Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids Prescriptions!

Kids Prescriptions!

Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future
Default Kids Prescriptions!

Hi

Just had them 4 little ones to the doctors and they 2 of them needed antibiotics, not used to having to pay for these in the UK, nearly died when I had to pay $35, hope they aren't ill to often.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:39 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids Prescriptions!

It can work out to be very expensive i use to work in a pharmacy here you can go for a generic brand which is cheaper but its a hit or miss sometimes its a good saving sometimes its not depending on the medication.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you do get used to free prescription is the UK.
We moved from the UK to Europe first, and I have kids with medical conditions. I wish I had photographed my hubbies face when he went to pick up an Epi Pen and it cost him around 100 pound!!
Luckily with PBS, Epi Pens in Oz can cost around $15 dollars. But one of our other drugs we may need to try a generic or similar drug as it is pricey here.

Anyway Ive had to pay for a couple of years in Europe so its not such a shock. However for those on lots of drugs it can get costly.

I checked our drugs list on PBS website to get idea of prices. If you have medicare card on permanent or 457 visa (UK agreement) you can use the PBS.

GEMS
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Use this link to read on PBS and you can type in your meds to find the price.

http://www.pbs.gov.au/html/consumer/home

GEMS
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

I remember when I first arrived my son needed some cream for his face, and it cost me $47, and he needs the cream most summers and the cream only lasts for 12 weeks.
I was told you pay for the item not a standard prescription charge.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't afford for kids to be sick! I didn't realise meds were so pricey. Just passed the 2 year mark and not had any prescriptions so heres hoping my kids stay healthy.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
yes we had a shock not long after we arrived I needed a crown on my tooth and I was 6 months pregnant used to free dentist treatment and bang received a bill for $1500. Bronwyn my eldest needs plates top and bottom $1000 each plus $60 a month for a five minute checkup this would have been free in the Uk.
Ashtyn my baby has been diagnosed with Asthma her spacer $50 then ventolin and flixodent $25 dollars approx each. Generic brands do make it cheaper. Im hoping that my 2nd child doesnt get ill. I have calculated my latest tax bill for Health and it was over $3000 dollars. I have been told that as most of is chest xrays, pxs, drs appts etc that we can claim some back. Ill let you know when I go to the tax man.
Another thing to consider when you do come to Aus.
Irene