Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids and Australian accent

Kids and Australian accent

Old May 29th 2008, 10:22 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids and Australian accent

I'm a real natural mimic - I guarantee I'll be speaking like a native within a week of arriving
Old May 29th 2008, 10:30 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nowthat
Not that I am a linguistic purist trying to verify the cliche but:

Will the kids 'embrace' the distinctive Australian accent (and lingo) after having started schooling in Oz and lose their 'native' way of speaking the language ?

Your observations pls.
Does this depend on age, anybody whose kids were able to 'preserve' their 'native' way of speaking?

Is the phenomenon i(?) inevitable and just waiting to happen sooner rather than later? At home we speak our 'own' way

Gracias

PS No offence to all Australian English speakers
The older they are when you get here, the less likekihood of them sounding like aussies. Have to say tho, not all aussies have that god awful twang in their voice. Avoid Queensland LOL
Old May 29th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I was born in UK and grew up in SA from a baby, all my friends at school knew I was English despite growing up in SA and never setting foot in the UK until I was well into my teens.
I think its down to my parents always correcting my grammer, speech etc and never picking up a saffer accent themselves. All my brothers and sisters are the same, except my ozzie sister who seemed to pick up the oz accect in weeks, despite never picking up a saffer one in 25 odd years of living there!!!
Old May 29th 2008, 10:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Aussie accent is the same as every other accent.
Some people have a lovely version and others really grate

Same with Irish, Scots, Cockney, Geordie etc
Old May 29th 2008, 10:41 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I think the Aussie accent is the same as every other accent.
Some people have a lovely version and others really grate

Same with Irish, Scots, Cockney, Geordie etc
Disagree... the Kiwi accent is just perfectly pleasant by comparison. Mind you, even though I've travelled I might be a tad biased.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Is anyone watching that Aussie driving show, I cant remeber the name but those drivers are SOOOO bad, but I noticed last night the going up at the end of every sentance and after a while it got a bit annoying, OMG I do hope I can get over this or Im in a load of trouble

I loved the Aussie acent when I was out there, maybe it sounds more pronounced on the TV???

Ju
Old May 29th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

i think my kids are picking up a scouse accent!
Old May 29th 2008, 10:45 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
I was born in UK and grew up in SA from a baby, all my friends at school knew I was English despite growing up in SA and never setting foot in the UK until I was well into my teens.
I think its down to my parents always correcting my grammer, speech etc and never picking up a saffer accent themselves. All my brothers and sisters are the same, except my ozzie sister who seemed to pick up the oz accect in weeks, despite never picking up a saffer one in 25 odd years of living there!!!
Interesting point. [I] met a guy from NZ who grew up there from an infant but had a perfected 'upper class' English accent. Turned out his parents were school teachers from England LOL. Need I say more?
Old May 29th 2008, 10:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nowthat
Will the kids 'embrace' the distinctive Australian accent (and lingo) after having started schooling in Oz and lose their 'native' way of speaking the language ?
I'm like, your kids might like, end up with like, an aussie accent but like, I wouldn't like expect them to like start trotting out aussie lingo. I'm like, if they're anything like most of the kids I hear, they'll like fully talk like this.

Whatever!
Old May 29th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm like, your kids might like, end up with like, an aussie accent but like, I wouldn't like expect them to like start trotting out aussie lingo. I'm like, if they're anything like most of the kids I hear, they'll like fully talk like this.

Whatever!
Oh gawd, drives me bonkers! The majority of the students at uni talk exactly like that. Supposedly intelligent people
Old May 29th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
I loved the Aussie acent when I was out there, maybe it sounds more pronounced on the TV???

Ju
Um, I have a bit of bad news for you .......
Old May 29th 2008, 11:22 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

my eldest has a wee twang but still sounds scottish with some aussie mixed through she came here aged 2 now she's 5.

i hate the way some aussie's say" but "after every sentence its annoying.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81

i hate the way some aussie's say" but "after every sentence its annoying.
....but they do that in Glasgow as well, but!
Old May 29th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

and N.Ireland but...

I love the thought of my little 2 year old with an Aussie accent, too cute.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Disagree... the Kiwi accent is just perfectly pleasant by comparison. Mind you, even though I've travelled I might be a tad biased.
Beg to differ. You as a nation, appear to have major problems pronouncing your vowels but 'whatever' Friends living on SI were rung up by his brother. The son answered and was heard to say 'they're on the dick' turns out he meant deck but it made for an interesting conversation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.