Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just wondering how you did it!!

Just wondering how you did it!!

Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:21 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Just wondering how you did it!!

Just wondering with people applying and getting their visas.

As I understand it you have to activate your visa within 12 months of either police checks or medicals date (correct me if I am wrong!!) how many of you wait for the visa to be granted then try to sell the house and get out to Oz within that 12 month timescale??

Or is that pushing it, in that I would assume once you have you visa granted you have probably lost 4-8 weeks so you literally have 10 months to sell up and be ready to go!!

Also have many of you gone down this route and it has gone pear shaped??

And if it has gone pear shaped what did you do!!

Sorry to ask so many questions just Husband and I starting to worry about this and thought we would gain useful information from those already done or doing it!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:39 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just wondering how you did it!!

Originally Posted by toon williams
Just wondering with people applying and getting their visas.

As I understand it you have to activate your visa within 12 months of either police checks or medicals date (correct me if I am wrong!!) how many of you wait for the visa to be granted then try to sell the house and get out to Oz within that 12 month timescale??

Or is that pushing it, in that I would assume once you have you visa granted you have probably lost 4-8 weeks so you literally have 10 months to sell up and be ready to go!!

Also have many of you gone down this route and it has gone pear shaped??

And if it has gone pear shaped what did you do!!

Sorry to ask so many questions just Husband and I starting to worry about this and thought we would gain useful information from those already done or doing it!!
Hello!
We're being cautious ... and aren't putting the house on the market, just in case we don't the visa... I'm pretty sure we will.. got meds in just over a weeks time - eeeek! There would be nothing worse than selling our house then finding we couldn't go to Oz! We're hoping that coz we won't have a forward chain, and we're in first time buyer land that we'll sell the house quite quickly!

Hope that helps!
Good luck with yours
Sonic x
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:45 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We sold the house in October '04, then APPLIED for the visa in January '05

We were going somewhere with the proceeds of the house, whether it was here or somewhere else.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:56 am
Just Joined

BlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the rough

Hi

we got our visa granted in July 05 and had to get it validated by Jan 06. We had previously decided that this would be too much of a rush, so just went on holiday in Oct 05 as a rekkie mission and to get the visa validated.

The only problem doing this is the cost i.e. you have to pay 2 air fares, 1 to validate and 1 to actually emigrate.

On balance we felt the stress levels would be better to go out twice and not have to rush to get everything done in such a tight deadline.

I still dont understand why they insist on making you validate it in Oz within a year ! Why you cant go to your local embassy or, in our case, we have a 5 yr visa, so if we dont go and live there within that time frame it;s tough titty on us, again doesn't make sense to have the whole family go out and validate a visa in a year. It isn't actually a year either because as you can see for us, the time they validate it, it only gave us 6 months!

Hope this helps

Blue Toffee
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:10 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

We were MODL (136) and using an agent and therefore pretty confident that the visa would be granted so we put the house on the market the same time as we did our medicals (Nov 2004).

Visas were granted mid Jan 2005 but we had to wait until mid May for a buyer to come along. That was a long 4 months! We had to enter Australia by 10th Oct 2005 so we were fortunate that our buyer came along when he did otherwise we would have had to fund an expensive validation trip. For a family of five that would probably have meant us living on grubs for a year!

Binbird
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We have planned ours with military precision to take into account our daughters GCSEs.

We had our medical requests given to us early last year and had a date of 9 August to get them back to Sydney. So we held off until July to give us a clear 12 months to enable our daughter to finish her GCSEs this June.

We then put our house on the market sold up, which we needed to do to invest $100,000 in a designated investment scheme for the extra 5 points.

We took a 6 month rental which coincidentally expires July also.

All this is done now and the visa should be with us by next month, with a validation date of some time early/mid July this year.

That is basically how we done it, and yes 12 months is the validation time given, unless you have problems with your medical and then you may only get granted 6 months.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

We applied for visa in August and put house up for sale in September. We were told by our agent that we would get the visa, 99.999999% sure. We accepted offer in December and got visa yesterday, we have to go by 14th November, 12 months after medicals.
If you are lucky enough to sell straight away you just have to tell them that contracts can't be exchanged until you have your visa.

Good luck

Joanne
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a point of information I found out yesterday that if you are on a SIR or provisional visa that once the visa is granted your 3 years or your provisional timescale to qualify for PR starts ticking. So the longer you take to get out there the less time you have to make sure you qualify for PR. Found this out on one of the DIMIA sites but not sure which one.

Tracey
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

we put our house on the market last July after TRA had gone in. we honestly thought we would sell up and then move into rented whilst waiting for visa - WRONG still on the market.

for some people it goes like clockwork but thats not always the case
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:09 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Just wondering how you did it!!

Thank you all for your comments, it really is a lucky mans game, as my good old Nan would say, no right or wrong answer!!

Guess it all comes down to the dreaded "buyer" having sold three houses now and each time had major problems along the way and found it extreamly stressful we I think are going to be playing it safe and going to go on holiday to just give us that additional bit of time, both thinking it will be stressfull enough without the additional timescale thrown into the pot!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:43 pm
An Official Visa Holder

B U M P
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by teejay66
Just as a point of information I found out yesterday that if you are on a SIR or provisional visa that once the visa is granted your 3 years or your provisional timescale to qualify for PR starts ticking. So the longer you take to get out there the less time you have to make sure you qualify for PR. Found this out on one of the DIMIA sites but not sure which one.

Tracey
Not True,
You have 12 months from the date of medical/police check to arrive and then the 3 years starts ticking from your first entry into Australia. Thats what it says on our Visa

Liz
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

Hi

We had our visas granted Jan05, just as we had started an extension on our house, had to be in Oz Oct05. Finished extension in June and put it on the market July!! Market was dead, no offers at all so we reluctantly decided to rent the house out.
So glad we did, things haven't worked out over here, really pleased I have a house to go back to.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:51 am
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by Jim n Nic
Hi

We had our visas granted Jan05, just as we had started an extension on our house, had to be in Oz Oct05. Finished extension in June and put it on the market July!! Market was dead, no offers at all so we reluctantly decided to rent the house out.
So glad we did, things haven't worked out over here, really pleased I have a house to go back to.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

We had thought about renting our house out over here for the first year just incase things didnt work out and like you had somewhere to come back to!!

Someone said if we did that then when you come to sell Uk property you get clobbbbbbbered with Tax, not sure about that will need to find out about it!!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teejay66

Tracey
We got our SIR visa on Tuesday. The date when to visa expires is actually 4 years from the date of medicals. So you do have a bit more time to go. First entry is 1 year from medicals.
Hope this helps.

Joanne