Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK bank account

Keeping a UK bank account

Old May 6th 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all
Default Keeping a UK bank account

I know that some people have kept a UK bank account open once they have moved to Australia, if you have done this could you tell me which bank you are with? Are they quite happy to send statements etc to Australia?

Alliance & Leicester say that if I move abroad the account must be closed. The problem is that it's not my account, it belongs to an elderly relative for whom I have power of attorney. They say that even though the account holder is not moving abroad, the account would stull have to be closed because I help to operate it.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK bank account

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
I know that some people have kept a UK bank account open once they have moved to Australia, if you have done this could you tell me which bank you are with? Are they quite happy to send statements etc to Australia?

Alliance & Leicester say that if I move abroad the account must be closed. The problem is that it's not my account, it belongs to an elderly relative for whom I have power of attorney. They say that even though the account holder is not moving abroad, the account would stull have to be closed because I help to operate it.
Had one with Lloyds for years, they have my Aussie address and forward everything here in the way of cards and stuff. I do all the banking over the internet, and that includes maintaining my Lloyds credit card.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Okay, thanks for that. Anybody with the Halifax/Bank of Scotland?
Old May 6th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

The UK building sociteies don´t allow non residents to have accounts.You can, if you want, have an account in say Nationwide Isle of Man. This kind of account doesn´t allow cheques or credit cards; it´s basically if you want to have your savings offshore with interest paid without deduction of tax. The normal high street banks in the Uk have no problem with your having an account when you are non resident. I have had one with Lloyds and have been non resident for over 40 years now, and manage everything via the internet with them.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one with Natwest, do most of my stuff online, never had any problems.

Sam
Old May 6th 2010, 11:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I too have a Natwest account and operate it with no issue from here.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

I still have mine with HSBC, also still got a HSBC credit card. They send statements to Australia with no hassles, even after 10 years

The day before we last moved over, I even opened a new account for my daughter, in case she ever comes back, she was 2 at the time

But the £1,000 I put there, which was worth A$2,700 at the time, is now only worth A$1,660

Old May 7th 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

[QUOTE=Sunshine7;8547349]I know that some people have kept a UK bank account open once they have moved to Australia, if you have done this could you tell me which bank you are with? Are they quite happy to send statements etc to Australia?

Have an HSBC acc open though not used, an HSBC credit card. Also a Nationwide account. Internet banking. Will be closing soon as we are now here for good.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Had Halifax current and savings accounts and credit cards while living in the US they had our accounts registered at my US address and sent all paperwork there no problems.

Did all banking over the internet no problems.

Moving to OZ soon and fully expect to keep my Halifax account and expect no problems.

We have also opened a HSBC account as I have been told that it is very easy to open a bank account in OZ with them if you have a Premier account with them in UK or another country.

Hope this helps.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Lloyds and a Nationwide account.

Nationwide are great, everything can be done online, I'd definitely recommend them.

Lloyds TSB on the other hand I would recommend you steer clear of. For the last 18 months they appear to be being intentionally awkward when I try to change my address (from Oz to Oz). You can't do it online and have to send a form to a central admin address. Every time I send them a change of address form and a certified copy of my passport they send me a letter back saying my signature doesn't match and that I must send the form with a certified copy of my passport!! This has happened 3 times now (the last certified copy was stapled multiple times to the form and I still received the same standard letter back!!). After the first time I received this letter I happened to go back to the UK so I went into my branch and verified my signature hasn't changed and matched their system (been the same for about 20 years). I'm now waiting for Lloyds TSB complaint department to hopefully sort it out before I have to go to the banking ombudsman.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BriBri UK

We have also opened a HSBC account as I have been told that it is very easy to open a bank account in OZ with them if you have a Premier account with them in UK or another country.
Its easy to open an account with any bank in Oz. Just turn up at a branch with your 100 points ID (your passport will do for the first 6 weeks after arrival) and they will open up an account for you while you wait.

All the big 4 will also allow you to open up an account in advance of arrival and deposit money in, you just can't take it out again until you have completed the 100 point check which is easier done in Australia.

The problem with HSBC accounts these days is ATMs charge you if you haven't used a card which is from the same bank as the ATM (and there aren't many HSBC cashpoints around).
Old May 7th 2010, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

I have some accounts with Halifax which we are leaving open. The only one which needs closing is the current account which requires a certain amount deposited each month. We also have an account with the Nationwide. They know we are moving abroad but we've given them my dads address for any mail. I tend to sort things out online anyway. If required he can scan things in and email them to me.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I must be missing something. I know about the advantages of having a credit card when you first arrive and keeping one until you have an Aussie one but whats the point afterwards. I also understand about investments overseas.

Who cares about banks thousands of miles away.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:52 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

That's strange...I have an Alliance and Leicester account. It was at my Mums address when we first emigrated but I changed it with no problems to my Australia address when she died in 2008.....They send statements and cards no problem??

Old May 7th 2010, 9:55 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, Halifax, no problems at all so far, my UK mortgage and a few other direct debits continue to come out of it and well, so far so good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.