Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a bank account in the UK

Keeping a bank account in the UK

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Keeping a bank account in the UK

Has anyone out there kept a bank account (First Direct specifically) open and maintained the account even though they are living in Aus? I will still be receiving some small income from the UK and will have some small DD's to still pay.

Any advice on this area would be appreciated

Nigel
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a bank account in the UK

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Has anyone out there kept a bank account (First Direct specifically) open and maintained the account even though they are living in Aus? I will still be receiving some small income from the UK and will have some small DD's to still pay.

Nigel
Don't know about first direct, but I assume if its internet banking you wouldn't have a problem. We have a halifax account and manage it online without any probs.
Ruth
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:26 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Nigel
We're keeping an account open for the same reasons, shouldn't be too difficult if it's available to manage online as Pootle mentioned. We also gave them our Australia address to send monthly statements to which they were happy with.
Cheers Sharon
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:51 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Nigel

HY Nigel

If it helps, our accountant told us to keep a UK bank account open as it helps in preserving your credit rating in the UK in case you decide to come back. ( I don't know whether there's any truth in this as I never bothered to chase this notion up) maybe someone could enlighten us both ??

BRICKY ADE
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've kept an account going - handy if you are back on holiday, and for ordering stuff using cheques, or for sending money as presents. Equally handy if people want to give you money, esp if you have kids.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Nigel

Nigel,

I would advise you to keep at least one account open as it is good for credit rating in the U.K.

I have kept several accounts open in the U.K for over 2 years since I have been in Oz but they do not like it if it goes on for a while because they start asking questions as to where you reside, so just give a relatives adress or get your mail re-directed so the banks don't know. Too easy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:12 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Nigel
We've kept our First Direct account open. They give you an access code to quote when you phone them in place of your postcode etc. They have an international banking department so you'll be able to keep it open indefinitely.

Jane
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:29 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We have kept 2 accounts open in the Uk for all the reasons stated. Nationwide for the Credit Card (which is still the best to use if buying stuff abroad) and we still use it for buying stuff like Rohan and North Face in the UK for people to bring over with them and a Smile account for ease of paying money in in the UK - Grandparents putting in Xmas/Birthday money for our son etc. Not intending to go back for good, but also handy to keep a credit rating going back there just in case.

Both are very easy to manage online
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
N
I have kept several accounts open in the U.K for over 2 years since I have been in Oz but they do not like it if it goes on for a while because they start asking questions as to where you reside,

Most UK banks don't care if you live overseas. It's a lot harder to *open* an account from overseas compared to *keeping* an account.

The thing to be aware of is that if your account goes inactive the bank can make it "dormant" and then getting access to your own money can be a nightmare. So keep a few standing orders active.

Jeremy
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:03 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, our First Direct account is still open. They have my Melbourne address and I have always found them wonderful to deal with.

I opened a HSBC Oz account (in the UK through FD) and it gives you a good deal on transferring money from UK to Oz as they are both owned by HSBC.

It's also reasonable to withdraw from over here with a cash card if you are ever that desperate!

Can't recommend keeping your account enough

louise
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most UK banks don't care if you live overseas. It's a lot harder to *open* an account from overseas compared to *keeping* an account.

The thing to be aware of is that if your account goes inactive the bank can make it "dormant" and then getting access to your own money can be a nightmare. So keep a few standing orders active.

Jeremy
It does depend on the balance that is in the account with regards to its dormancy, inline with ingoing and outgoing transactions of course.

In some cases the accounts can be shut down against the owners wishes without their notification.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Just for information, keeping a UK bank account has absolutely no bearing on maintaining a good credit rating back home. As soon as you disappear off the electoral register you won't get credit for love nor money until you appear on it again.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays and Nationwide are both happy with our Oz address, and send statements here.

For various reasons we kept our Cahoot accounts going, though Cahoot won't allow you to have an ex-UK address. It all came to a head last summer (UK) when, on a visit, an ATM swallowed our card and, without an address or a fixed phone it was impossible to get access again to the cash since every time we talked to Cahoot they wouldn't accept who we were!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Just for information, keeping a UK bank account has absolutely no bearing on maintaining a good credit rating back home. As soon as you disappear off the electoral register you won't get credit for love nor money until you appear on it again.
Good point Northern bird. However, different creditors hold different bearing on the electoral roll. The majority do use it as a means of credit checking, but some companies look at the history of your credit on balance with how much credit you have. Therefore, it isnt an impossible task.

Also, if anyone hasnt noticed that that on their credit file not all banks put current accounts on them. It is something that is being considered later this year for all banks to do. Up to now it is loans, visas (actual credit really) is the only thing noted. But overdrafts are rarely put on by some banks. Therefore, not giving a true reflection of a persons floatation.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I found it impossible. I moved back to UK after living overseas for 3 years. I left all my affairs in good standing even using my credit card and paying off balance whilst abroad. On returning I couldn't get credit for a 15 quid a month mobile phone contract let alone anything else. Was told by Experian and Equifax that it was highly unlikely I would get any new credit until I was on the electoral roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.