Reload this Page >

Just starting out! Worried about missing mum

Just starting out! Worried about missing mum

Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Misty33 is on a distinguished road
Red face Just starting out! Worried about missing mum

Hi
My husband and I have just sent off our application for permanent residency in Australia. We are being sponsored by my step brother and hope to live in Perth. It is still touch and go as to whether my job on the SOL is exactly what they want and it is such a long wait! I wish we could know tomorrow. Has anyone else applied under the Skilled Occupation Australian Sponsored category and do you have any idea how long it takes? Also I know nothing at all is definate yet, but I am really very close to my mum - does anyone know about parent / retirement visas - is there a permanent option? My mum and dad want to follow us over but don't know if it is a possibility - I have one sister and 2 step sisters in England and 1 step brother in Australia. Failing that I keep thinking that because mum and dad are retired they can come and stay with us for months at a time which will make it easier. How do you learn to come to terms with missing family and friends and still be able to enjoy the country you dream of spending your future in?
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out! Worried about missing mum

Firstly Hi Misty and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunatley I am not too sure how long sponsored Visa takes but I am sure many on this forum will be able to answer your question in time.
As regard to family and friends I think it is enevitable that you will miss them and is part of the deal.I am too also very close to my Mum and it is my biggest fear when we go.
Keep reasurring yourself that you have the telephone and although it is expensive you really are only a day away to get home to see them.Many people have webcams and I reckon thats what I will do so at least I can see her when talking.
Once you settle and get involved in everyday life like you do in the UK I am sure that it will be easier as time goes by.
Giving you this advice but who knows until you try it.Just going on what I have read from others on the subject.
Good Luck with your application hope you get the answers you need.S ee you in Sunny Perth.
Dreamaway
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Misty33
Hi
My husband and I have just sent off our application for permanent residency in Australia. We are being sponsored by my step brother and hope to live in Perth. It is still touch and go as to whether my job on the SOL is exactly what they want and it is such a long wait! I wish we could know tomorrow. Has anyone else applied under the Skilled Occupation Australian Sponsored category and do you have any idea how long it takes? Also I know nothing at all is definate yet, but I am really very close to my mum - does anyone know about parent / retirement visas - is there a permanent option? My mum and dad want to follow us over but don't know if it is a possibility - I have one sister and 2 step sisters in England and 1 step brother in Australia. Failing that I keep thinking that because mum and dad are retired they can come and stay with us for months at a time which will make it easier. How do you learn to come to terms with missing family and friends and still be able to enjoy the country you dream of spending your future in?

Misty

Well Where to start?

Can't help on skills Occupation. The quickest way to get parents to Aus is the Contributory Parent Visa. Currently takes around 4-6 months.
However you would have to have been resident in Aus for a least 2 years and be permanent resident or citizen.
There is a balance of family test to pass for your parents and this basically says that they have either equal or more of their children residing in Aus than any other country (it is a bit more complex than that inreality)
There is also a substantial 2nd visa charge currently $26457 for each applicant.

You may want to look at the Parent Migration booklet on the DIMIA site

www.immi.gov.au

There is the retirement option, but I think if you look at the details this is not a permanent option.

Sorry it looks like the minimum wait would be at least 2 years from you becoming permanent resident and your parents applying. Although with your step sisters, you may not pass the balance of family test, but look in the booklet, it explains in detail and gives a comprehensive chart regarding this.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:39 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

You may wish to look at the Aus & NZ Immigration forum on this site if you haven't already. There is far more info on these issues there, and some of the best agents in Australia and the UK post there. You'll get some good initial advice (but not on missing your family. This is the forum for those issues)

Hi
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:46 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya
"There is also a substantial 2nd visa charge currently $26457 for each applicant"

That's alot!

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:48 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

then again, how much is happyness worth?

I think I'd just pay it!

bye
Mark
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Just starting out! Worried about missing mum

Hi Dreamaway
I just wanted to say thank you so much for such an understanding and helpful response. It sounds as though you are off to Perth too (always nice to know someone else is going to the same place - it is so beautiful!) and I just wanted to say good luck with the move and best wishes. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Firstly Hi Misty and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunatley I am not too sure how long sponsored Visa takes but I am sure many on this forum will be able to answer your question in time.
As regard to family and friends I think it is enevitable that you will miss them and is part of the deal.I am too also very close to my Mum and it is my biggest fear when we go.
Keep reasurring yourself that you have the telephone and although it is expensive you really are only a day away to get home to see them.Many people have webcams and I reckon thats what I will do so at least I can see her when talking.
Once you settle and get involved in everyday life like you do in the UK I am sure that it will be easier as time goes by.
Giving you this advice but who knows until you try it.Just going on what I have read from others on the subject.
Good Luck with your application hope you get the answers you need.S ee you in Sunny Perth.
Dreamaway
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:40 am
Go Banana's !!

Hi,

We applied under the Aussie Sponsored General Skills category and it is suppoed to take 50 weeks but we did Meds/police checks without asking and actually got the Visa at the end of March 04 - saving 4 months off the processing time.

I don't think you can generalise on the time as I think it depends on so many aspects of both your application eg. what skill you might have and also how busy etc the DIMIA may be at that time of year.

If you reckon on 50 weeks then anything else will be a bonus.

Good luck

Warren
Perth again in less than 7 weeks

Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:26 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dreamaway
I just wanted to say thank you so much for such an understanding and helpful response. It sounds as though you are off to Perth too (always nice to know someone else is going to the same place - it is so beautiful!) and I just wanted to say good luck with the move and best wishes. Thanks again.
Cant really help on any of your questions but just wanted to say, if you come to Perth we have a very good social circle here (search for "Perth Ladies coffee mornings" or "pole dancing") so you could be too busy to miss anyone !
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Warren
Thanks for that. Was also wondering at what stage in the process they checked your work experience and references and whether they contact your line manager for further information - although I have enough work experience to get the points I may be moving company soon and it would be useful to know what they do.
Enjoy Perth!! Best Wishes

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi,

We applied under the Aussie Sponsored General Skills category and it is suppoed to take 50 weeks but we did Meds/police checks without asking and actually got the Visa at the end of March 04 - saving 4 months off the processing time.

I don't think you can generalise on the time as I think it depends on so many aspects of both your application eg. what skill you might have and also how busy etc the DIMIA may be at that time of year.

If you reckon on 50 weeks then anything else will be a bonus.

Good luck

Warren
Perth again in less than 7 weeks
Old Sep 9th 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

That is so nice to know - if we are lucky enough to get permanent residency I will look out for those!

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Cant really help on any of your questions but just wanted to say, if you come to Perth we have a very good social circle here (search for "Perth Ladies coffee mornings" or "pole dancing") so you could be too busy to miss anyone !
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:08 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
If my mother were missing, not sure I'd be that concerned.