Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK Bank Account open?

Keeping a UK Bank Account open?

Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz n Paul will become famous soon enough
Default Keeping a UK Bank Account open?

Hello,

How long are you allowed to keep a UK bank account open for if you live in Australia

We are moving to Aus at the end of October but I want to keep a UK account open

Thanks in advance

Shaz
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK Bank Account open?

Originally Posted by Shaz n Paul
Hello,

How long are you allowed to keep a UK bank account open for if you live in Australia

Thanks in advance

Shaz
we still have a natwest account which we use by the tinternet ( been here 1 yr ) and the statements get sent to my aunties house

its really useful for any uk related costs eg birthdays etc i go on tesco.com to send flowers etc to mum
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:10 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

My in-laws have been in Australia for nearly 10 years and they still have a UK account. I think it's with Natwest too...

I'm not sure what the registered address is though - it could be at a family address in the UK...

Let me know if you want more information and I can ask them next time I speak to them.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

my brother still has a UK account after 3 & half years, he has any corespondance sent to Oz, and so does his inlaws and they've been there 20 odd years.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz n Paul will become famous soon enough

Brill, thanks for your help.

I thought so, I just didn't want to find a big fine slapped on my account for not residing in UK!

With 6 weeks to go I think I'm just a bit jumpy at the mo!!!

Thanks again

Shaz
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I thought so, I just didn't want to find a big fine slapped on my account for not residing in UK!

Thanks again

Shaz
theres a million and one things to do at this stage
so i guess we will be hearing more from you
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again

Shaz
We still have out TSB account and still pay for our life insurance out of it. Cheaper than taking out a new policy. We opted for paperless statements and any other correspondence including our new cards are sent to us here.

Jo
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

As per what others have said, we have kept an Abbey & a Barclays account open. It's handy for relatives to pay money in at Xmas & birthdays (not that we expect it, but you know what grandparents are like!) rather than send money through the post. (Any of way would be too confusing for them!)
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Thanks in advance

Shaz

You can keep your UK bank account open as long as you like, but if there is no movement in the account after a year the bank will make the account dormant. Either move money from that account to another or take ten pounds out once a year to keep the account active.

Debbie
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

28 years and no problems at all - it's not an issue. Statements come to my Aus address and I can access it via the internet. Another good thing is that you can do internet electronic transfer of funds to a UK account so if you want to go for holidays etc, your money is there without bothering about travellers cheques etc. Now if only the Coop would have a reciprocal arrangement but it seems that UK banks dont yet have the capacity for internet transfer of funds internationally.