Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping nasties at bay

Keeping nasties at bay

Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Keeping nasties at bay

After reading the "ouch" thread. I would like to know from people already in Oz, how do you keep the nasty bugs, spiders and insects out of your house?

Here in New Zealand we used "bug bombs" which really do work well. We didnt even have a fly in the house for months. I am wondering if they work as well on the ozzie bugs too.

Also, does anyone have any other good ideas for dissuading them from coming into your home??
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Keeping nasties at bay

Originally posted by podgypossum
After reading the "ouch" thread. I would like to know from people already in Oz, how do you keep the nasty bugs, spiders and insects out of your house?

Here in New Zealand we used "bug bombs" which really do work well. We didnt even have a fly in the house for months. I am wondering if they work as well on the ozzie bugs too.

Also, does anyone have any other good ideas for dissuading them from coming into your home??
Surface spray works really well, you spray it around any potential entry point, under eaves, door/window frames etc.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Keeping nasties at bay

Originally posted by PeteY
Surface spray works really well, you spray it around any potential entry point, under eaves, door/window frames etc.
Thanks Pete..doesnt seem to be too many others who know of anything..i'm getting worried..LOL
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My Bloke in Brissie uses that surface spray stuff - Pete's right, does seem to work well. Also, many doors and windows have really fine mesh fly-screens, weird at first, but you do learn the value of them when you want the doors or windows open in the evenings. The ones I've seen are really tight fitting to the floor as well, which stops most things crawling underneath.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 8th 2003 at 10:42 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Pollyana
My Bloke in Brissie uses that surface spray stuff - Pete's right, does seem to work well. Also, many doors and windows have really fine mesh fly-screens, weird at first, but you do learn the value of them when you want the doors or windows open in the evenings. The ones I've seen are relaly tight fitting to the floor as well, which stops most things crawling underneath.

Thanx for that advice Polly..

Maybe the bug bomb things we use here dont work for the nasties over there.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know I get a certain perverse pleasure in seeing a cockroach squirm as it treads on that spray stuff........
Old Oct 8th 2003, 10:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The bug bombs work but to be effective and safe you have to empty your cupboards of food and crockery etc because the stuff is not that healthy.

Before moving in anywhere we surface spray and bomb the hell out of the place. Anything escaping the bomb then dies on the surface spray.

You will be shocked at the results. The floor looks like the aftermath of an insect war.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Polly has it right ..... fly screens on all the windows & doors! Anything else that gets in you either bomb (particularly flea & cockie infestations) or use surface spray. If you have a serious problem with cockies you are probably better off to get the Flick man to come & spray the house, they do a much better job & it works out not much difference in price by the time you pay for all the bombs!

Word of warning for anyone with fish, covering the tank when you spray etc is fine, but be warned, if any insects get in the tank afterwards you'll lose fish. I lost a great Gold Severum that way .