British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Kids on parents passport. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/kids-parents-passport-186471/)

Arron Oct 22nd 2003 6:00 pm

Kids on parents passport.

Hi everyone.
Sorry if i've asked this question before as i'm still none the wiser.
Our kids (8 and 11) are still on our passports, with the application already submited in May, do we wait for the visa's before applying for the kids own passport or do it now ?
Either way what's involved in notifying DIMIA regarding the passport changes ?:confused:

Arron

johanne Oct 22nd 2003 7:06 pm

Re: Kids on parents passport.

Originally posted by Arron
Hi everyone.
Our kids (8 and 11) are still on our passports, with the application already submited in May, do we wait for the visa's before applying for the kids own passport or do it now ?
Either way what's involved in notifying DIMIA regarding the passport changes ?:confused:

Arron
Hi arron
have you allready sent off your passports or do you do that when they ask you to? not sure about this one but thought you would have to get the kids their own passports before you get the visa put into the passports but as i say im not too sure, ask alan collett...
good luck
johanne

Arron Oct 22nd 2003 7:12 pm

Originally posted by johanne
Hi arron
have you allready sent off your passports or do you do that when they ask you to? not sure about this one but thought you would have to get the kids their own passports before you get the visa put into the passports but as i say im not too sure, ask alan collett...
good luck
johanne
Hi Johanne,
All we've sent so far are photocopies of the passports authenticated by a solicitor. Thanks for the reply, needs looking into further me thinks.

Arron

tinaj Oct 22nd 2003 9:08 pm

I had the same problem last year and my advice is to send off for their own passports asap.

My daughter was on mine and it was only after we had the Meds request that we were advised by Allan Collett ( our agent) that she should have her own. We had to send it off quickly and luckily it was back within 10 days. Then we had to inform DIMIA of her change of passport no etc.

It will be far easier for you if you get them their own passports way ahead of time.

Arron Oct 22nd 2003 9:15 pm

Hi Tina
Thanks for the advice. Will do that asap, but do the changes delay your application ?. I thought that doing it after would have been best as you would already have the visa.

Arron

tinaj Oct 22nd 2003 9:18 pm

Don't do it afterwards because you could run into all sorts of problems. The visas have numbers on them , if you change to a different passport the number has to change as well. You would either have to get the new visas stuck in or permanently carry around the old passport along with the new ones.

You can get a new passport form online, fill it in and they post you a pre-filled copy. Take the form to your Doctor or kid's school and get a Teacher etc to certfiy it and send off the applicaton. You should get the Passports back within 2 weeks.

bondipom Oct 22nd 2003 10:20 pm

At what age are sprogs supposed to go on separate passports?

cresta57 Oct 22nd 2003 11:32 pm

Originally posted by bondipom
At what age are sprogs supposed to go on separate passports?
Since the change in law everyone has to have their own passports even newborns!

bondipom Oct 23rd 2003 12:02 am

Originally posted by cresta57
Since the change in law everyone has to have their own passports even newborns!
Are you supposed to wave them around in the photo booth? The pictures must get out of date quick.

cresta57 Oct 23rd 2003 11:14 am

Originally posted by bondipom
Are you supposed to wave them around in the photo booth? The pictures must get out of date quick.
I guess you must have to but how do you get them to keep their eyes open long enough, not smile or pull faces. Easiest thing would be for everyone to use a copy of Winston Churchills face I reckon all babies look like him regardless of sex:eek: :eek: :eek:
Seriously I'm sure there was talk of using a heel/hand print or somthing as a means of id. Just searching the net for it now:confused:

cresta57 Oct 23rd 2003 11:26 am

.Copied from the passport website.

Does my child need a passport?

All children, from new-born babies to the age of 15, must now have their own individual passport. Once they reach their 16th birthday they then become eligible for a standard 10-year passport.

Children included on passports before 5th October 1998:
Before 5th October 1998 many children were already included on a valid passport. These children can still continue to travel abroad with the passport holder until either:

The child reaches the age of 16:
The passport on which the child is included is submitted for amendment (remember, children cannot be re-added to passports which are submitted for amendment). In these circumstances, you will need to apply for separate passports for any children who were previously included on your passport.

When your child becomes 16:
Once your child reaches 16 years of age they will require their own passport and their details must be removed from yours. Please enclose your passport with your child´s application and it will be returned once the details have been deleted

More FAQ's http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/faqs/faq.asp

Langer Oct 23rd 2003 12:57 pm

All travellers to the US now require their own passport, children are not allowed to travel on their parents passports any longer. I spoke to the Austalian Embassy on this a while back and even though they were not aware of any plans to do the same in Australia they felt it was only a matter of time.

The GoodbyeGirl Oct 23rd 2003 1:15 pm

I have a similar problem. I am at the stage where I am just about to have our visas evidenced in our passports, and have just found out about the requirement for children to have separate passports. My daughter is currently included in my passport. My husband wrote to my case officer and this is the reply he received...

Yes - she can be evidenced in your wife's passport provided she is still
validly attached to the passport at time of evidencing. If you then
subsequently apply for a new passport for your daughter, and carry both
passports, that should be OK. However, in Australia you would want to then
have the visa re-issued into your daughter's passport.

Alternatively, if you first obtain the new passport, and submit to our
overseas office with a written explanation, they can adjust our computer
record and evidence your daughter separately in her own passport.

The second approach would be preferable.

Regards,

I am going with the first approach as I do not want any delays in getting the visas.

markeh Oct 23rd 2003 3:51 pm

Hi Arron,
I was coming back from Frankfurt a few weeks ago and I got held up behind a family that had the children on there passport.

It took ages for them to verify there passports.

Seperate passports wikll be the way to go.
(Use the checking service at the post office - much quicker. )

Bye
Markeh

matt&sue Oct 23rd 2003 4:53 pm

Originally posted by Arron
Hi everyone.

Arron

does anyone know if you have to show your passports when you go for your medicals because we want to send our passports off to get the kids there own passports but we are worried that they might request the medicals while they are sent away

thanks sue