Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping UK credit card

Keeping UK credit card

Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping UK credit card

I'm heading over on a 457 Visa and selling my house in UK. My credit cards are obviously registered at my current address, do UK cc companies need you to change the registered address to Oz or is it better not to tell them (get statements online and will arrange for mail to be forwarded).
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping UK credit card

Also having kept money and credit cards in the UK, can I book flights to UK and back from UK based accounts in £ since it currently works our cheaper than paying in $ from and Oz based account?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I'm heading over on a 457 Visa and selling my house in UK. My credit cards are obviously registered at my current address, do UK cc companies need you to change the registered address to Oz or is it better not to tell them (get statements online and will arrange for mail to be forwarded).
I changed one (Virgin). I tried changing Barclaycard, but they refused to do it.

So just change to online statements and get it forwarded.

Also having kept money and credit cards in the UK, can I book flights to UK and back from UK based accounts in £ since it currently works our cheaper than paying in $ from and Oz based account?
Yep I would imagine so you can.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:01 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

I kept one with my bank - firstdirect - but told them I was moving. If you don't and your card is at your old address you could have problems getting goods delivered to non registered address. I have used it several times and its very useful.

On booking flights etc, yes you can also do this - however you can't get round the cost difference by booking in pounds through a uk agent and starting the flight in Oz. You will still pay the Oz cost of the fare.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:43 am
ABCDiamond

I still have my HSBC credit card and they happily send my statements over here.

Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:47 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my LloydsTSB debit card as some of my income still comes from the UK into my UK bank account. I have changed all my address details to Oz. It all works very well.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I kept my LloydsTSB debit card as some of my income still comes from the UK into my UK bank account. I have changed all my address details to Oz. It all works very well.
With Lloyds, you can't change your address (to an Oz one) online. They send you a paper form to fill in, (to your old address) which you need to have forwarded to you in Oz, then fill it in and post it back via snail mail.

How clever is that?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:52 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
With Lloyds, you can't change your address (to an Oz one) online. They send you a paper form to fill in, (to your old address) which you need to have forwarded to you in Oz, then fill it in and post it back via snail mail.

How clever is that?
erm...I went into the branch before I left the UK and did it there. They will accept an as from date.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the advice folks

I'll give them a phone and enquire about changing the address, if they don't do it I'll just leave it as is.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I still have my HSBC credit card and they happily send my statements over here.
Do you know if the record of payments etc is still maintained on your UK based credit file ie experian or equifax?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
erm...I went into the branch before I left the UK and did it there. They will accept an as from date.
Always a loose end. Should have done that. Oh well.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:18 am
ABCDiamond

Do you know if the record of payments etc is still maintained on your UK based credit file ie experian or equifax?
Good question, no answer though. I've never even thought about that.

Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, just because you have left it doesn't mean they turn your recording off. Any missed payments etc will still go on there.