Karratha/Perth

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all
Default Karratha/Perth

Hiya,

Im new on here but after having a quick look it seems like I will get honest opinions!

My OH has been offered a job with the Oz branch of the company he works for. He works for an oil company offshore. Originally we thought it would be based in Perth but they have since told us that he would need to stay and work in Karratha.

Our dilemma is should we go? Or hang off and apply for jobs in Perth.The money is a lot better in Karratha but Ive been researching it and it looks expensive for rentals etc. We have never been to Karratha but did love Perth when we were there. Have been getting such mixed reviews I don't know what to do!!

Any help VERY much appreciated
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:25 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karratha/Perth

Can he not get FIFO to Karatha from Perth. Most do it
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

Sorry? FIFO?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Fly in Fly out
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

ahh i see!! yeah he could but his company are not willing to pay for this so im not sure how expensive this would be?

also they have said that even if he came back from a 3 week trip (here he would get a least a week off) he may still have to work in the base for the time in between.

This means if we lived in Perth we might not see each other for months at a time?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What visa will he have? Permanent or temporary?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

already has his permanent residency visa. Plan is for me to go out on WHV for the first year then get a spousal visa after that.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:33 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Most companies that want workers in Karratha either arrange & pay for FIFO, or pay the rental costs on family home. Paying the rent up there by yourself would cost a fortune ($1000+ per week)

If they're not willing to pay for FIFO or rental costs, then personally I'd hang on for something in Perth.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elmo2552
We have never been to Karratha but did love Perth when we were there.
The two places are completely different, so the fact that you loved Perth really has no bearing on whether or not you'll like Karratha.

Have you done any research into Karratha at all? I did a few years ago when we were about to move to Australia and it was most definitely a place I crossed off my list. My husband is in mining so it would have been an option had we wanted it (which we didn't).
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I live rural and Karatha is not for everyone. Its super hot and I know several people who left after a couple of months.

Rents are also super high, lots of people live in Geraldton and fly in fly out.

Gems
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elmo2552
Hiya,

Im new on here but after having a quick look it seems like I will get honest opinions!

My OH has been offered a job with the Oz branch of the company he works for. He works for an oil company offshore. Originally we thought it would be based in Perth but they have since told us that he would need to stay and work in Karratha.

Our dilemma is should we go? Or hang off and apply for jobs in Perth.The money is a lot better in Karratha but Ive been researching it and it looks expensive for rentals etc. We have never been to Karratha but did love Perth when we were there. Have been getting such mixed reviews I don't know what to do!!

Any help VERY much appreciated
Hi Elmo, we live in Karratha, my OH has been there for 20 years. (we also have a home in Tasmania). If you require any information if you pm me I would be delighted to add you to messenger and give you any information you require. I also have come over from Scotland (the borders), a total contrast (thats why I love Tasmania similar to Scotland). Its a small town approx 17,000, numerous schools, hospital, it is cyclonic but safe with cycolonic buildings, red earth, salt, and aqua seas. The salaries are high in Karratha and the cost of living is about the same as elsewhere food wise etc. apart from accomodation which remains very expensive and houses commence at around $600,000, rent approx $1,400 a week dependant on the quality of the house. Perth is 2 hrs flying time away. I enjoy the contrast and its a good community spirit although FIFO is ruining the town a bit (taking away the community spirit lol). My husband has educated 2 sons in Karratha a Dr and a chemical engineer. Companies like Rio and Woodside are generous with accomodation allowances and also flights within Oz. Electric and water bills are generally paid very useful because it is an extremely hot place and air con is a must.PM me if you require any further details only happy to help ss x

Last edited by siamsusie; Oct 5th 2009 at 7:57 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Can he not get FIFO to Karatha from Perth. Most do it
a volume of people do it, but we have a large family community hence the volume of schools in Karratha ss x
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks for everyones help and advice

,siam suzie I'll give u a PM.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Hi Elmo, we live in Karratha, my OH has been there for 20 years. (we also have a home in Tasmania). If you require any information if you pm me I would be delighted to add you to messenger and give you any information you require. I also have come over from Scotland (the borders), a total contrast (thats why I love Tasmania similar to Scotland). Its a small town approx 17,000, numerous schools, hospital, it is cyclonic but safe with cycolonic buildings, red earth, salt, and aqua seas. The salaries are high in Karratha and the cost of living is about the same as elsewhere food wise etc. apart from accomodation which remains very expensive and houses commence at around $600,000, rent approx $1,400 a week dependant on the quality of the house. Perth is 2 hrs flying time away. I enjoy the contrast and its a good community spirit although FIFO is ruining the town a bit (taking away the community spirit lol). My husband has educated 2 sons in Karratha a Dr and a chemical engineer. Companies like Rio and Woodside are generous with accomodation allowances and also flights within Oz. Electric and water bills are generally paid very useful because it is an extremely hot place and air con is a must.PM me if you require any further details only happy to help ss x

Hi,

Why is renting and housing so expensive there, may I ask?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

I have no idea!

I guess because if u work for one of the companies up there then they will pay a generous allowance towards accomodation so people can pretty much charge what they want for rent, safe in the knowledge that someone will pay it!

Unfortunately my OH's company dont look like they will pay any allowance so that will prob be us priced out of Karratha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.