Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids getting Wasted

Kids getting Wasted

Old Feb 23rd 2003, 10:58 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids getting Wasted

Thank god I am leaving the locals will start giving me a run for my money , they start them early here , I can understand why anyone would bring their kids here its the education .

It's all the rage for teenagers in Australia , country-wide. Getting wasted. Drinking themselves into oblivion, week in week out. Half of all drug-related deaths amongst young people are now related to alcohol. It's an epidemic, and it's frightening. Thousands of young people, especially girls, on the grog, out of control — and in trouble. And it's happening right under parents' noses.

Old Feb 23rd 2003, 11:22 pm
pankala

Default Re: Kids getting Wasted

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Thank god I am leaving the locals will start giving me a run for my money , they start them early here , I can understand why anyone would bring their kids here its the education .

It's all the rage for teenagers in Australia , country-wide. Getting wasted. Drinking themselves into oblivion, week in week out. Half of all drug-related deaths amongst young people are now related to alcohol. It's an epidemic, and it's frightening. Thousands of young people, especially girls, on the grog, out of control — and in trouble. And it's happening right under parents' noses.

Finding the limits is essential adolescent behaviour. The alternative is automatons. Problem is that some, like PB, are too dim to know about limits and never growing up.

Old Feb 24th 2003, 12:44 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sully4441

Sorry PB,

but its happening over here too. For ever seeing gangs of kids hanging around offies waiting for someone, usually the oldest looking one to get the beer. Distinct lack of parental control. Some of the kids you see on the streets who should be at home.
Shocking. Still who gives a monkeys, the parents and the police don't. report anything and it's ' sorry no one can come out or this is a recorded message and here's your crime number' Whoops nearly got started then, highjacking your thread. Sorry
LMS
Yes I agree its not on , here its more like binge drinking get smashed as quick as possible in the shortest time , the age groups start at 12 years up same old story give kids all they want and watch them foul up.
The Pubs here are full of Kids who think its great to down a pint in 2 minutes flat then throw down a shooter , which go for $5.00 a shot the waste brings tears to my eyes .

An Australian Drug Foundation survey revealed that 70 per cent of girls and boys aged 12 to 17 drank alcohol. Asked to name the last alcoholic drink they had consumed, almost half (46 per cent) named a pre-mixed drink. Another 33 per cent nominated spirits, while only 14 per cent said beer and 8 per cent said wine.

So, it is not the traditional wine and beer that these youngsters are turning to. It is the sweeter (and now cheaper) blends of spirits with either soft drinks or fruit essences. How has this sad situation come about?

When the GST was introduced it was accompanied by a wide range of reforms, including a realignment of excise duties and other taxes on alcohol.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 24th 2003 at 12:57 am.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you will be prepared for this when you get back to the UK, its not just a problem in Australia however much you might like to think all things bad only happen there. Its basically called Youth...just that Girls are now more free to 'express themselves' in ways that was only the reserve of lads in the past.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 7:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Hell PB, I expect most on this forum got up to antics like that when thry were younger. I certainly did. We started on cider, cinzano and horrible sweet drinks, only as you grow up so does your palette and you enjoy the beer and the wine more.

Didn't you use to hit your folks drinks cabinet, or your firends parents'?

It's no different in the UK. I used to be a postman and every Saturday morning on the council estate where I used to deliver there were smashed bottles of alcopops everywhere, vomit, discarded kebabs, cars with smashed windows, mainly youngsters work.

Dan

6 DAYS TO GO!!!
Old Feb 24th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I was a bit of a rebel when I was younger and I drank lots as a teenager, so nothings changes that much!!

We used to get people to buy our drink for us and then get out of our heads on cheap cider.

I don't think things have changed, I wasn't a bad kid, I didn't do drugs, steal or become abusive, It was all about having a laugh with you mates, there wasn't alot to do where we lived.

I am happy to say that I hardly??? drink now, have a lovely family life and a great husband. I work with teenagers who do drink and are very challenging but once you get to know them you see that most of them are great - it has alot to do with peer pressure.

Mandy
Old Feb 24th 2003, 8:50 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

its not just alcohol their abusing. what about them teenagers dieing from e`s and cocaine is very popular here now because its so cheap. i bet not many school kids in oz are dealing drugs at school like they do here, and what about that 4 year old who took an ecstasy pill thinking it was a smarty.
Alcohol and drugs in oz are no where near on the same scale as it is in the u.k.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 10:29 pm
Banned

Originally posted by renth
Bloody Hell PB, I expect most on this forum got up to antics like that when thry were younger. I certainly did. We started on cider, cinzano and horrible sweet drinks, only as you grow up so does your palette and you enjoy the beer and the wine more.

Didn't you use to hit your folks drinks cabinet, or your firends parents'?

It's no different in the UK. I used to be a postman and every Saturday morning on the council estate where I used to deliverthere were smashed bottles of alcopops everywhere, vomit, discarded kebabs, cars with smashed windows, mainly youngsters work.

Dan

6 DAYS TO GO!!!

You are right but them backyard parties are getting a bit more full on?

LITTERED with smashed glass and bottles, the roads were blocked off by police, so the photographer and I parked our car and walked about 100m toward the chaos as the police helicopter circled overhead.

As we reached the scene of the party, tensions were high as a handful of police dressed in riot gear attempted to disperse the crowd of about 700, mostly 17 and 18-year-olds – the core of a crowd which reached 1000 at its peak, according to police at the scene.

Many jumped low fences and ran into the nearby primary school, while others were more aggressive, challenging police, spitting, throwing bottles, rocks and bricks and screaming abusive and foul language.

I could not believe the audacity of some of these young people who ran at police cars, kicking the panels and throwing objects as the cars cruised past.

I asked many teenagers in the street whether it was a birthday party, but the majority had no idea – not one knew the street number of the party house, or the name of the person holding it.

Old Feb 24th 2003, 10:41 pm
Banned

Originally posted by denhim
its not just alcohol their abusing. what about them teenagers dieing from e`s and cocaine is very popular here now because its so cheap. i bet not many school kids in oz are dealing drugs at school like they do here, and what about that 4 year old who took an ecstasy pill thinking it was a smarty.
Alcohol and drugs in oz are no where near on the same scale as it is in the u.k.
Believe or not Australia is in front of the UK in drug use so we come second again being near Asia means its easier to obtain drugs here and the empty land masses grow them to.
I love you when you defend the land of plenty without any idea what goes on here , the young are legally doped up from a young age .

An increasing number of Australians are also using illegal drugs. Cannabis, for example, has been used by more than 44% of the Australian population over their lifetime, and has been recently used by 21%. About half the population has used drugs, currently listed as illicit, including cannabis, at some stage of their lifetime (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 1999), with cannabis being by far the most commonly used illicit drug.

Old Feb 24th 2003, 11:10 pm
pankala

Believe or not Australia is in front of the UK in drug use so we come second again being near Asia means its easier to obtain drugs here and the empty land masses grow them to.
I love you when you defend the land of plenty without any idea what goes on here , the young are legally doped up from a young age .

An increasing number of Australians are also using illegal drugs. Cannabis, for example, has been used by more than 44% of the Australian population over their lifetime, and has been recently used by 21%. About half the population has used drugs, currently listed as illicit, including cannabis, at some stage of their lifetime (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 1999), with cannabis being by far the most commonly used illicit drug.
Drunken Briton is jailed over threat to hijack plane

A drunken British tourist who threatened to hijack a packed aircraft was jailed yesterday in Australia.

Old Feb 24th 2003, 11:25 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I have never seen so many drugs as here in Sydney. Even 6 years ago when I was backpacking here I shared a flat with Aussies who were into pills, coke, crystal meth, whatever they could get their grubby hands on. These were kids from respectable families.
In Melbourne over christmas we saw drugs being bought on trams twice and heard countless tales being recounted at full volume about how drugged up so and so was the night before, and we were only there for 48 hours.
I ran into an old housemate of mine from London the other day, one of those small world coincidences - she was in the same bar as me in North Sydney. She has always been a complete space cadet, dope all day long, e, speed and charlie as often as she can get (usually twice per week). She told me that she has found her own personal heaven here in Sydney. When I asked her what she meant, she said she meant the club scene, the easy access to good drugs, lots of like minded individuals and how after a big night out on the pills she feels nice and warm and safe walking the streets. If you like a drug culture, get over to Sydney or Melbourne, its everywhere.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

loulou74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a drug and alcohol advisor here in the UK, and what PB has been speaking about has been the case in the UK for over a decade. If you go to any western country this will always be the case. Perth is no exception. They do not have any more drug and alcohol users than any other place, BUT as we all grow older we notice these things more. There are ofcause worrying changes in drug use in the young. The biggest worry at the moment is not E's, but crack and heroin, purely as they cause the most problems- overdose, injection site infection, addiction related crime etc. But this is only a small problem in places like Perth, compared to many places in the UK.

So PB, although it might feel like you are surrounded by drug-crazed youth, you must remember that if you come back to the UK you will feel it worse here. I understand that you like to paint australia as riddled with problems, but Oz is no more and no less affected than anywhere else. I believe your feelings have nothing to do with Oz, but are infact a symptom of your own feelings of inadequacy, to which you should seek professional help. There is no failure in asking for this help!
Old Feb 25th 2003, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Its true, as you grow older you seem to notice things more, especially drink and drug. Drugs have been around for years, they will be around for many more years I'm sure.

I got speaking to a man I know who, lives on the streets most of the time. I asked him straight out about drugs and he said most of the kids are taking them and he could get hold of them within 5 mins. Yet he said that at one time he knew that most the kids came from council estates yet now they come from respectable families, this is how he saw the justification of it. They had money to spend he said.

Kids have more money to spend these days and unfortunately some choose to spend it on drink or drugs.

Don't forget that there are alot of kids out there who are happy teenagers that have qualities that most adults don't. Please lets not forget that fact. Not all teenagers do drugs!!
Old Feb 26th 2003, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally posted by loulou74

So PB, although it might feel like you are surrounded by drug-crazed youth, you must remember that if you come back to the UK you will feel it worse here. I understand that you like to paint australia as riddled with problems, but Oz is no more and no less affected than anywhere else. I believe your feelings have nothing to do with Oz, but are infact a symptom of your own feelings of inadequacy, to which you should seek professional help. There is no failure in asking for this help!

Blah , blah yes I only know half a half dozen people whos kids are users here in Perth and one whos girl lays on her back to support her lifestyle , then again Perth is full of Brothels and girls on the game keeping the dealers happy.
They are setting up injection rooms in the city because the public toilets are full of needles 28% the population of WA use some kind of drug .
No its no worse here than anywhere I am sure but also no better.

PS is it not the case that all people that are immigrants are inadequate in some way , I've been pulled up for over confidence many a time but inadequate dream on.
Never needed any help to achive anything the only vice I have is drink but not to excess , you fall in the trap that to see the failings of Australia means that the poster has a mental problem are you Russian by any chance they used the same logic .

Today on ABC in Perth is Dianne McKay is a mother of children who use drugs. This is not unusual in Australia, where the numbers of people who use drugs - legal or otherwise - daily are somewhere in the millions.

Yet she has had the painful and tragic experience of losing one of her children to death by overdose, while some of the others have merely continued their use.

IT IS becoming commonplace to see reports and pictures of so-called parties that resemble scenes from war zones in Third-World countries.

Dozens of police dressed in riot gear try to control hundreds of drunken youths armed with missiles. We see them attacking the officers and smashing their vehicles while nearby residents cower in their homes and helicopters hover overhead. Then when calm is eventually restored, we experience the shame of witnessing frail and elderly women sweeping up the smashed glass and debris littering the streets.

After the latest outrage in High Wycombe, where 400 people were evicted from a community hall and 150 took part in the riot, only two charges were laid (report, 24/2).

In its lack of wisdom, we learn that the Gallop Government has set up a razor gang to slash spending on law and order. One hundred and forty-five officers will be taken off the streets and there are plans to close 22 police stations (report, 22/2).

The police "service" should revert to being a police "force". It has been emasculated by politically correct bureaucrats and officers need to be given extra powers to control these ferals. Magistrates and judges who deal out totally inadequate so-called punishments have to be pulled into line or replaced.

The public deserves better.
PETER STINSON, Redcliffe.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 26th 2003 at 1:34 am.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by denhim
do you think you could be more specific with your details. cocaine cheap? i think not! I don't think the scale of illegal drug taking in Oz is much different from UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.