Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just starting and need help?????

Just starting and need help?????

Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

PaulS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting and need help?????

Hello, I'm trying to find out whether I have the points to start the emmigration ball rolling. I've tried some of the online questionnaires, but they all seem to say "Congratulations have the required number of points", but I don't trust these and am sure this is just to get me to pay for a consultancy. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this or recommend an honest agent in the UK or Oz who will do it for me?

Really grateful for any advice
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting and need help?????

Originally Posted by PaulS
Hello, I'm trying to find out whether I have the points to start the emmigration ball rolling. I've tried some of the online questionnaires, but they all seem to say "Congratulations have the required number of points", but I don't trust these and am sure this is just to get me to pay for a consultancy. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this or recommend an honest agent in the UK or Oz who will do it for me?

Really grateful for any advice
I've never known one to say that unless it's true. Check out www.immi.gov.au all the info you need is on there somewhere. Good luck.

You can also check out Agents at http://www.themara.com.au/Online/Default.asp?DeptID=117
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick response.

My issue with these automated things is that my job doesn't really fit squarely into any one skills category, it kind of straddles 2. So the automatic questionnaire thing is a little too black and white.

But if you think they are generally accurate then that is a relief and brings me on to my next question, are immigration agents worth the money? I am tempted to just pay someone else to deal with all the hassle and give me advice rather than fumble along on my own. What is your experience on this?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Grrr, my hubby forgot to log out!!!!
==============
if you think you straddle two categories, I would hazard a guess that an agent would be worth the money. A straight-forward application often can be done by the applicant, but if there is anything complicate3d about it, then you need an agent to show you the right way to go - could save you a lot of time, effort, and money in the long run.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Grrr, my hubby forgot to log out!!!!
==============
if you think you straddle two categories, I would hazard a guess that an agent would be worth the money. A straight-forward application often can be done by the applicant, but if there is anything complicate3d about it, then you need an agent to show you the right way to go - could save you a lot of time, effort, and money in the long run.
I agree, it could make the difference of passing or not. I thought our agent was worth every penny. We probably wouldn't have passed the skills assesment without them.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WendyC
I agree, it could make the difference of passing or not. I thought our agent was worth every penny. We probably wouldn't have passed the skills assesment without them.
Thanks for the replies. Who did you use?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PaulS
Thanks for the replies. Who did you use?

We used www.visabureau.co.uk