Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids going to UK with grandparents - travel insurance and permissions required

Kids going to UK with grandparents - travel insurance and permissions required

Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all
Default Kids going to UK with grandparents - travel insurance and permissions required

Hi

We are emigrating back to UK from Brisbane. My parents are coming for a holiday in December and taking the kids back to UK with them. My husband and I will follow a little later - just wondering if anyone has done this before?

I am struggling to find travel insurance for 3 kids that are not travelling with their parents - any suggestions? We can't get most UK insurances as we are not resident in the UK. Kids can't get added to grandparents insurance as they are not UK residents and grandparents cannot get Australian insurance where children travel free as they are not Australian residents - arghh!

Also, what permissions do I need to give to my parents to allow them to take the children out of Australia and into the UK?

All help appreciated.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids going to UK with grandparents - travel insurance and permissions required

When we traveeld back to the Uk this year we took out Uk post office insurance.Have a look at that one.My husband arrived in to the Uk without me with the two children.He was asked a couple of questions regarding my whereabouts which wasnt a problem.Not sure if the grandparents will have any issues.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all
Default Re: Kids going to UK with grandparents - travel insurance and permissions required

I had already looked at the post office insurance but there is an exclusion in the policy - see below

Eligibility
To be eligible for this insurance:
• you must be a full United Kingdom resident and;
• have a United Kingdom home address and;
• each trip must start and finish in the United Kingdom.

Looks like you might have been travelling with no insurance!

Cheers

Originally Posted by irishbloo
When we traveeld back to the Uk this year we took out Uk post office insurance.Have a look at that one.My husband arrived in to the Uk without me with the two children.He was asked a couple of questions regarding my whereabouts which wasnt a problem.Not sure if the grandparents will have any issues.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h1tvd
I had already looked at the post office insurance but there is an exclusion in the policy - see below

Eligibility
To be eligible for this insurance:
• you must be a full United Kingdom resident and;
• have a United Kingdom home address and;
• each trip must start and finish in the United Kingdom.

Looks like you might have been travelling with no insurance!

Cheers
Don't go by the website. Their one way one used to be only available by ringing them up. I'm not sure why you're looking at UK ones or adding the kids to the grandparents one. Nip into a Flight Centre shop or any travel shop and ask. Aus Post do travel insurance, again to get what you want you'd need to ring. This lot do a one way (first one that came up on Google). They do mention a parent but again, a call should give you what you want.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:07 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the permission to leave the country and enter UK with grandparents, it might be an idea to type up and get sworn/witnessed a quick stat dec stating that you (giving your full name) give the grandparents (again name them both in full) permission to take your children (their full names) permission to take the childrent from... and to... and specify the dates and the reason for the visit. If you then attach as evidence of who you are a copy of your full birth certificate (or your OH's if it's his parents) then that would show their details as per their passports presumably and the established link can be shown. In all honesty, you probably don't need to do this, but it might smooth things over a bit. You can prepare your own stat dec and just get a JP at the local shopping centre to swear it for you. I know entering the UK last time I was there the immigration chap was subtley checking with my daughter that I was her mum by asking her my name, to which she cheerfully replied "Mummy"
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to SOB's post, I would include something about your parents having authorisation to make medical decisions for the children. If one of them breaks an arm or needs stitches you want your parents to be allowed to authorise it. (I only know about this because my neice broke her arm when she was staying with my parents and the hospital wouldn't anaesthetise her until they spoke to my sister for permission)