Reload this Page >

Just what is Mr Rudd up to?

Just what is Mr Rudd up to?

Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just what is Mr Rudd up to?

Originally Posted by kporte
how the hell would anybody know that? the earth is millions of years old, humans are not.
all conjecture
I really can't believe you just said that.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I think one of the methods is using long tubes of ice from the poles, they knwo how old (based on depth) that ice is and how much carbon dioxide it contains.

However, you may have meant something like "the earth is billions of years old and man has only been here a million or so years, only about 100 of those years has included industrial activity. The ability to draw statistically relevant correlations based on 100 years of data out of 4 billion is too small to be of any meaningful value."

Originally Posted by kporte
how the hell would anybody know that? the earth is millions of years old, humans are not.
all conjecture
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:08 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
To be fair, I think one of the methods is using long tubes of ice from the poles, they knwo how old (based on depth) that ice is and how much carbon dioxide it contains.

However, you may have meant something like "the earth is billions of years old and man has only been here a million or so years, only about 100 of those years has included industrial activity. The ability to draw statistically relevant correlations based on 100 years of data out of 4 billion is too small to be of any meaningful value."
my point, but much better put
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

None the less that simply states how much carbon was around when rather than whetehr there is sufficent data to draw a correlation with industrial activity. Even a correlation doesn't prove cause and effect.

By way of a trivial example, there may well be a strong correlation between say life expectancy and the number of cars on the road ( I suspect there is). That of course DOES NOT mean that increased life expectancy CAUSES more car ownerhsip.

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I think Carbon Dating with Isotopes is well accepted science rather than conjecture.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:38 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
None the less that simply states how much carbon was around when rather than whetehr there is sufficent data to draw a correlation with industrial activity. Even a correlation doesn't prove cause and effect.

By way of a trivial example, there may well be a strong correlation between say life expectancy and the number of cars on the road ( I suspect there is). That of course DOES NOT mean that increased life expectancy CAUSES more car ownerhsip.
You're right. Let's put our heads in the sand and hope it all works out ok.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
We will agree to differ then <g>.

Australians are either the biggest or second biggest emitters per capita in the world, even excluding the "virtual" emissions that the Chinese do by proxy with our coal.

When you think that, of all the countries in the worls, Australia has by far the largest area of uninhabited, sunbaked land with a small population overall, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to make the country almost zero-polluting given time.

And giving end-users rebates to soften the increased costs of trading is IMO a farce. After all, if the end user - ie., you and I - doesn't bear the increased costs then the whole scheme is useless. The whole *point* of trading is to make the end user cut back on consumption of energy.

It's all a bit academic as far as I'm concerned, anyway. Another 20 years will see me underground and I don't have any children or grandchildren to worry about so I don't have to protect any genes <g>. It just seems a shame that what is quite a nice planet stands a fair chance of being dead in a few hundred years.
When cleaning up a disk to free space do you remove the directory with the most files or the ones with the biggest files? Per capita, smatica. The US and China are the biggest emitters in the world if they don't do anything then Aussie savings will, as said previously, be piddly.

If you want to credit Aus with the Aussie coal burnt in China surely Aus should get the carbon debit for all the Aussie uranium being used in nuclear power plants around the world?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
I don't get it.

For months before the election Mr Rudd was castigating the Coalition for their attitude to climate change.

Now, after a year in office and comfortably back home after the climate conference they announce a piddling reduction in proposed emissions coupled with let-outs for the polluters and subsidies for end-users.

Either he accepts the prognostications of the IPCC or he doesn't. If he *does* then a serious attack on emissions is required to avoid a runaway greenhouse effect. If he doesn't, then what the hell does he think he's doing?

Beats me.....
Do you want to pay $3 a litre for petrol,only have hot water on a sunny day and freeze in winter.Aus has a very small population compared to most countries in the area.Why should we punish ourselves when china polute the sky's far more than Aus.There should be a solar hot water system on every house in Aus but it will take time.When the Green police strike there will be far bigger fuel bills to pay for tree huggers
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:02 am
Karma Comedian

You're right. Let's put our heads in the sand and hope it all works out ok.
No, clearly you are right. Lets spend billions and billions of dollars on increasing the costs of energy. Lets make the poor be particulary affected as a result of not being able to afford to travel as much, paying more for the increased cost of transporting food, not being able to afford to use as much fuel for heating/cooling/cooking. Their increasingly miserable lives and early deaths will not be in vain.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

Well I think ive proven my point - there are arguments on both sides yet all the environmentalists are out in force putting it all accross as fact.

What i find particularly amusing is that the spelling police were straight in on my first post trying to use that to discredit my point, then they go and make mistakes themselves...

ha ha

Anyway I love the climate debate. Its so silly, everyone feels so strongly yet the average person on the street has no concept of greenhouse gas at all.

Water vapour is a far more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2-far far more powerful and makes up 95% of all greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. CO2 is just a fraction of 1% Hmmm yea it must be CO2 thats the problem - yes thats right.

The government would make more impact on global warming if they ban farting
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:19 am
ABCDiamond

Anyone can make sweeping statements.

The whole point of global warming is that the current rate of warming is way above historic global cycles of warming and cooling.
The second sentence is actually not quite correct, but the first is.

Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We will agree to differ then <g>.

And giving end-users rebates to soften the increased costs of trading is IMO a farce. After all, if the end user - ie., you and I - doesn't bear the increased costs then the whole scheme is useless. The whole *point* of trading is to make the end user cut back on consumption of energy.

\.
Investing the proceeds of carbon trading in compensating the general populace makes perfect sense. The increased cost of energy consumption makes people use less energy. Rebates received from the government can be spent on anything, including things that result in little or no energy consumption. The overall result is less CO2 emissions, a general shift away from CO2 generating consumption, increassed incentive to purchase renewable energy and little impact to the overall standard of living. Furthermore, there is no net cost to government so the overall tax burden doesn't go up.

Of course, there will be winners and losers as consumption patterns gradually shift - hence the need to invest some of the proceeds into industry support/transformation.

Sounds like a good approach to me.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

The cutting down of the Amazon forest is contributing to global warming however they wish to move forward and become industrialised just like us so we cannot blame them. We need to go nuclear and plant trees and everyone says not in my back yard.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:09 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone can make sweeping statements.

The whole point of global warming is that the current rate of warming is way above historic global cycles of warming and cooling.
but is it though? all the temperature stations are centred around airports and city centres. is the much talked about 0.4 - 0.6 deg c rise over the last 100 years actually a rise at all or simply because there are large jets flying over the thermometers that were once in an empty field?
and can they accurately gauge what the temperature 1 million years ago from carbon levels in ice and rock?
people will need actual evidence of global warming before anything useful is done
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The point is, if you accept that the planet will become essentially uninhabitable in 50 or 100 years, economics doesn't come into it at all.

If you do not accept the IPCC conclusions then doing nothing is the correct option.

Playing with words - which is his strategy - is illogical as well as being fatuous.
This is too black and white. Doing nothing is not an option neither is bankrupting a country just to prove a point. When running a country you always have to balance what you'd like to do Vs what you must do.

Given world economics is on it's knees and we have still to feel the impact, Krudd was left with a decision of do nothing, or do something.

He took the latter decision
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:45 am
ABCDiamond

A news article has just quoted this:

16/12/2008
After all that, we are more or less back where we started. The Rudd model for tackling climate change now looks remarkably similar to the Howard model from 2007.
By the time the Coalition has forced further changes in the Senate — as it will — the scheme could end up almost identical to John Howard's.
and
(Wouldn't it make sense to invite the Liberals to join in designing the scheme, so it had bipartisan support and investors would know it would last? Yes, but we don't do things that way.)
With the ALP 2009 plan and the Liberal 2007 plan now so alike, they could actually agree on something and get it done !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.