Wikiposts

Kalgoorlie

Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:47 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kalgoorlie

Originally Posted by gwendloyn
Hi gobbyjock

just spent 18 months living and working in Kal. Great place - good schools and good housing (at a price though ! ) met and made great friends there too.. its what you make it really.

Are you going to live there ?

Cheers ....
Ah god I`m not writing anything off at the mo!!Depends on what hubby decides to do - either try & join RAN (he is currently RN) or go over as general electrician (his uncle has said he would make sure he wasn`t out of work until his A Grade License comes through)He was talking to some guys in the RAN whilst he has been in the Gulf and they`ve said that the mining companys tend to try and snap up the guys with his type of experience. Now I know that working in the mines won`t be any sort of doddle but it`s a case of what`s better - fly in fly out and live in/near Perth where I would at least have relatives nearby (we both have family in Perth) or live in Kalgoorlie with the difficulties that might entail but at least see him everyday.Obviously people do live there as families so I ask myself do I have what it takes???
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:50 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
If you live in leigh park soton you will notice no change
Oh and ta for the karma
I actually live in one of the roughest parts of Gosport so it may be quieter in Kal
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I actually live in one of the roughest parts of Gosport so it may be quieter in Kal
Oooh. I grew up in Rowner in Gosport (I think Coogee has the edge on it) and going back for my first visit in 9 years in June. Will I find it's changed much?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:12 am
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by nickyc
Oooh. I grew up in Rowner in Gosport (I think Coogee has the edge on it) and going back for my first visit in 9 years in June. Will I find it's changed much?
LOL and just how did you know I was talking about Rowner I`ve been here 7 years and it`s hardly changed in that time, Fareham on the other hand has seen a fair bit of new building going on, as for Portsmouth they still keep putting bubbles in the fountain
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:01 am
aussie73

Whats a humpy???
A humpy is the houses Aboriginies used to build out of sticks, tree branches and leaves. They are very rough, just keep out the wind and rain and about the same size as a large tent. It could also refer to a roughly built bush shack or a run down dwelling.

Last edited by aussie73; Apr 2nd 2005 at 1:05 am.

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:07 am
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by aussie73
A humpy is the houses Aboriginies used to build out of sticks, tree branches and leaves. They are very rough, just keep out the wind and rain and about the same size as a large tent. It could also refer to a roughly built bush shack or a run down dwelling.
Aaah thanks for that, it did have scratchin my head, as I`d never heard the term before
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a humpy???
Eh, well, I always thought it was an aboriginal thing, those little half domes of braches and leaves.

But I can sort of remember this(eh, it is 11 years ago!) being more of shack.

It's to live in, anyways!

Oh, just saw Aussie73's reply. Yes, in this case a roughly built old bush shack.

Gobbyock: mm, hard decision. I have a friend who flys in flys out(2 weeks up, 1 week down). Is not liking it, misses things in weekends etc. And doesn't even have kids.
Living in Kalgoorlie... it depends what you're used to activity wise(visiting bigger cities, nice shopping, visiting relatives. If that's what you're used to, your're going to find Kalgoorlie isolated and probably boring after a while.
Also, you'd have to be sure that your husband worked in a mine in(or very near) Kalgoorlie. A lot of the mines are still 100's or maybe 1000's of k's out of Kalgoorlie.

Good luck
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:53 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
Eh, well, I always thought it was an aboriginal thing, those little half domes of braches and leaves.

But I can sort of remember this(eh, it is 11 years ago!) being more of shack.

It's to live in, anyways!

Oh, just saw Aussie73's reply. Yes, in this case a roughly built old bush shack.

Gobbyock: mm, hard decision. I have a friend who flys in flys out(2 weeks up, 1 week down). Is not liking it, misses things in weekends etc. And doesn't even have kids.
Living in Kalgoorlie... it depends what you're used to activity wise(visiting bigger cities, nice shopping, visiting relatives. If that's what you're used to, your're going to find Kalgoorlie isolated and probably boring after a while.
Also, you'd have to be sure that your husband worked in a mine in(or very near) Kalgoorlie. A lot of the mines are still 100's or maybe 1000's of k's out of Kalgoorlie.

Good luck
Distance makes the re-unions grow ardent.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:20 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Distance makes the re-unions grow ardent.
Indeed. But not everyone will feel that way once in the situation...
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:14 pm
Im a woomaaan

Actually I`ve had 13 years of ardent reunions- which are great (due for another one in a week) but it`s the emotional goodbyes that are a pain I don`t think I would mind a couple of weeks of a time though (possibly).