Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just told parents, now feel terrible!

just told parents, now feel terrible!

Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:09 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just told parents, now feel terrible!

Just got home after telling my mum and dad that we are planning to emmigrate to Oz and taking there only grandchild away. have been trying to pluck up the courage for weeks now and actually managed to do it. They were brilliant said we should go for it and lifes too short and we can always come back if it doesnt work out. There were a few tears but i couldnt have asked for a better response. Can someone tell me if its normal to feel really guilty and like a real b*tch. If so can you tell me how long does it last!!

thanks

jules

Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just told parents, now feel terrible!

Originally posted by Julie Martin
Just got home after telling my mum and dad that we are planning to emmigrate to Oz and taking there only grandchild away. have been trying to pluck up the courage for weeks now and actually managed to do it. They were brilliant said we should go for it and lifes too short and we can always come back if it doesnt work out. There were a few tears but i couldnt have asked for a better response. Can someone tell me if its normal to feel really guilty and like a real b*tch. If so can you tell me how long does it last!!

thanks

jules

Don`t feel guilty for wanting a better life for your kids jules , at least your parents are behind you , let it sink in for a few days and i`m sure it will easier all round .
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:21 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell me if its normal to feel really guilty and like a real b*tch. If so can you tell me how long does it last!!
Yes. Its normal, I spent 14 years in the Navy and I still felt like a real b#st#rd. Lasted about a week for me really. Sometimes still feel a bit guilty but if I didnt then wouldnt be much of a son would I?

And everyone is different. Just try to think of all the positives.

Bit like going to the dentist really. You dont like it but you know you gotta do it

Jack

PS Have a few and think happy thoughts

Last edited by Jack Daws; Jan 25th 2004 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:25 pm
jules

Julie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheers

Thanks for the support, i am now about to have 3rd glass of Aussie chardonnay and am feeling better. Kinda was expecting a blazing row or at least a 'do you know what you are doing'. just made me realise how much im going to miss them.

jules
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI..We told the folks 2 weeks ago..TOTAL Shock and felt real bad..

So far

Alisons dad doesn't really mention it!!
My dad has known for a year and is well behind us!!
Alisons mum is now talking about coming out to have hols,xmas etc ...seems to be all for it....

Now My mum..Well..Thats another story.Total guilt trips etc..

I do feel bad about it but i know we can give the kids a better life(and us) out there...As the guys have said don't feel too guilty.....

Good luck!!

Adelaide here we come!!

Cheers

Scott
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

jules

Hi Jules!
My gosh I know how you are feeling!
You were lucky your parents reacted so well - believe me!
My Mum was the only person I really dreaded telling, so when I took the plunge I did it very casually. Everyone else including my husbands parents, my sister and other family have all been so positive and basically said go for it!

My Mum cried for days, just point blank refused to discuss it, any mention of OZ and she started crying! She is a bit better now but still very upset at the prospect of losing her 'faithful daughter' and two grandsons.

This is something we have to do for ourselves no matter how guilty that makes us feel, I've always been there for my family and feel it is about time they will be there to support me! Takes a lot of inner courage to feel like that though!

Hope everything goes well with you - good luck!

Cheers
Gill

Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

My Mum cried for days, just point blank refused to discuss it, any mention of OZ and she started crying! She is a bit better now but still very upset at the prospect of losing her 'faithful daughter' and two grandsons.

This is something we have to do for ourselves no matter how guilty that makes us feel, I've always been there for my family and feel it is about time they will be there to support me! Takes a lot of inner courage to feel like that though!

Hope everything goes well with you - good luck!

Hi..Couldn't have put it better myself!!!!

SPOT ON!!

Scott
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

jules

We really got used to our kids leaving when they went to University over 10 years ago.
Didn't miss them.
Don't miss them now that they live in Australia.
Probably see more of them now.
Can't hold on to them forever.

Now We are migrating and still have parents here. No problems at all although I accept we are older than most on here .
Don't have grandchildren yet either.

Going to make sure we live far enough away from them in Australia too. Don't want to be a Babysitter

Good luck

G
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think my mum is still in denial , she says things like " well you`ve got to get out of your system " and keeps rubbishing things about Australia like telling me not to let the kids ( 3 under 6yrs old) lose their accents because she can`t stand the accent .

Oh and Steve Irwin is an idiot and he only plays with crocodiles etc because there is nothing else to do there..lol

She knows deep down though...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

thanks

jules

Great news Jules
so glad that your parents took it so well mate, don't feel guilty think of it like this: fairly cheap holidays for them!
hugs
rach, mark and chanelle x
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

well done for getting it over and done with. I am totally worried about telling the family. When is the right time ?
We have only just applied for our skills assessment but are hoping to be in Oz by Jan next year.
I want to tell my family if the skills assessment comes back OK but I suposse it is a bit easier for me as my sister is already in Oz so my family is used to it. My husband doesnt want to tell his family until the visa arrives but I think that its a bit late and wont give then much time to get used to the idea.
When did you all tell your families- is it better to do it sooner or later ?
advice appreciated from those in the know !!!!
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:44 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Natty,
There is never a good time so the sooner the better.
We originally thought let's wait until we get a visa or are on the plane (cowards) but changed our mind and told them all right away.
Gives them time to adjust and it is really difficult holding all that inside yourself because you begin to live and breathe OZ.
We had a pleasant surprise with only one family member getting the "negatives". But she is an old dragon anyway
You know who I mean by that and of course I am taking her daughter away. Truth is though that wifey is every bit as keen as me.
Be brave and tell them now.
We just put it very low key on the basis we are trying to get a visa which is by no means easy but if we get one we will go to OZ.

Don't forget to duck when you tell them though
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi..We told ours(exceot my dad) once the Dimia took our payment for lodgement....No fun telling them but a massive relief after!!!!

Good Luck

Scott,Alison,Charlotte and Josh
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks

jules

Jules,
I'd just be so thankful that your parents are being so supportive. They seem to be very understanding people. I think a lot of people on here will wish they had parents like yours.

Tazzy
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:10 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Nver really thought I'd feel bad about moving away a few months ago but one of my brothers has already moved out there (probably permanently) and my other brother might have to move to Newcastle because of work. Realising that my parents might see all three sons move away within a year is making me feel very sorry for them. Still, we all have to do what we have to do and they are very understanding and reasonably supportive (aside from the 'what are you going to do out there? What about your career?!' remarks).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.