Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK Bank Account open when emigrating to Oz?

Keeping a UK Bank Account open when emigrating to Oz?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Keeping a UK Bank Account open when emigrating to Oz?

Hi Guys

Can anybody please advise me I went to my bank Barclays and they advise me that if I am out of the country for more than 6 months I am not meant to keep an account open in the UK by rights.

The only thing is I have a rental property here in the UK which I am going to keep on until or if the prices start going up and have the rent payments paid into my account.

What do must people do in this situation please? Do must people who emigrate still keep an account open or do they transfer it into there Aussie Bank Account?

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Kind regards

Debbie
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK Bank Account open when emigrating to Oz?

I've still got my account and they send me bank statements directly to my Australian address. I hadn't used the account for 12 years until last year.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

Can anybody please advise me I went to my bank Barclays and they advise me that if I am out of the country for more than 6 months I am not meant to keep an account open in the UK by rights.

The only thing is I have a rental property here in the UK which I am going to keep on until or if the prices start going up and have the rent payments paid into my account.

What do must people do in this situation please? Do must people who emigrate still keep an account open or do they transfer it into there Aussie Bank Account?

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Kind regards

Debbie
Tosh there are people on here who have been out here many years and still have UK accounts. If your branch of Barclays are reluctant to let you have an Aussie address open an account somewhere else
I've got a Lloyds account and a Lloyds Visa card, they send new cards to me here in Aus with no problem, and if you search the forum you'll find many people have kept their UK accounts open - makes it easier when home on holiday, and if you have kids its easy for people to put money in for them and you draw it out here. If you have a rental property there then you definitely should keep an account open.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to say, my account is with HSBC, so they have no problem with keeping an account open.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

As other have said its rubbish. My uncle is with Barclays and lives in Australia. I have an account in the HSBC and Natwest and both said its ok to do this.

Just one tip, if you dont have online banking, get it setup will be handy if your in Australia.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Have had an account with the Co-op for the 32 years that we have been here and never had a problem.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Have had an account with the Co-op for the 32 years that we have been here and never had a problem.
Do you still claim the Divi?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:58 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We bank with Barclays and have a current and savings account with them. They know we live in Australia, and were happy to send bank statements etc to my in-laws.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've still got my Natwest account after 6 years, I should have collected the pigs too, they are worth a fortune ...
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I should have collected the pigs too, they are worth a fortune ...
You just nostalgia bombed me.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

As said, they're talking total crap.

I'm with the piddly little Yorkshire Bank and I have both internet and telephone banking set up. I move large amounts of money around with very little hassle (occasionally a signature is needed - that's where a fax machine comes in handy).

UK credit cards are, IME, slightly trickier. We find it handy to keep a couple going so use the in-laws' address for those, although we were upfront with the providers about not being resident.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:09 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog
You just nostalgia bombed me.
"The piggies are waiting, piggaroo, pigaroo ..."
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:11 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

We have Natwest accounts, statements and letters come directly to our Australian address and have done for 15 years. It's handy to have when sending money to family and purchasing UK goods.

It'll also be handy when our UK pension is paid into it in a few years time ( if there's any left ) and can be drawn directly from the hole in the wall here.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

When we first left the UK in 1995 we opened an account with NatWest in the Isle of Man, (now owned by RBS I think) used all of our local (foreign) addresses including our current Australian one for years with no problem.

We also have a UK property and use it as a "home" address for things like premium bonds. One year of post redirection from the Royal Mail costs GBP135

We found it too difficult initially to set up the redirection remotely, so asked my UK based Dad to go to the Post Office for us. Once it is set up it is easy to renew online, as we have just done.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by killerhales
When we first left the UK in 1995 we opened an account with NatWest in the Isle of Man, (now owned by RBS I think) used all of our local (foreign) addresses including our current Australian one for years with no problem.

We also have a UK property and use it as a "home" address for things like premium bonds. One year of post redirection from the Royal Mail costs GBP135

We found it too difficult initially to set up the redirection remotely, so asked my UK based Dad to go to the Post Office for us. Once it is set up it is easy to renew online, as we have just done.
You must like junk mail a lot to spend 135 quid a year to get it flown over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.