Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just when I thought my kids wanted to go!!!!!!!

Just when I thought my kids wanted to go!!!!!!!

Old Jun 13th 2003, 5:47 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just when I thought my kids wanted to go!!!!!!!

Having said last week that my 15 yr old daughter was ok about going to Perth, she has now just informed me that she does not want to go, does not want to talk about it and is probably not going to be happy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so I have just chucked all my good advice out of the window and will have to start again, right here goes H E L P If anyone has a daughter of a similar age that is going through this, or has just recently gone down this road we would like to hear from you, thanks.

Suz
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

there is no golden grail as far as this situation goes ..each parent/child reacts differently and therefore you -as a parent- will act in the best interests at all times

i'm sure kids change their minds like their clothes..you are doing what you consider best for your family and that includes her..

as time goes by she will either love australia or hate it..you cannot predict it either way..

however all you can do is keep the conversation as light as possible stay positive and highlight the benefits

but whatever happens there will be plenty of tears ....

keep positive and keep telling her you love her

cheers

richard
Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:55 pm
suz
Forum Regular

Originally posted by r.bartlett
there is no golden grail as far as this situation goes ..each parent/child reacts differently and therefore you -as a parent- will act in the best interests at all times

i'm sure kids change their minds like their clothes..you are doing what you consider best for your family and that includes her..

as time goes by she will either love australia or hate it..you cannot predict it either way..

however all you can do is keep the conversation as light as possible stay positive and highlight the benefits

but whatever happens there will be plenty of tears ....

keep positive and keep telling her you love her

cheers

richard
hi richard,
Thanks, I'm just having one of those days!!! usually I try to do all of the above and yes we are trying to do what we think is best for the whole family. I think it just hit home today as we have just sold our house and that's a biggy for her to deal with, more where that came from, to come no doubt.
suz
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suz

Just to let you know you are not the only ones our eldest was up for it at first and is now adamant he is going no where. He is 13 and is a clone of Kevin.

We r in Eastbourne,have just been looking at property in lindfield. Anyway hope it all works out !

footie chick
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i like e.bourne

i went out with a girl who owned a house on that new marina

when i went down to visit her she asked me if I'd like to 'come on her boat'

and as a sarf london lad it was an offer i couldn't refuse ;-)

cheers

richard
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah been looking at houses down there today. But for the money there asking well i`d mad to agree!!

fc
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

deddog is an unknown quantity at this point

I have daughters of 14 and 16 neither wish to go to New Zealand although the eldest wishes to settle near Christchurch ("you can see Sperm whales dad") or The Bay of Plenty ("Killer whales") .
Happy or sad we will try to do the best we can for them as we always have.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:49 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just when I thought my kids wanted to go!!!!!!!

Originally posted by suz
Having said last week that my 15 yr old daughter was ok about going to Perth, she has now just informed me that she does not want to go, does not want to talk about it and is probably not going to be happy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so I have just chucked all my good advice out of the window and will have to start again, right here goes H E L P If anyone has a daughter of a similar age that is going through this, or has just recently gone down this road we would like to hear from you, thanks.

Suz
Yes it's the same for us, we have a 15 year old daughter, she has always been quite positive, but now that it has become real she is having second thoughts, like we all are. We know exactly how you feel, but rest assured, we are making this move to Australia to ensure a better future for all our children.

Slater
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point

We have problems with our teenages too! Son who's 18 at college is ok about going to nz one minute, then changes his mind the next - and daughter of 15 who's quite keen but does not want to leave 'gran'. They have both visited nz twice so know something about the country. We just hope that when the time comes to actually go, there will be no problems.... but who knows! Hoping to settle in the Nelson area.

Bryher
Old Jun 14th 2003, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by r.bartlett
i like e.bourne

cheers

richard
Hope you made an honest woman out of her "lol"
Old Jun 14th 2003, 6:37 am
suz
Forum Regular

Originally posted by footie chick
Ah been looking at houses down there today. But for the money there asking well i`d mad to agree!!

fc
According to the Evening Argus yesterday,Eastbourne is the friendliest destination in the UK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Crazy prices down this way, but that suits me fine, we bought this place for £119,00 3 yrs ago, it was a total dump, but loads of potential, just sold for £260,000 not a bad investment.
Going back briefly to the kid thing, I always thought Harry Enfield's Kevin was kinda amusing but now horrified to find out that he had it just right we have the female version!
Suz
Old Jun 14th 2003, 6:46 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Another rude boy, as bad as Badgers Pearl Necklace
Old Jun 14th 2003, 6:58 am
suz
Forum Regular

Default Re: Just when I thought my kids wanted to go!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Slater
Yes it's the same for us, we have a 15 year old daughter, she has always been quite positive, but now that it has become real she is having second thoughts, like we all are. We know exactly how you feel, but rest assured, we are making this move to Australia to ensure a better future for all our children.

Slater
Slater,
It seems crazy to link the house prices to going to Oz, but many of our friends with older kids are in a bit of a situation now, apparantly the cheapest place in Haywards Heath was £130,000,
you have to be on around £40,000 pa and which average person do you know who is under the age of 25 is on that kinda money, not many, unless they want to move to Wales( sorry to all the Welsh out there!) so yes we did add this on the evergrowing list of reasons to leave the UK. I think the only thing at the moment that could persuade her is that if there was a good looking rock band living next door to us she would be wanting to go tomorrow!!! not the best choice of neibours in the wee small hours!!!!!!
Thanks Suz
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:15 am
suz
Forum Regular

Originally posted by paulf

Another rude boy, as bad as Badgers Pearl Necklace
Now, now lads dont go overboard ( we've heard it all before, yawn, yawn or should it have been !)
suz
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:27 am
suz
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Bryher
We have problems with our teenages too! Son who's 18 at college is ok about going to nz one minute, then changes his mind the next - and daughter of 15 who's quite keen but does not want to leave 'gran'. They have both visited nz twice so know something about the country. We just hope that when the time comes to actually go, there will be no problems.... but who knows! Hoping to settle in the Nelson area.

Bryher
Hi,
My first choice had been NZ as all the friends that have decided to settle there are all really happy, there is the thing about no snakes etc..... which pleased our eldest, but it was not to be, they dont seem to be as keen on skilled trades, so thats why we opted for Oz, good luck to you and yours, keep yr fingers crossed for me and mine.
Suz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.