Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kangaroos in Perth!!!

Kangaroos in Perth!!!

Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:31 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kangaroos in Perth!!!

Here's one to lighten the load....

My eldest keeps asking me about kangaroos in Perth/WA. When we 've travelled to Australia before we've seen them in most places but we've yet to go to Perth.
Can someone please tell me if there are kangaroos in the Perth region and how far I'd have to take my daughter out of the city to see one?!

Do they inhabit desert areas as well as grass areas?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:39 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Kangaroos in Perth!!!

You`d have to go pretty far out to find any. I only ever saw wild Kangaroos once in W.A., and that was when we were driving to Albany, and were an hour or so away..... the `roos were specks in the distance. Could`ve been Ostriches for all I know

Up in the North-West there are plenty.... but they`re all flat on the road.

There is a `reptile park` down Albany Highway, past Armadale and on the right hand side... they have Kangaroos there iirc. And a HUGE Python.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a big memorial garden/cemetry which is about a 10 minute drive from Hillarys which if I remember is called Pinaroo Memorial Park (no joke). We saw tons of kangaroos there just minding their own business and it wasn't too far to go.

Happy hunting....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Depends where you are of course. But I was in Joondalup and went to a park which I think was something like Hawking Park and the place was teaming with them hopping all over the car park. We even managed to stroke a few as they seemed friendly, but not sure if they are normally this friendly.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

jammyju is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Kangaroos in Perth!!!

Hi you won't have to go far Herrison island, just outside perth opposite the Buswood hotel, has a colony of Kangaroos. These are best seen at dusk.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:59 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammyju
Hi you won't have to go far Herrison island, just outside perth opposite the Buswood hotel, has a colony of Kangaroos. These are best seen at dusk.

The only time I've come really close to them (apart from the zoo) is on the golf course at Anglesea in Victoria
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:24 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by fraser
The only time I've come really close to them (apart from the zoo) is on the golf course at Anglesea in Victoria
l got into a fight with one of those Kangaroos at Anglesea golf course once.
l was walking through the golf course as a short cut to the road and this large male Kangaroo started kicking me in the stomach and upper leg area, l had to punch it in the face for self defence then it hopped away. It must have been the mating season when they become aggressive. :scared:

Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:29 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l got into a fight with one of those Kangaroos at Anglesea golf course once.
l was walking through the golf course as a short cut to the road and this large male Kangaroo started kicking me in the stomach and upper leg area, l had to punch it in the face for self defence then it hopped away. It must have been the mating season when they become aggressive. :scared:

Maybe it took a fancy to you
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:30 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK
Here's one to lighten the load....

My eldest keeps asking me about kangaroos in Perth/WA. When we 've travelled to Australia before we've seen them in most places but we've yet to go to Perth.
Can someone please tell me if there are kangaroos in the Perth region and how far I'd have to take my daughter out of the city to see one?!

Do they inhabit desert areas as well as grass areas?
There are LOADS of Kangeroos in WA and Perth ?? Who said you'd have to go far out??

If you go to Lake Joondalup around dusk they all come out and graze around you.

Travel down the Gnangara road to Ellenbrook (whilst looking right on the Telstra land and you'll see loads) and there are tonnes of them in the Pine forests and pretty large ones too.

Go to The Vines (bout 5 min drive from Swan Valley and Ellenbrook) and you can see them all stretched out and lazing in the sun on the golf course anytime of day.

You dont have to go far at all they are everywhere in Perth. Unless you have your eyes shut of course
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:32 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies - the fight on the golf course was classic!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:01 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Neil Hawkin Park in Joondalup after 5pm. Roo's everywhere and parrots galore.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Neil Hawkin Park in Joondalup after 5pm. Roo's everywhere and parrots galore.
My kids feed them down there, they eat straight out of their hands. Loads of Roos round here.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:14 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
There's a big memorial garden/cemetry which is about a 10 minute drive from Hillarys which if I remember is called Pinaroo Memorial Park (no joke). We saw tons of kangaroos there just minding their own business and it wasn't too far to go.

Happy hunting....
If you go at dusk, there are well over a hundred roos here, pretty tame too. The cemetary itself has to be seen to be believed, if you see the word cemetary and think you dont want to go, forget it, it's nothing like an english graveyard, it really is beautiful.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:18 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by fraser
Maybe it took a fancy to you
If you ever get kicked in the guts by a mad, randy, massive 6 foot tall Kangaroo, you won't think its funny. During the mating season the males become aggressive and don't like people on their territory.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 16th 2005 at 12:36 am.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Stormz
You`d have to go pretty far out to find any.
Never!

Duffy Terrace/Whitfords Av in Woodvale, every morning and evening in the regional park there. A mere 20 minute train journey from the CBD...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.