Reload this Page >

Keeping a toddler amused at Heathrow

Keeping a toddler amused at Heathrow

Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:12 am
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping a toddler amused at Heathrow

Any ideas on keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy at the airport prior to getting on the plane?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:17 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a toddler amused at Heathrow

Originally posted by EEL
Any ideas on keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy at the airport prior to getting on the plane?

Go to your local cheapo shop - poundland or somewhre like that - buy up as much cheap toys as you can carry, wrap em up, and then give one to the kiddy when they start to get bored. buy toys cheap enough to chuck out, but enough to keep them amused. works for me on long bus journeys or train trips!!

good luck!!

sue
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:21 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

No chance! I try and keeo mine up all day, and hopefully by the time we get to airport they are knackered and crash out in the buggy!!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Let the kid run about like crazy in the gate lounge, pretending to be a plane etc, bumping into all the old crusties and shouting at the top of his voice if possible.

Then get to the front of the queue and get on first with as much extra hand luggage as you feel like and especially the bulging 'day' bag with nappies and toys etc plus the pushchair - they never put young parents' stuff in the hold. You can bag as much overhead storage space as you like because you're first on.

And you get the best seats, too, if you reserve the bulkhead/ basinette.

Might annoy a few old misery guts at the airport but hey! that's just saving a bit of time.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:07 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I thinking of putting mine in baggage.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by diddy
I thinking of putting mine in baggage.
LOL Good idea
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:28 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by EEL

Keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy at the airport prior to getting on the plane is no different to keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy anywhere else.

Just do what you normally do to keep him/her happy.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:39 am
EEL
Forum Regular

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy at the airport prior to getting on the plane is no different to keeping an active, easily bored 2.5 year old happy anywhere else.

Just do what you normally do to keep him/her happy.

I was really asking because I wanted to know if there was a play area or somewhere my son could run around, or even if there is somewhere where you can see the planes taking off.

I don't usually tend to go spend 2 - 3 hours in places where my son has to sit quietly after spending an hour in the car.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice big playground called 27Left.............

(feeling wicked, sorry to all parents!!)
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

I think the cheap toys suggestion is a good one. Also colouring books and crayons and storybooks for on the plane. At the airport you could walk your child around and look at things as it will be interesting for them. This will also expend some energy before you get on the plane. I think keeping them active is your best bet as I know my kids don't stay still for long and trying to keep them still leads to stress. Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:52 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by EEL
I was really asking because I wanted to know if there was a play area or somewhere my son could run around, or even if there is somewhere where you can see the planes taking off.

I don't usually tend to go spend 2 - 3 hours in places where my son has to sit quietly after spending an hour in the car.
Airports tend to be pretty good places to watch planes taking off
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:01 am
EEL
Forum Regular

Airports tend to be pretty good places to watch planes taking off

Thanks for that - you are full of useful information today!

Any chance of you telling me where in the airport is the best place to go to see them take off. Is there a viewing gallery on one of the floors? I presume we should steer clear of the basement levels as you would not be able to see much from there.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:46 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by EEL
Thanks for that - you are full of useful information today!

Any chance of you telling me where in the airport is the best place to go to see them take off. Is there a viewing gallery on one of the floors? I presume we should steer clear of the basement levels as you would not be able to see much from there.
Why thank you.

Here are some suggestions that might help.

1. Check in as early as you can, get good seats reserved on the plane, then bugger off somewhere else for a few hours. You are not obliged to go to departures straight away just after you have checked in. This will minimise the time you actually spend at the airport.

2. If possible, pre book your seats with the airline. Then, you can check in very late and again, minimise your time at the airport.

3. What terminal are you flying from? Facilities vary greatly. It may be worthwhile paying for lounge access if you dont have it already.

4. Dont quote me, but I think Heathrow has closed its viewing gallaries - prefering people to use their visitor centre instead.

5. Watching planes take off loses its appeal after 5 minutes for most 2.5 year olds unless they have Asperger's Syndrome.

6. Consider mild sedatives - there are some reasonable herbal concoctions about.

The best suggestion I have seen on this thread is to make sure your kid is well and truely exhausted. I'd much rather have a fractious couple of hours on the ground than have them play up on the plane.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough

What about the actual flight. I'm imaginging hell on earth in cattle class!!

Any optimism anywhere?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 11:00 am
EEL
Forum Regular

Why thank you.

Here are some suggestions that might help.

1. Check in as early as you can, get good seats reserved on the plane, then bugger off somewhere else for a few hours. You are not obliged to go to departures straight away just after you have checked in. This will minimise the time you actually spend at the airport.

2. If possible, pre book your seats with the airline. Then, you can check in very late and again, minimise your time at the airport.

3. What terminal are you flying from? Facilities vary greatly. It may be worthwhile paying for lounge access if you dont have it already.

4. Dont quote me, but I think Heathrow has closed its viewing gallaries - prefering people to use their visitor centre instead.

5. Watching planes take off loses its appeal after 5 minutes for most 2.5 year olds unless they have Asperger's Syndrome.

6. Consider mild sedatives - there are some reasonable herbal concoctions about.

The best suggestion I have seen on this thread is to make sure your kid is well and truely exhausted. I'd much rather have a fractious couple of hours on the ground than have them play up on the plane.

Thank you. I was right you are full of useful information. This is the type of answer I was after - I am much obliged to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.