Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kalgoorlie (anyone been?)

Kalgoorlie (anyone been?)

Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kalgoorlie (anyone been?)

Have done a quick search but not found exactly what I'm looking for. Have some family coming out in February who are really keen to see 'the real Australia', so are planning on heading out to Kalgoorlie.

I thought they would have preferred Margaret River and South West, but they seem keen for some reason. Fair enough.

Any tips? How long will it take them to drive it? What will the weather be like? (Presumably several degrees hotter than Perth in Feb?)

Where is the nearest example of the 'real Australia'?!!!! (Don't tell me Hoonsville in the Northern Suburbs )

Accommodation etc?

Cheers all.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:01 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kalgoorlie (anyone been?)

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Have done a quick search but not found exactly what I'm looking for. Have some family coming out in February who are really keen to see 'the real Australia', so are planning on heading out to Kalgoorlie.

I thought they would have preferred Margaret River and South West, but they seem keen for some reason. Fair enough.

Any tips? How long will it take them to drive it? What will the weather be like? (Presumably several degrees hotter than Perth in Feb?)

Where is the nearest example of the 'real Australia'?!!!! (Don't tell me Hoonsville in the Northern Suburbs )

Accommodation etc?

Cheers all.
Try looking at www.kalgoorlie.com.au
loads of info on there - you go panning for gold & all sorts of stuff (there`s also a couple of "houses of ill repute"
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Try looking at www.kalgoorlie.com.au
loads of info on there - you go panning for gold & all sorts of stuff (there`s also a couple of "houses of ill repute"
Link doesn't work. It's www.kalgoorlie.com/
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely thanks very much X
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:22 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Old thread about Kalgoorlie.
It's mainly about living/working there ( :scared: ), but I added some touristy stuff in there, I went on year 7 camp there in 1994

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293701

It's a bit of a far drive though, and not much interesting to see on the way.....
I also want to go with my in laws, to show them the 'real' Australia, and still have lots of touristy stuff to do(for a midweek or weekend), and am thinking of maybe flying there.... would want a good deal though, I don't like spending money....!!
And also, in laws are coming in December/January, so it'll be the hottest time So might be better when they come another year in another month....

Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with Simone, it will be extremely hot, possibly well in to the 40's. It's a long drive too, would take a whole day.

I used to work there and unless things have changed a lot it's a pretty rough place so unless your idea of "touristy" things to do is visiting brothels, seeing aborigines drinking/falling over in the street and bar room brawls then I'd give it a miss.

I guess it could accurately be described as "the real Australia" though.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I concur with Simone, it will be extremely hot, possibly well in to the 40's. It's a long drive too, would take a whole day.

I used to work there and unless things have changed a lot it's a pretty rough place so unless your idea of "touristy" things to do is visiting brothels, seeing aborigines drinking/falling over in the street and bar room brawls then I'd give it a miss.

I guess it could accurately be described as "the real Australia" though.

You can do:
goldpanning
Going down into Hannan's Tourist Mine
Camel riding
Two up
Viewing the Super Pit
Museums(also Coolgardie)
Emu Farm
Visit Ghost town Kanowna
etc

We didn't visit a brothel on year 7 camp BUT, a colleague of mine(female!), recently went to Kalgoorlie, and they did a tour of this really luxury big brothel. She said it was really interesting!
It was a pricey tour though, I think she said about $40!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We drove halfway between Perth and Kalgoorlie - a place called Bruce Rock, where - for some obscure reason- my sister was born.
it was the dullest 6 hour drive I have ever done in my life...and not even worth the effort once we reached there. (Sorry all you Bruce Rock dwellers, if you exist).

Unfortunately WA is not a great place for enjoying the 'on the road' experience in itself, as it is pretty flat.
A much better drive to see the real Australia is around somewhere like Alice. Fantastic and even worth the 2.5 days to get back to Melbourne!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Unfortunately WA is not a great place for enjoying the 'on the road' experience in itself, as it is pretty flat.
That's BS, there's great open road experiences to be had here, you've got everything from the forests of the south west, the Stirling ranges, great outback like Mount Augustus, Wolf Creek, the Pilbara in the spring, the Kimberley.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's BS, there's great open road experiences to be had here, you've got everything from the forests of the south west, the Stirling ranges, great outback like Mount Augustus, Wolf Creek, the Pilbara in the spring, the Kimberley.
but none of these are on the way to Kalgoorlie, unless you take the long way round....