kids 'n' colds

Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:30 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default kids 'n' colds

one for the parents out there!!
once in the warmer climate do you find the kids get less colds/flu?
now that the weather has changed here in the uk, and the kids are back at school/nursery, all 3 of mine have come down with sore throats, coughs and colds! Oliver who was the smallest twin (still is come to think of it) always gets his brother and sister's colds but gets them much worse and takes a week or two to get over them - we wondered if the climate in Oz (SA specifically) will suit him better, or does it not make one iota of difference!?
Also, do you have a child health carer-our health visitor- who monitors your kids growth etc?
took my 3 off to the docs yesterday just to be told ''its a virus - give them regular calpol and plenty of fluids'' is this the general approach by gps out there too?

cheers guys

sue
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: kids 'n' colds

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
one for the parents out there!!
once in the warmer climate do you find the kids get less colds/flu?
now that the weather has changed here in the uk, and the kids are back at school/nursery, all 3 of mine have come down with sore throats, coughs and colds! Oliver who was the smallest twin (still is come to think of it) always gets his brother and sister's colds but gets them much worse and takes a week or two to get over them - we wondered if the climate in Oz (SA specifically) will suit him better, or does it not make one iota of difference!?
Also, do you have a child health carer-our health visitor- who monitors your kids growth etc?
took my 3 off to the docs yesterday just to be told ''its a virus - give them regular calpol and plenty of fluids'' is this the general approach by gps out there too?

cheers guys

sue
I get as many colds here. GPs give that advice and not anti biotics as they do not want more drug resistant bacteria. Being in sealed air conditioned rooms is just as good for the viruses to spread.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:41 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids 'n' colds

Originally posted by bondipom
I get as many colds here. GPs give that advice and not anti biotics as they do not want more drug resistant bacteria. Being in sealed air conditioned rooms is just as good for the viruses to spread.
thats what I wondered. I know that working in an air conditioned environment (the nhs!) is a great recycling ground for bugs!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi
Answer from us is no , we have had more colds here than we did in the uk , kids seem to have permanent sore throats and blocked noses. We dont get those nice cold frosts to kill the germs. Shawnie has had ( according to her school report this year ) 31 and a half days off school , and most of that has been down to colds , they are not happy about it at school , but what can you do !!!
Joanne
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily we've mainly stayed free of colds in this family (so far) although I went down with the flu last month, it's the worst epidemic in WA for some years. During the winter months, there were heaps of ads on tv for cold and flu remedies, just as in the UK. We found it funny, because the winters here are so mild compared to the UK, but everyone gets ill just the same.

My kids are all school age, but I did see a mum somewhere with a kids health book, similar to the ones I was given to record each babies growth, each visit to the baby clinic, immunisations, etc.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

In the summer my 2 were fine, William had a dry snot free nose for the first time in what seems like years. They have both had a cold for the last few weeks which is really surprising for Elliot cos he was cold free for about 4 years in Uk. Maybe he needs a boost of something

Diane
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When you first get here you will not have the immunity to the local colds and viruses. Of course that immunity will develop as you get the colds and viruses.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

We've all still had the usual colds / viruses etc, but we've found the colds not so heavy, they are usually more mild but last for longer eg. think you're getting over it and then you feel rough again.

Had a few throat infections over the summer (never usually have throat problems) and I think this must be down to the air conditioning.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:21 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Doesn't matter what country - the cold bugs are still there. Do what I do - take vitamin C every day (I take an hefty adult dose of 2000mg each day) and haven't had a cold in three years. Seemingly expensive, but definitely worth it. I worked as a contractor (IT) in the UK before coming out here, and a day off would have cost me 600 quid! The 'cost' of the extra vitamins I take? Negligable!!

Prevention if FAR better than cure!