Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

kids electric scooters

kids electric scooters

Old Jul 11th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Default kids electric scooters

Does anybody know anything about kids electric scooters in Oz. The containers arriving next week, my 11year old has a birthday the week after and he wants an electric scooter, before his birthday, so it can go in the container. A lot of kids have them around here, but are they out in Oz. I have done a bit of research on Web Wombat but I can't find anything. Can anybody help?

Jane
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: kids electric scooters

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Does anybody know anything about kids electric scooters in Oz. The containers arriving next week, my 11year old has a birthday the week after and he wants an electric scooter, before his birthday, so it can go in the container. A lot of kids have them around here, but are they out in Oz. I have done a bit of research on Web Wombat but I can't find anything. Can anybody help?

Jane
Jane, I vaguely remember something on the news about electric scooters last Christmas...i think there are restrictions about where you can use them...probably not allowed on public footpaths & pavements...(is this the same in the UK?) of course regulations may differ in other states...maybe some of the parents out there will be able to give you a better idea...
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

A couple of things I have seen:

http://www.currietech.com.au/road_rules.htm

Scooter riders must comply with all local laws and regulations. Check with your local police or department of motor vehicles (RTA, VicRoads Mainroads etc) to determine local requirements.
Road rules for the use of kick and electric scooters vary between states in Australia. This is due to differing interpretations of what category the scooter rightly belongs to.

Your insurance policy may not provide coverage for accidents involving this product. Contact your insurance agent

And this info from : QLD Transport

Rules for motorised foot scooters
To ride a motorised foot scooter you must:

Wear an approved bicycle or motorbike helmet securely fitted and fastened.
Be 16 years of age or over.

The motorised foot scooter must have:
No more than 200 watts of engine power.
A bell or horn.
At least one effective brake.
When riding at night you must display:
A white light at the front, visible for 200m.
A red light at the back, visible for 200m (this can be worn on the helmet for greater visibility).
A red reflector on the back, visible for 50m.

You can ride a motorised foot scooter on:
Local streets (streets with no white line or median strip).

You cannot ride a motorised foot scooter on main roads.
You can only ride on the footpath (where permitted) with the power turned off.

Motorised foot scooters are not required to be registered or have CTP insurance, however you may like to contact your insurance company to discuss your insurance options.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jane,

they are very popular here and on a lot of kids christmas lists for this year, KMart has a few on sale here at the mo for $130, about £60, so you might be cheaper getting one here, not sure what the uk prices are. I saw 3 kids going to school this morning on their electric scooters

Lisa

Originally Posted by lee/jane

Jane
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Thanks for all your help, but it looks like kids have to be over 16 according to the site ABC put me onto. Now I don't know what to say to him

Jane