happens. Has anyone got suggestions of how to stop this happening again please.... and don't suggest a pair of wooley gloves you lot in the UK......
Jenny
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:12 am
Mel Gibson

Default Re: kids sunburnt finger tips??????

Originally Posted by jensteve
After a cracking day yesterday in Perth, son and pal in pool for most of the after noon, t-shirts on and a gazebo over some of it to keep the sun off the little dears. I wake up this morning and son is sat on sofa clasping a tin of pepsi from the fridge. It turns out he has burnt his finger tips!!!! The only way I can think this has happened is when they where in the pool and clinging to the side with their hands on the paving round the edge.
Just goes to prove you think you have done everything to save them getting burnt and then this happens. Has anyone got suggestions of how to stop this happening again please.... and don't suggest a pair of wooley gloves you lot in the UK......
Jenny
After you get sunburnt on one area of the body the skin developed a tan which helps prevent you getting burnt on the same area. For example after a got my arms sunburnt a couple of times the skin went from being a white to a light brown colour and my arms are now resistant to the sun and no longer get sunburnt, so its unlikely your kids will get burnt on the fingers again.
What you could do is buy one of those large shade cloths which look like a large sail and hang it up over the top of the pool which will provide shade when you are swimming, you can get them at a hardware shop.

Last edited by Mel Gibson; Nov 22nd 2004 at 12:16 am.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone got suggestions of how to stop this happening again please.... Jenny
You could always move back to the UK where its too cold to swim outdoors and theres only sun 3 weeks a year! LOL. Have to admit we will miss the 5 months of heat when we move back to the UK in Apr

Seriously, as Mel states it should be OK from now. Just make sure theres plenty of suncream/block on that area for the next few days.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 1:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
After you get sunburnt on one area of the body the skin developed a tan which helps prevent you getting burnt on the same area.
That doesn't work on the top of my head !
It keeps getting burnt, and has done for years

PS: Cloud cover doesn't stop it either. It was all cloud yesteday, so I didn't wear a hat, and still it got a bit burnt.

I can't think of anything that will help in those particular circumstances, and I've never heard of it happening like that before either. (referring to the burnt fingertips)

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Nov 22nd 2004 at 2:38 am.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:07 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

PS: Cloud cover doesn't stop it either. It was all cloud yesteday, so I didn't wear a hat, and still it got a bit burnt.

I can't think of anything that will help in those particular circumstances, and I've never heard of it happening like that before either.

You be careful....you don't want any nasty melanomas appearing.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 2:22 am
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I can't think of anything that will help in those particular circumstances, and I've never heard of it happening like that before either.
Just remember to wear a hat when you go outside for a long time during summer.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 5:22 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

You sure its sunburn and you havent been a bit liberal with the pool chemicals! go easy on the Acid in future!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
After you get sunburnt on one area of the body the skin developed a tan which helps prevent you getting burnt on the same area. For example after a got my arms sunburnt a couple of times the skin went from being a white to a light brown colour and my arms are now resistant to the sun and no longer get sunburnt, so its unlikely your kids will get burnt on the fingers again.
What you could do is buy one of those large shade cloths which look like a large sail and hang it up over the top of the pool which will provide shade when you are swimming, you can get them at a hardware shop.
Sorry to lecture...but just a reminder that having a tan is a sign of skin damage too (no matter how good or healthy it makes you feel!)... if you have a tan you should still be protecting your skin.
the sail is a cool idea though! ...Otherwise, try and keep the kids out the pool at the riskiest times of the day...(but are you sure their finger tips weren't sore from clinging to the edge of the pool?)
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:35 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny!!

What about a shade cloth to go over the pool? We are looking into the same thing. Brian has always had a shade cloth drapped over the pool area to cover at least SOME of the pool and give respite from the glaring sun. Best place to get a burn is in the water.

Might solve the fingertip problem

Siren
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:54 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve99
You sure its sunburn and you havent been a bit liberal with the pool chemicals! go easy on the Acid in future!
No pool fine, the pool guy checked it yesterday and said it was very good.
It may be burns off the paving round the edge being so hot!! But then why do people walk round barefoot.
Jenny
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:51 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

No pool fine, the pool guy checked it yesterday and said it was very good.
It may be burns off the paving round the edge being so hot!! But then why do people walk round barefoot.
Jenny
Cool, I guess feet probably have harder skin than hands so the heat of the paving doesnt have the same impact on them as it would on hands. If they were in the water for a long time the fingers probably softened up (went white and wrinkly!) and then maybe from gripping the side the skin got a bit torn and probably burnt by the heat of the paving.
Poor chap, it must be impossible for him to clean his room or do his homework now
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:05 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
Cool, I guess feet probably have harder skin than hands so the heat of the paving doesnt have the same impact on them as it would on hands. If they were in the water for a long time the fingers probably softened up (went white and wrinkly!) and then maybe from gripping the side the skin got a bit torn and probably burnt by the heat of the paving.
Poor chap, it must be impossible for him to clean his room or do his homework now
Hi only replying as I am not quite sure how to "drive" this site. Joined today and never done a chat room before..... just checking it out really... any tips I found it hard to see who was online
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:10 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi only replying as I am not quite sure how to "drive" this site. Joined today and never done a chat room before..... just checking it out really... any tips I found it hard to see who was online

Look on the left handside of the page - under each persons name is their online status.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:25 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Look on the left handside of the page - under each persons name is their online status.
Ok thanks, and then any replies go to my email? I expected them to be seen instantly on screen...... I'm rather sad being a chatroom virgin arn't I??????
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:35 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ljj
Ok thanks, and then any replies go to my email? I expected them to be seen instantly on screen...... I'm rather sad being a chatroom virgin arn't I??????

Any replies go on the post you replied to, unless someone PM's (private messages) you.

If you want to send someone a PM just click on their name and it will give you a list of options you can do. At the top right hand corner of the screen it should say Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0 (this obviously changes as you send and receive messages).

Everyone has to learn at some point - ask the questions if you have them

If from this screen now, you click 'My Profile' near the top of the page, then down the left handside gives you setting options to change - have a play with them, you can add signatures, change your login in preferences, your notification preferences etc etc

Strictly speaking this isn't a chatroom (though that option is available if you go to the top of the page) but an online forum. Replies have to be posted onto this site (just as you are doing), but anyone can still see and reply to any post on this site.

Last edited by mlbonner; Nov 23rd 2004 at 2:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.