Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids cars seats..advice please

Kids cars seats..advice please

Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids cars seats..advice please

We're due to move out to Perth at the end of this month and our little girl still uses a junior car seat. It's pretty new, only a year old, we'd like to take it with us. Can we just put a luggage label on it and stick it on with our suitcases to go in the hold?
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all
Default Re: Kids cars seats..advice please

I've heard that Oz won't take UK seats because they don't match Oz specification. Also a friend told me the seats actually have to be fitted so they don't come out. Not like ours.

Do a check on a thread - some people have even binned their seats at the airport when they get there.

Jo
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Yep - they are right - there was a thread on the forum recently - Uk ones are not up to the same specifications as the Oz ones.

So try to sell before you go or give it to someone!!!

sorry

pockygoes
Old Jun 1st 2004, 7:26 pm
DarrenD

I know this is a dumb question, but can you hire cars from the airport with car seats in then ?

What are you supposed to do when you land ?

From memory of my childhood, i remember my dad bolting a carseat to the chassis here in the UK. Of course its not like that now. I assume Aus want the seat bolted to the chassis.

What about booster seats ? Could those be taken over ? Or are booster seats a no no in Aus ?

This is from someone with 2 car seats in each car and 2 in South Africa with wifes parents for when we go over there ......

Old Jun 1st 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DarrenD
I know this is a dumb question, but can you hire cars from the airport with car seats in then ?

What are you supposed to do when you land ?

From memory of my childhood, i remember my dad bolting a carseat to the chassis here in the UK. Of course its not like that now. I assume Aus want the seat bolted to the chassis.

What about booster seats ? Could those be taken over ? Or are booster seats a no no in Aus ?

This is from someone with 2 car seats in each car and 2 in South Africa with wifes parents for when we go over there ......

Hi,

You can hire cars with carseats at the airport, the only thing is that you have to fit the carseat yourself as they will not fit it for you.

they are different than here in the UK as their laws are more tougher than here.

Also carseats in Oz have an extra belt that is fastened to the roof/base/or side of the car as well.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 9:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Several threads about 2 months ago about it; do a search for them, and have a look at www.safe-n-sound.com.au
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Langer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

UK car seats are not legal in Oz. Like the UK the car seats here are buckled in using the seat belt but there is an extra belt which needs to be attached to an anchor point either in the boot or on the parcel shelf. As far as I know Oz ( and NZ?) is the only country with this system. Tell you what though, once the seats are buckled in they are very secure, much better than the systems used elsewhere.

All the major hire car companies will supply car seats, tell them when you make the booking and remind them the day before you leave as well. Also tell them you want it fitted, the guys in the car park area won't fit them for legal reasons but there are people back at the base area who are "trained" in fitting them so you don't have to do it yourself. I've never had to fit them myself when hiring from the airport.

When booking a seat you need to tell the them the type you want. A capsule is from 0 to 6 months, a car seat from 6 months up and a booster seat is the same as the UK.

One thing to watch for when buying a car is where the anchor points for the car seats are located, if they are on the floor at the back on the boot you will end up with the anchor belt across the boot space and you'll be unable to use half the boot, you'll see what I mean once you start looking at cars.

best of luck with the trip out,
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 2:53 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
I've heard that Oz won't take UK seats because they don't match Oz specification. Also a friend told me the seats actually have to be fitted so they don't come out. Not like ours.

Do a check on a thread - some people have even binned their seats at the airport when they get there.

Jo
Hi Jo

Don't know where you friend got that info but I have been here 2 years + with my daughter and her car seat was never fitted so that it does not come out. They do have an anchorage point which makes them very sturdy and yes they are pretty different over here on specifications. My friends take out there baby/toddler seats when they don't need them and want to carry passengers, albeit a bit of a pain to do so.

No baby capsules are allowed in the front seats over here...not like the UK where they are put in reversed and yet you can still see your child. They still go in reversed over here but MUST be in back seat. !!

My advice Dave is sell it. We shipped my daughters baby caspule/seat etc over here and have never used it due to different laws !!It was only 6 months old and cost a little fortune !Still live and learn as they say !!

Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:36 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by Pants
Hi Jo

Don't know where you friend got that info but I have been here 2 years + with my daughter and her car seat was never fitted so that it does not come out. They do have an anchorage point which makes them very sturdy and yes they are pretty different over here on specifications. My friends take out there baby/toddler seats when they don't need them and want to carry passengers, albeit a bit of a pain to do so.

No baby capsules are allowed in the front seats over here...not like the UK where they are put in reversed and yet you can still see your child. They still go in reversed over here but MUST be in back seat. !!

My advice Dave is sell it. We shipped my daughters baby caspule/seat etc over here and have never used it due to different laws !!It was only 6 months old and cost a little fortune !Still live and learn as they say !!

Good luck.

In NSW it is the law that car seats are anchored to cars for children up to a certain weight - can't remember what though. Once they are big enough they can go into booster seats which are just like the ones in the UK.

Do a search under "child car seats" and then the state you are moving to in "google" that will give you the exact rules.

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

This website is another good one to check rules, and it has every state listed.

Only restraints carrying the Australian Standard AS 1754 label are approved for sale in Western Australia and you should ensure that any product you purchase carries this label. Also ensure that the restraint purchased is suitable for your vehicle, particularly if you have a small car or older vehicle. If in any doubt, seek advice from DPI or Kidsafe WA.
The Queensland Government Office of Fair Trading's 'About Baby & Children's Safety (ABCs)' brochure has more information about buying and fitting safe child restraints. You can view the publication online.
All child restraints used in Australia must comply with current Australian standards - one of the main features of which is the use of a rear strap to an anchor point. Australian child restraint standards are some of the most stringent in the world and most overseas child restraints do not comply with these standards and cannot legally be used in Australia - this includes restraints from countries such as the UK and USA.

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh bugger it

Looks like it won't be coming with us then!!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

very usefull info as we were planning on buying new seats and taking them with us.

Great site
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 8:53 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta for all the info, couple of very handy websites there. Are there any similar situations with things like travel cots? We have a nice one and we were planning to take it with us.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pants
Hi Jo

Hi Pants

So what will you recommend for us. Our baby could be anything from 7 months to just over a year before we come out? I'll have to get my brother to buy one and have it fitted to his car, then transfer it to ours when we get one.

Incidently, we are not allowed rear facing seats in the front here if you have airbags. I phoned mitsubushi to see if I could have the airbag disconnected and they refused on safely and insurance grounds.

Jo
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Just to add to anyone who is getting a taxi from the airport when landing. Don't worry about baby seats - Aus taxi companies are much more geared up for this sort of thing than in the UK and they will arrange for a cab with whatever sort of seat you need.

Ditch those UK carseats !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.