Reload this Page >

Just starting out

Just starting out

Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

robert_c1970 is on a distinguished road
Smile Just starting out

Hi all.
As the subject suggests I’m just starting on what looks like a long road to OZ. Have been on a few sites and have been reading some posts. So downloaded the forms and plan to go as a metal machinist (first class) so started to fill in the form for that (TRA). Dug out all my certificates from my apprenticeship (EITB) (Fitter, Turner) but not to sure how to word it. Also wrote to old employers for letter with all the right thing in (sent them a copy of TRA form so they could word it as described) all I got back was a page with, Robert Charlton worked hear from __ to __ as a horizontal borer. Thought that was a bit thin on the ground so went for plan B and get an agent. But they want £800 just for help with TRA. I’m a bit on the mean side and thought that was a bit steep. So has anyone got a helping word or point me in a good direction or doing it for me or even giving me the cash to employ an agent.

Cheers Rob.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out

Welcome to the lunatic asylum Robert.

Can't answer your question as I am on a Spouse Visa but there will be loads of people who can help. From what I can gather, if you are prepared to put in a lot of hard work, and read everything bit of info DIMIA offer, you should be able to do it yourself - with a bit of help from your new friends.

All the best and prepare to become addicted to the site.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robert_c1970
Hi all.
As the subject suggests I’m just starting on what looks like a long road to OZ. Have been on a few sites and have been reading some posts. So downloaded the forms and plan to go as a metal machinist (first class) so started to fill in the form for that (TRA). Dug out all my certificates from my apprenticeship (EITB) (Fitter, Turner) but not to sure how to word it. Also wrote to old employers for letter with all the right thing in (sent them a copy of TRA form so they could word it as described) all I got back was a page with, Robert Charlton worked hear from __ to __ as a horizontal borer. Thought that was a bit thin on the ground so went for plan B and get an agent. But they want £800 just for help with TRA. I’m a bit on the mean side and thought that was a bit steep. So has anyone got a helping word or point me in a good direction or doing it for me or even giving me the cash to employ an agent.

Cheers Rob.
Welcome Robert,

Sorry I haven't got much info on your visa (I'm on a fiance visa) but I wish you well "on the path" in any case

Cheers
Matt
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:15 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Hi Rob

I did a Skilled Independant visa, I had to get refs' from my ex-employers too. I too found that some refs came back that where not what the Aussies and I asked for. I think that you are probably best getting back intouch with the employers and if it comes to it stand over their shoulders until they get it right.

anyway welcome to the site

Gee
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Yeah world certainly agree with Gee, I had to ensure my references were quite detailed not too much about how fantastic I was (hahaha..yeah right) but a detailed breakdown of the work I carried out.

If you do a search for references I am sure there will be lots of ideas. As I have mentioned before if you are doing the form yourself take your time, pay attention to detail and never ever assume something on the form or any evidence that forms part of the form e.g. for my medical I had to get a letter to state that I had a problem but that it was all okay now even though it was easy to assume this was the case it was best to make sure there was no room for error.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Hi there, what my hubby did was to draft the reference he needed and then get a senior colleague to sign it. Done deal. Is there anyone you were friendly with that would be willing to sign something that you had drafted?

Good luck on your journey. By the way I guess from your forum name you are referring to year of birth? Makes me feel pretty old. In 1970 I was just leaving junior school :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

robert_c1970 is on a distinguished road

Yep 35 next birthday which is a bit of a bummer as I'll drop 5 points if I don't get my main application in by then.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Just starting out

Originally Posted by robert_c1970
Yep 35 next birthday which is a bit of a bummer as I'll drop 5 points if I don't get my main application in by then.

Hi Rob
Welcome to the site and be prepared to get addicted to it, my wife and just got word of this site last week and as a result are never off it! but it has a lot of friendly, helpfull people that interact on it.
My wife and I have just sent off our SI visa application to our agent and it has been about 4 months in the making, with Lindsay doing 99.9% of the hard work.
When she was preparing her 'job' description, the only way to do it was to word and write the whole thing herself (as advised by the agent) and just get her boss to sign it, lets face it with everybody being so busy at work, the last thing an employer wants to do is write a reference for someone that may not even work for them anymore!
Good luck and hope this helps!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:42 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just starting out

Hi there,

We used an agent just for the skills assesment part of the application and completed the main body of it ourselves. Although the agent was really, really useful (providing lots of examples, checking stuff over etc.), hubby still had to put in most of the work. Like Sue's hubby, we also drafted references etc. and then got employers to sign (this at least gave them an idea of what we were after, if they wanted to reword any particular bits). And BillnLinz's post is accurate with regard to the timeframe (in our case, at least).

But even with all that, the cost wasn't that much! Shop around and play them off against one another - prices are definitely negotiable. And we found it was worth asking the agent for contact details of people in a similar position to yours that they've previously helped (always useful to speak to someone who's been through the process to see how they found it before giving up your cold, hard cash!).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Geordie George; Nov 16th 2004 at 8:46 pm.