British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Kids Quad Bikes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/kids-quad-bikes-279689/)

blossom Jan 24th 2005 5:49 pm

Kids Quad Bikes

I have today received an email from a shipping company who tell me it is going to cost at least £550 to ship a tiny 50cc quad bike from UK to Oz. On top of this there will be import duty etc and I will require a permit.

Is this the case for a garden toy? I just cannot believe this. Mind you he kept referring to it as a motor cycle all the way through the document.

By the way, the quad is recommended for 6 - 10 year old children, and is not road legal.

If you have any advice please share.

Blossom :scared: :confused:

xxdebsonlinexx Jan 24th 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Kids Quad Bikes

Originally Posted by blossom
I have today received an email from a shipping company who tell me it is going to cost at least £550 to ship a tiny 50cc quad bike from UK to Oz. On top of this there will be import duty etc and I will require a permit.

Is this the case for a garden toy? I just cannot believe this. Mind you he kept referring to it as a motor cycle all the way through the document.

By the way, the quad is recommended for 6 - 10 year old children, and is not road legal.

Hi Blossom sounds like they have got their wires crossed might be worth giving them a ring just to clarify that your both on about the same thing as to me they are making it sound like a quad bike you would use on the road

Debs xxx

cresta57 Jan 24th 2005 8:24 pm

Defined in strict terms it is a motorcycle so the shipping company is covering it's own arse by quoting you that rate.
That said you can buy a childs 50cc quad, rated up to only 24 kilos so dads can't jump on them :(, for $1800 brand new including helmet,gloves and pads. Cheaper to sell and buy new when you put the importation costs into it. :D

MrsDagboy Jan 24th 2005 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Hi Blossom sounds like they have got their wires crossed might be worth giving them a ring just to clarify that your both on about the same thing as to me they are making it sound like a quad bike you would use on the road

Debs xxx

I agree with Debs, call & explain to them that its a kids toy & not for use on the road, sounds like they have their wires crossed to me too. Surely they cant charge that sort of money for something if its designed for a child & has a weight limit on it? :confused: :scared:

blossom Jan 24th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I agree with Debs, call & explain to them that its a kids toy & not for use on the road, sounds like they have their wires crossed to me too. Surely they cant charge that sort of money for something if its designed for a child & has a weight limit on it? :confused: :scared:

Thanks for your responses, I agree in that I too feel that they are taking it to the limit for a kids toy. I have now emailed customs for their interpretation.

Yes their is a weight restriction on the bike, in fact my 9 1/2 yr old grandaughter who is a little on the big side, could hardly get it to move - and there is no way an adult would be able to ride it - wouldn't be able to get feet in the footwells for a start as they are only large enough to take up to a size 3 shoe!

As for buying one in Oz, yes I can do that, but if we can take our grandsons with us at less cost, I do not feel that we should have to sell (at probably a great loss) and then spend more replacing it.

Oh well, lets wait and see what customs have to say - I'll keep you informed as the response may

many thanks
Blossom
:scared: assist others. :mad:

Fastfunker Jan 25th 2005 3:11 pm

Thanks for your responses, I agree in that I too feel that they are taking it to the limit for a kids toy. I have now emailed customs for their interpretation.

Yes their is a weight restriction on the bike, in fact my 9 1/2 yr old grandaughter who is a little on the big side, could hardly get it to move - and there is no way an adult would be able to ride it - wouldn't be able to get feet in the footwells for a start as they are only large enough to take up to a size 3 shoe!

As for buying one in Oz, yes I can do that, but if we can take our grandsons with us at less cost, I do not feel that we should have to sell (at probably a great loss) and then spend more replacing it.

Oh well, lets wait and see what customs have to say - I'll keep you informed as the response may

many thanks
Blossom
:scared: assist others. :mad:

Hi,

I just spoke to John Mason about this as they are picking our stuff up early next week. My son also has a mini quad bike, but it's electric and not petrol-powered. As far as JMI are concerned, this is the distinction that is made by customs. If the bike is petrol, then it is treated differently. God knows why though. I would be interested to hear the response to your mail.

blossom Jan 25th 2005 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
Hi,

I just spoke to John Mason about this as they are picking our stuff up early next week. My son also has a mini quad bike, but it's electric and not petrol-powered. As far as JMI are concerned, this is the distinction that is made by customs. If the bike is petrol, then it is treated differently. God knows why though. I would be interested to hear the response to your mail.

Hi, once I have the response from customs I shall post the information. Good luck with your move! Blossom

The Bloke Jan 26th 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
Hi,

I guess that being battery-powered it is more likely to be classed as a toy. I take it that it was used in the yard. Saying that, just be sure to extra-thoroughly clean it before Masons pick it up. If it is not CLEAN by Aust Quarantine standards, they'll probably slug you when it reaches Australia for cleaning it.

Fastfunker Jan 26th 2005 10:43 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I guess that being battery-powered it is more likely to be classed as a toy.

...my assumption also. Got to do all the cleaning and disinfecting this weekend before John Masons arrive monday; can' wait :eek:

MarkMyWords Jan 27th 2005 1:28 am

It's no wonder we have an increasing obesity problem with toys like this around. What's wrong with pedal-power?

(OT whinge, I know.)

wattle Jan 27th 2005 8:51 am

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
It's no wonder we have an increasing obesity problem with toys like this around. What's wrong with pedal-power?

(OT whinge, I know.)

hehehe you winger!!! We live on a farm hence the quad bike! Also buying an acreage in oz so quad bike will come in very very handy to check stock etc and get the boy earning his keep :D

MarkMyWords Jan 27th 2005 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by wattle
hehehe you winger!!! We live on a farm hence the quad bike! Also buying an acreage in oz so quad bike will come in very very handy to check stock etc and get the boy earning his keep :D

Fine, good reason. (Perhaps; people managed without these things before, you know.) But what's blossom's grandson's excuse for the "garden toy"? On yer bike! I dunno, kids today eh?

I'm also rather surprised that a 50cc engine can be so weedy. That's enough to power a road-worthy moped. Is it deliberately limited or inefficient or something?

Davidd Jan 27th 2005 2:54 pm

I received the following communication from Administrator of Vehicle Standard, Canberra, with regard to importing two childs petrol motorcycles " The Motor Vehicle Standard Act 1989 applies only to vehicles intended for on-road use. The act does not apply to special purpose vehicles, equipment or components that are not permitted to be used on Public roads"

I trust the above is of interest

wattle Jan 27th 2005 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Fine, good reason. (Perhaps; people managed without these things before, you know.) But what's blossom's grandson's excuse for the "garden toy"? On yer bike! I dunno, kids today eh?

I'm also rather surprised that a 50cc engine can be so weedy. That's enough to power a road-worthy moped. Is it deliberately limited or inefficient or something?

LOL yes I know Blossoms grandson well - he's my 6yo son! And I know what you mean about kids, poor blossom has this spending and spoiling habit that she cant break! I have no idea what she thinks shes gonna get them next xmas - a helicopter maybe/??

seriously though the quad is limited although it can be adjusted to travel 30m/h but not with my son on it !!! But it really is tiny!!!

MarkMyWords Jan 28th 2005 12:14 am

Originally Posted by wattle
LOL yes I know Blossoms grandson well - he's my 6yo son!

Sneaky!

I bet he loves it. I would have done. But I still reckon they ought to make pedal-powered ones. With the right gearing they could easily be as usable off-road as limited 50cc powered ones. And if they made ones for adults then I could foresee a whole new sport opening up!