KIds eh !!

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:30 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Talking KIds eh !!

My chidren came with us on a reccie trip in March. We had a lovely time. My son had his 7th birthday on the Gold Coast. My daughter is 10 and they both seemed to love oz
The thing is my son is so worried he will lose all his friends :scared: he says he doesn't want to go !!!! He is really sporty and we have told him he will have so much opportunity there to play all sports but it doesn't seem to sink in. My daughter on the other hand says she really wants to go but she is a very sensitive girl and I get the feeling she is saying it cos it is what we want to hear !! The last thing I want to do do is completely turn thier little lives upside down. We are a really loving family and to be honest do not get support from either mine or my husbands side of the family so although we see them all from time to time, I really don't feel that is an issue. Any Advice or anyone with children these ages on sunshine or gold coast who would like to give an oppinion would be welcome ........ sorry I know I go on a bit!!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:16 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: KIds eh !!

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
My chidren came with us on a reccie trip in March. We had a lovely time. My son had his 7th birthday on the Gold Coast. My daughter is 10 and they both seemed to love oz
The thing is my son is so worried he will lose all his friends :scared: he says he doesn't want to go !!!! He is really sporty and we have told him he will have so much opportunity there to play all sports but it doesn't seem to sink in. My daughter on the other hand says she really wants to go but she is a very sensitive girl and I get the feeling she is saying it cos it is what we want to hear !! The last thing I want to do do is completely turn thier little lives upside down. We are a really loving family and to be honest do not get support from either mine or my husbands side of the family so although we see them all from time to time, I really don't feel that is an issue. Any Advice or anyone with children these ages on sunshine or gold coast who would like to give an oppinion would be welcome ........ sorry I know I go on a bit!!!
Hello Jane & Russ
Not going to your neck of the woods, but wanted to help re the children if I can.
My 10 year old has always been very positive from day one, but doesn't want to wait for visa !! She wants to go NOW !!
My middle daughter was dead set against going but was very quiet as she didn't want to upset us. The day we heard the TRA said yes she cried and cried, as she understood that was our first hurdle and that now we could actually apply. Maybe she realised that we really may end up going !!
Now however two of her friends have moved out of the area and another is going to live in Turkey in the new year, she has realised I think, that peoples lives move on and that her friends are also leaving, so things will not be the same for her here anyway.
Now she constantly asks questions relating to areas, schooling, shopping malls (lol) etc, and is now doing research herself.
Naturally I don't have to tell you what a relief this attitude change is, and it has all happened in the last 4/5 weeks.
Try not to worry too much about your son, some children take longer to accept big changes, or even the thought of big changes, than others. I'm sure as time goes on he will come round to the whole idea, after all he would rather be with his family wherever they are at the end of the day, but you have to wait until he realises that for himself.

Good luck and I hope things turn around for you
Carole
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:35 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Hi - slightly different in that we're going to NZ - but I got my kids some e-mail penpals from NZ who can talk with them about school, social stuff, music, clothes etc, and they are looking more forward to the move now that they've got virtual friends. Your 7 year old might need some help with this but the 10 year old should be fine. I posted on the NZ asking for people who knew kids there to get in touch and I got some good responses. I didn't want to join any pen pal website because you don't know who's e-mailing your kids.

Good luck, Jan
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:16 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Hi Jane and Russ, our daughter could not wait to go, but obviously worried about losing her friends etc etc. When the time came, not a tear was shed, and off she popped on the plane and has never looked back!! Yes occasionally she misses them, and often looks at the book of photos and letters she was given from school and we reminisce. But all in all she loves it. School is great and so is home. We try to make the most of weekends even if it is just off to Brissie market or whatever. She settled in from day one at school, although I must admit we don't have people around like we used to, her choice. At the end of the day Australia is full of wonder for the kids, watch their faces when they get to feed roos, touch Koalas, go surfing, all on your doorstep in sun and fresh air!!
ViVi
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:04 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

It is horrible to think of your kids getting upset, but I am sure you are like us, we doing this whole move to Oz for the kids to have a MUCH better life as financially we will be better off and able to give them so many more opportunities!!

I have two kids one is just 6 years old and she was not really up for coming because she didnt want to leave her bestest bestest bestest friend behind!! And while we tried to assure her she would meet new friends there she wouldnt have any of it!!

To my delight and especially that of my daughters her best friend and her family are now also trying to emigrate to Oz, and look like they fancy the same area as us, so problem solved!!

All of a sudden it is all she talks about and is very very excited.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:08 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jane and Russ,

Had the same problem with my middle daughter, just didn't want to come, although she was 12 at the time, now 14. She was the first of my 3 to settle, has loads of friends ect. Still chats to her friends back in UK over the internet and says she wants to go back one day for a holiday. My 9 year old has never had a problem really, missed her friends at first, but then when she got her new friends all was forgoten and now that she is nearly 10 she doesn't know any different really.

Children really do adapt to their new environments, a lot better than adults sometimes.

I worried so much the first day they went to school, when they came home they were full of it, everyone wanted to know about them.

Nobody wants to be taken out of their comfort zone, least of all children, but it will work out in the end, it just takes time believe me.

Good luck

Marie
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jane
I know where you are coming from we having been trying to migrate for 2 years now as our house sale kept falling through. However, we now have a possible completion date for 26th august and my daughter who is 7 is now saying I dont want to leave etc etc. Prior to this she loved it and has been to oz twice and had a great time.

I think its hard but as you know kids fall out with their best friends day to day and im sure when we go hopefully in October it will work out ok.

Best of luck to you
Irene
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It's like the old joke......

Daddy hedgehog says to his son as he is about to spank him "This is going to hurt me far more than it will you".

You will hurt thinking of how upset the children are or will be but they will get over it far quicker than even they realise.

You will have given them a major change that they will cope with given a little time and a whole new outlook on life and living that will put them in good stead for their futures; whether that lies in Australia or not.

We dragged our 2 sons with us (16 & 18) and even now I am not sure if they will settle and stay in Australia.

What I am sure of is that they will have a wealth of personal experience that will tide them well in the future. They will not fear moving around or between countries and I think that is very important nowadays.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:19 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Brisbane in March this year and the kids have settled really wellm my daughter who is almost 9 took longer to settle than my son who is 6, my daughter though has found a best friend and they are inseperable, she does still talk about the UK alot but is enjoying life here.

My son settled from day 1 and says the only thing he misses is food, he is a really fussy eater, I got him some mr kipling cakes today and he was really happy, they both said they miss m&s food...sad I know.

I am sure they will settle with time.

Spalens wife