Wikiposts

Kids and flying Urgh!

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:43 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids and flying Urgh!

Hi,

We are flying to Oz later in the year with our children aged 2 and 3. I am not looking forward to the flight at all although we are breaking it up with a stop over in Hong Kong.

Sometime ago I read a thread regarding people who had flown long haul with their children and had obtained something from their doctors that knocked the kids out for most of the flight!! I think it was some kind of antihistamine (excuse spelling) but am not sure.

Does anyone have any experience of this as I would love to know the name of the drug so I can have a chat with my doctor.

many thanks
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids and flying Urgh!

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

We are flying to Oz later in the year with our children aged 2 and 3. I am not looking forward to the flight at all although we are breaking it up with a stop over in Hong Kong.

Sometime ago I read a thread regarding people who had flown long haul with their children and had obtained something from their doctors that knocked the kids out for most of the flight!! I think it was some kind of antihistamine (excuse spelling) but am not sure.

Does anyone have any experience of this as I would love to know the name of the drug so I can have a chat with my doctor.

many thanks
Either that or you can try Capol (usually used for colds) as you may well already know. This is something you can buy over the counter too which is good.

Other than that my cousin took her 18 month to South Africa late last year and she got him a prescribed sedative, don't know the name I'm sorry but someone else may do.

Good Luck

:scared:
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:51 am
TOB
Forum Regular

Calpol doesn't work with my two!! I think I will definitely need something stronger!! (I'll probably be needing something to!!)

Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Natbat
Either that or you can try Capol (usually used for colds) as you may well already know. This is something you can buy over the counter too which is good.

Other than that my cousin took her 18 month to South Africa late last year and she got him a prescribed sedative, don't know the name I'm sorry but someone else may do.

Good Luck

:scared:
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I think they mean Phenergan - it knocks them out
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:54 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

many thanks

Our children are 3 & 5 and did the flight non-stop apart from a 5 hour stop in Singapore and they coped better than we did, I would say don't give them anything to sleep because when they arrive in Hong Kong they are going to be all refreshed and raring to go and you are going to be shattered.

We took the usual pens/pencils and playdoh etc and they slept on and off, it takes them not too long to realise how boring it is and slept some of the way just because they had nothing to do, it was hard work but we were all tired when we arrived in Brisbane and so we all slept on arrival.

I know yours are a bit younger so it going to be hard but good luck the flight is so worth the arrival!!! Lucky You.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:01 am
TOB
Forum Regular

Good point Leanda, I didn't really think about that. One consolation is that our flight departs at 9pm so if I wear them out during the day they should be pretty tire for the journey. Well that's my theory anyway.

Thanks

Originally posted by leanda
Our children are 3 & 5 and did the flight non-stop apart from a 5 hour stop in Singapore and they coped better than we did, I would say don't give them anything to sleep because when they arrive in Hong Kong they are going to be all refreshed and raring to go and you are going to be shattered.

We took the usual pens/pencils and playdoh etc and they slept on and off, it takes them not too long to realise how boring it is and slept some of the way just because they had nothing to do, it was hard work but we were all tired when we arrived in Brisbane and so we all slept on arrival.

I know yours are a bit younger so it going to be hard but good luck the flight is so worth the arrival!!! Lucky You.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

many thanks

Not sure of the spelling, but I believe there is something called ro hypnol. Works a treat !
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re:travelling with beasts!

Hi TOB-Mrs.Neal here.We're travelling with a 5 year old when we fly out .I think phenergan is a good idea if you are travelling at night(as long as you sleep aswell so that as leanda says they'll be refreshed and you won't-you can get phenergan tabs for adults and liquid for kids!!).Also good for the nerves if you find you're getting stressed on the flight is Bach Recue Remedy(you can get it from Boots or Holland and Barretts).
We're also buying small books/toys/jigsaws etc and putting them away for the flight so that our daughter has new and different things to play with.
Any other ideas and WE'D be grateful of any more advice!!!:scared:
Mrs.N
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:56 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: re:travelling with beasts!

Originally posted by neal
Hi TOB-Mrs.Neal here.We're travelling with a 5 year old when we fly out .I think phenergan is a good idea if you are travelling at night(as long as you sleep aswell so that as leanda says they'll be refreshed and you won't-you can get phenergan tabs for adults and liquid for kids!!).Also good for the nerves if you find you're getting stressed on the flight is Bach Recue Remedy(you can get it from Boots or Holland and Barretts).
We're also buying small books/toys/jigsaws etc and putting them away for the flight so that our daughter has new and different things to play with.
Any other ideas and WE'D be grateful of any more advice!!!:scared:
Mrs.N
Hello

Just back from our meds, which I will talk about on another post.

We found that our 6 year old girl was a dream on the plane, found the whole thing one big adventure, mind you she watched the TV and read most of the time !!

She actually coped with the lack of sleep better than me. I may be totally wrong but once you get past 5 years of age it seems to get better. Our little darling will be 7 by the time we go back and will quite happily glue herself into any book about horses. Found a great range of books yesterday in WHSmiths called Animal Ark and they seem to have her enthrauled.

Our problem is the FOOD - they served our daughter the most vile childrens food when we went and she didn't eat for the whole of the flight, apart from the sticks of carrot, cucumber and grapes we had packed. They wouldn't give her an adult meal !!!

We had a 2 day stop over in Singapore which I would highly reccommend - it's then only a 5 hour trip to Perth. The hotels are very cheap and beautiful - £160 for the 3 of us for two nights. We had a suite with two bathrooms and two balconies and had the most amazing view of the habour, the thunderstorm was superb - something I will never forget. We stayed in the Oriental, but there are others just as good. Fancy tea at Raffles next time !!Singapore was fantastic and we were well rested by the time we got to Oz.

We are seriously thinking of flying out first class when we go for good - which we are still in the process of justifying to ourselves. The thought of being able to recline the seat more than 2 inches is sooooooooooooooo appealing and hopefully better food - but can we really take that sort of money out of the 'pot' for a flight ? - still in debate. Got my eye on the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubia (the big white sail), but we have to rob a bank before we can stop off there!!

Seriously, don't worry, she'll be fine. It's when you have two who play off each other, that the fun? begins.

Take care

Jill

Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first class flights

hi Jill we've been thinking exactly the same about flying first class-justifying it by saying well it's only one way!! Mrs.N
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:30 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: first class flights

Originally posted by neal
hi Jill we've been thinking exactly the same about flying first class-justifying it by saying well it's only one way!! Mrs.N
Mrs Neal

You can say to Mr Neal, I said it was a good idea and I will tell Warren you said it was a good idea !! A united frount !

Jill

Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally posted by debsy

Yep it is definately Phenergan, but I wouldnt suggest you give em to much, we used it about 8 years ago, worked a treat!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:23 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by debsy
Just a word of warning - if you do decided to try Phenergan I would give it a test run before you fly. I am highly allergic to it and swell up like a balloon any time I'm given any. You wouldn't want that happening mid-flight.

Sally
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is Phenergan. It is an antihistamine, but they are nice enough to put suggested “sedation� doses on the side.

Definitively try it out before though because of the reasons above, but also because it can have the opposite effect and makes some kids hyper. The dose is also very much dependent on your child, so you need to work out the correct dose before hand. E.g. your child may be more sensitive to it --> lower the dose, or your child may be large for its age --> increase the dose. Trial and error required.

It took our child at least 2 weeks to get into the correct sleeping pattern, so be prepared for getting up at 3am or so to entertain them. Interviews etc are a bad idea after 2 weeks of interrupted sleep.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sally1968
Just a word of warning - if you do decided to try Phenergan I would give it a test run before you fly. I am highly allergic to it and swell up like a balloon any time I'm given any. You wouldn't want that happening mid-flight.

Sally
Well Said Sally.
Any drugs are not to be messed with.

ALL sedatives can have 'paradoxical' effects.ie.they can make people more agitated.
Even if they work they can have a 'rebound' effect which means that when they wear off the person will find it more difficult to relax again and this may make them worse.

The effect that Sally has described is the same that happens with Peanut and similar allergies and can be fatal:scared:

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.