Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK Bank Account

Keeping a UK Bank Account

Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Keeping a UK Bank Account

We've just got our Visa through and are just waiting for a buyer for the house so we thought it was a good time to try and get everything in order and we've come a bit stuck with regards keeping a current account over here.

Our current a/c is at Firstdirect and we have savings account with the halifax. Firstdirect charge if you have less than a certain amount going in unless you have other products and as we will be closing down everything else (mortgage, credit cards....etc..) I don't fancy being charge to keep it.

We can keep the websaver with the halifax but it doesn't fit our needs.
Can anyone give any advice/experience on which bank to go with? Our requirements are:

Operatable from OZ - online or telephone
debit card available - for purchasing christmas present for family etc online
can keep about 1k balance - no more....

thanks in advance.

Shelley
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a UK Bank Account

Just get an ordinary account from Halifax. Can operate online, can have a switch/visa card, can leave whatever balance you want.
I also have ones with Nationwide, RBS, Egg, Sainsburies.... in fact I only closed about two cards down, that I never used anyway.
It's not like here where they bloody charge you every month! No harm in keeping them open just in case.
You can request no paper statements (altho RBS may ignore this, they have ignored us on this point) or you can give your australian address, although this will probably have to be done in writing so it will take a few weeks to get sorted out.

Not something to worry about though, easy as pie!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

dnno if this will be any help, but i have kept my bank accooun open in scotland, coz i had a couple of policy's i wanted to keep up, it is just an everyday account and i dont think i get charged for anything and i can access it online.

I think it is a good idea to keep an account open, coz once you closed them all , i imagine you would have great difficulty if you ever needed to open one for any reason
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:19 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

We have kept our Lloyds TSB account open, changed address to Oz one, all A ok,
We also have a Halifax AC but it states on their web site that their accounts are for UK residents only, so we put that one to a rele's addi!

Both are internet friendly and card use for internet purchases!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sheli0508
We've just got our Visa through and are just waiting for a buyer for the house so we thought it was a good time to try and get everything in order and we've come a bit stuck with regards keeping a current account over here.

Our current a/c is at Firstdirect and we have savings account with the halifax. Firstdirect charge if you have less than a certain amount going in unless you have other products and as we will be closing down everything else (mortgage, credit cards....etc..) I don't fancy being charge to keep it.

We can keep the websaver with the halifax but it doesn't fit our needs.
Can anyone give any advice/experience on which bank to go with? Our requirements are:

Operatable from OZ - online or telephone
debit card available - for purchasing christmas present for family etc online
can keep about 1k balance - no more....

thanks in advance.

Shelley
Hi,
Thanks for posting that question, I was unsure about it too!!! How would you go about renewing debit card once expired?? where would they go ??

Sorry to answer a question with another question !!!

Zoe x
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:31 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We opened an account with Nationwide (Flexi Account) which we will keep open when we go to Oz, because you can operate it via the internet without the need for paper bank statements.

You need to give a UK address, so we will be giving them a relative's address as ours when we leave. New debit cards will be sent to the relative's address ('cause Nationwide will think we live there) and our relative will post them to us.

Gina
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

cheers,

I won't have a uk address though. OH doesn't want to use my sisters as he doesn't entirely trust my brother in law - suppose at a push we could use his mums up in scotland but we'd rather not. does anyone have one based solely on a oz address?

thanks again,

Shelley
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:43 am
Ready to go home!!!

Ginger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant futureGinger1002 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GinaUK
We opened an account with Nationwide (Flexi Account) which we will keep open when we go to Oz, because you can operate it via the internet without the need for paper bank statements.

You need to give a UK address, so we will be giving them a relative's address as ours when we leave. New debit cards will be sent to the relative's address ('cause Nationwide will think we live there) and our relative will post them to us.

Gina
Hi Gina,

We have a Nationwide flex account and you do not have to have a UK address. We have given them our Oz address and they are more than happy with that. We get sent our statements and I have just received my new card direct from them. Might be easier for you than re-directing to a relative.

HTH

Emma
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:23 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We're with HSBC and have full access to our account online and over the telephone. No problems at all
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

why not keep first direct plus their credit card for buying presents etc- that way you should not incur costs!

we have a FD account and they send statements plus new cards to our address in Oz.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
We have kept our Lloyds TSB account open, changed address to Oz one, all A ok,
We also have a Halifax AC but it states on their web site that their accounts are for UK residents only, so we put that one to a rele's addi!

Both are internet friendly and card use for internet purchases!

I have a Halifax AC also, but moved from Uk to Eire and changed addy.

they dont give a hoot as long as you dont go overdrawn.

Therefore I dont see me moving to OZ a prob for them. Its just a few punches into the computer for them.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ginger1002
Hi Gina,

We have a Nationwide flex account and you do not have to have a UK address. We have given them our Oz address and they are more than happy with that. We get sent our statements and I have just received my new card direct from them. Might be easier for you than re-directing to a relative.

HTH

Emma
I agree, you have to have a UK address to open the account but once it's open you can change the address to a foreign one. The other advantage of them is they don't charge extra fees to withdraw from a foreign cashpoint meaning my parents can pay birthday monies into the account in UK pounds and I can take it out in aussie dollars and buy my presents.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spottydog
I agree, you have to have a UK address to open the account but once it's open you can change the address to a foreign one. The other advantage of them is they don't charge extra fees to withdraw from a foreign cashpoint meaning my parents can pay birthday monies into the account in UK pounds and I can take it out in aussie dollars and buy my presents.
Thats a great point as my mother in law wants to put money for my children into an account for birthdays, christmas etc...

I will just leave my basic current account going and let her pay it in there!

Zo x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:09 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We operate our Nat West account via internet, they are happy enough for us to be Aus residents. The internet access is easy. We have full banking and credit card with no income going in.

My MIL also has full access and that has made things easier but not necessary because we left the country before selling our house.

Keeping a UK bank account is a sensible step, even if never considering stepping back.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheli0508
I have a FirstDirect currect account and an online saving accout ...
you can switch money between the two at anytime ..
workss great for me in the US ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.