Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a bank account open here

Keeping a bank account open here

Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:30 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Keeping a bank account open here

How do you go about this if you have no address here as it were...? Please..

Taa...
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping a bank account open here

Originally Posted by peppi

Taa...

Hi

I`ll be leaving my sisters address she can also keep an eye on things if needed.

sue
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:39 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi

I`ll be leaving my sisters address she can also keep an eye on things if needed.

sue
thanks for that sue...I had thought of that but i dont really have an address to leave it with...or that i want to leave it with...

Any other suggestions on how to get round it...?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:50 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Taa...
I will give my parents address. Lloyds TSB internet banking allows you to suppress paper statements so anything else they get sent will be junk until my next debit card renewal by which time I will either have closed the account or won't be using my debit card on it.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:52 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Taa...
Have you tryed asking your bank?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:10 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Taa...

Our Relocation Agents actually recommend us keeping an English bank account with online facilities. Talk to the bank. I am sure it won't be a problem with an Aus address - may not give you overdraft facilities though!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:14 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Taa...
Hi

I actually work for Lloyds TSB and we have loads of customers with overseas addresses, many of them being in Australia - doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Just give your bank a call and have a chat.

HTH
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:23 pm
Merlot

I did have an Australian address with my Abbey account. All the mailings were sent via an overseas department at Abbey to me, rather than the usual branch but it was fine.

However, they did at one point take umbrage to me having free banking for 7 years whilst living in Oz and tried to get me to open an "Offshore" account which cost £££.

M

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:19 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

We've kept 3 accounts open in the UK with HSBC, including our credit card.
Just register for online banking, cancel your paper statements, change your address on the web site and then continue to use the accounts.
I reckon it's worth leaving a few quid in a UK account, as you know you'll go back to visit, and it'll save you the hassle of exchanging your dollars.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:35 pm
Moomin member

thanks for your advise everyone..gives me a bit to go on...I'll just go ask the bank what to do...didnt know wether they may say sod off you cheeky moo though being as I wont much be using the account anymore...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:17 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
We've kept 3 accounts open in the UK with HSBC, including our credit card.
Just register for online banking, cancel your paper statements, change your address on the web site and then continue to use the accounts.
I reckon it's worth leaving a few quid in a UK account, as you know you'll go back to visit, and it'll save you the hassle of exchanging your dollars.
I was told by HSBC that everything would be fine to keep while overseas too, BUT they did say it's worth moving at least a few pounds in or out of it every month or so or they will close it and issue a cheque for any remaining funds in it.

A mate still had a UK account while in Australia and they ended up asking him to make payments to it or close it, but he also hadn't even told them that he was overseas though and just got the address changed to his mothers...!

I wouldn't suggest having an account in overdraft as if you tell them you're going overseas I reckon the bank would tell you to clear the debt first.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

SnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant futureSnapOff has a brilliant future

May have to be careful when filing your annual tax return in Oz, you should really declare your overseas assets as well. The UK and Oz do have tax links. Personally we are keeping our joint account open here with First Direct, but changing the address to my parents and managing it online from Oz.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

If you die overseas, the issue of probate on your UK assets arises. If your UK bank account is less than £5K, I believe the funds will be released without too much formality to your executor. However, over this amount a full probate process may be required, which is time-consuming and expensive.