Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids and schools

Kids and schools

Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

baker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kids and schools

We have been told that there is only one intake a year for schools, all children start in January. Is this true and what happens to those who wish to start school mid year as they have just arrived in the country do they have to wait to the following January? Our son will be 5 so were hoping to get him into a prep year, our daughter will be 7.....
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids and schools

I don't know where you heard that but don't worry. We arrived in April last year with a 10 and a 6 year old and they went straight into school. Many other children have come and gone since too
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

baker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the roughbaker4 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by snurse42
I don't know where you heard that but don't worry. We arrived in April last year with a 10 and a 6 year old and they went straight into school. Many other children have come and gone since too
Thank you....have a sore head this morning from thinking and drinking!!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine have just started in October.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
Mine have just started in October.

and in Brisbane too..........that's where we are off to
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baker4

and in Brisbane too..........that's where we are off to
Yes, it was easy (we're Australian and came back from a couple of years away). Went straight up to our local state school and made an appointment to see the registrar - had the appointment the next day and the kids started the day after that. No problems at all. Same for my British friends who came here to live from Dubai over summer.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:59 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Your 5 yr old may not be able to start until January.

Any child born after July 1st will start their prep year at school in the year they turn 6.

Having said that, if you have documentation to show that they already attended full-time school in UK you may be able to bypass that particular rule - depending on the flexibility of the school principal involved.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter started Year 1 in October,09 without any problems
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, apart from a child just about to enter school in kindergarten (or whatever it is called) you can enrol a child at any time - and it usually is just a case of marching up to your local school with passport, vaccination certificates, proof of residence and child in hand and signing on the dotted line. In theory they can take the child that day but they may suggest holding off for a day or two until they get the desk sorted. If you want an out of area school though, remember that schools have the right to decline your application.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:56 am
Just Joined

lottieblair is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been told that there is only one intake a year for schools, all children start in January. Is this true and what happens to those who wish to start school mid year as they have just arrived in the country do they have to wait to the following January? Our son will be 5 so were hoping to get him into a prep year, our daughter will be 7.....
We arrived 4 weeks ago and got pur boys in on week 2. Jamie age 5 went into Prep having been in Year 1 in UK and Harrison into grade 1/2 having been in Y3 in UK. Schools here are very helpful and welcoming and you can start anytime!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all....Our son would have only started school in January attending school for only just 2 months, will get a letter from the school and hope this helps with his placement......otherwise what are the other alternatives for childcare. Any ideas on costs?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Our daughter is 5 & started in pre-primary in September just in time to have 2 weeks off for school holidays, she'd already had about 9 weeks off owing to the end of term in the UK & us moving. She would have started in Year1 in September if we'd stayed in the UK but starts Year1 in February now.

I do feel a bit sorry for our 4 year old though as he'd done 18 months at pre-school in the UK & would have started 4+ at school in September had we stayed in the UK. He's back at home with me for now & can't wait to start kindy in February & will only be doing 2 days a week after doing 3 & 1/2 at pre-school.

I personally wouldn't have pushed for our daughter to go up a year here to be at the same level she was in the UK. I don't think an extra few months of pre-primary/4+ will or has done her any harm. She's well ahead with her reading & all the tests they've done & I think that's helped her settle as nothing is too daunting for her. It's probably a bit different once they're in high school. I know my friends kids thought it was great that they didn't have to make an effort to start with as they'd done it all in the UK, their parents had different ideas though & continued to push them at home.

Alison x

Last edited by al150n; Nov 8th 2010 at 12:24 am.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

My son is going to be 5 soon and we have just returned to Australia after being back in the UK for a few years, he is enrolled in the local primary to start prep in Feb. It's a bit of a nightmare as he finished his first year of school at home in June so is having a really large gap until he starts here.