Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

just starting.lots of questions.

just starting.lots of questions.

Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

KatyAnnH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just starting.lots of questions.

Hello
I've just joined and my family and are just starting the visa process with ASA.

I have trawled the site-great responses, really helpful. If you have time please send your thoughts on these questions for someone just beginning it all:

1.If you are arriving without a job (we work in dance/education so we don't assume to get high paying jobs straight away) and want to live without worrying about getting the perfect job instantly-how much would you need in the bank for a year by living modestly, to cover the basics?

2.how do you move £ to $?

3.has anyone shipped their car and what's involved if you do? I have a friend that shipped her to the US.

4.What's the rough cost of shipping and how long does it take?

5.what can you sort out officially prior to arriving to make life easier?

6.are most lets without furniture in oz?

7. asa have said that you are only 'morally obliged' to stay in a state sponsored area and you could move within 2 years- this sounds a bit dishonest and I feel is risky ...anyone know more? I think we will be sponsored by ACT.

8. what is the schools situation-is it as competitive as the UK /does it work in catchments/what happens if you just arrive and you need to get them into school.

thanks so much in advance,it seems a long process and we will have a wait but already all of this is keeping me awake at night!!

Katy
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just starting.lots of questions.

HI and welcome

1) Too difficult to answer, depends upon the individual. How much do you think you would need to live on in the UK if you didn't work for a year? You really need to work this out yourself, based upon where you would like to lvie etc.

2) Money broker e.g. Oxforex

3) A couple of people have, general consensus is that unless there is something special about your car it is not worth it.

4) Shipping what? A full house, the car or a few suitcases?

5) There is not much that can be done before you get here to make life easier. Many people open a bank account and perhaps contact some recruitment agents a few weeks before arrival, can't think of much else. You need to be here for most things.

6) yes, lets are generally unfurnished.

7) No comment, I am really over this debate.

8) I don't have children so cannot comment on schools.

My overall advice though, is not to worry about most of this stuff at this point. The visa process needs your attention right now. Maybe once that is running along you can start to look into these lifestyle questions.

Also a better place to ask about living in Australia is in the main Australia forum, this forum is better for questions about visas and stuff. Lots of people that read in here are not in Australia yet.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatyAnnH
Hello
I've just joined and my family and are just starting the visa process with ASA.

I have trawled the site-great responses, really helpful. If you have time please send your thoughts on these questions for someone just beginning it all:

1.If you are arriving without a job (we work in dance/education so we don't assume to get high paying jobs straight away) and want to live without worrying about getting the perfect job instantly-how much would you need in the bank for a year by living modestly, to cover the basics?

3.has anyone shipped their car and what's involved if you do? I have a friend that shipped her to the US.

4.What's the rough cost of shipping and how long does it take?

5.what can you sort out officially prior to arriving to make life easier?

7. asa have said that you are only 'morally obliged' to stay in a state sponsored area and you could move within 2 years- this sounds a bit dishonest and I feel is risky ...anyone know more? I think we will be sponsored by ACT.

8. what is the schools situation-is it as competitive as the UK /does it work in catchments/what happens if you just arrive and you need to get them into school.

thanks so much in advance,it seems a long process and we will have a wait but already all of this is keeping me awake at night!!

Katy
The only advice I can give you is to ensure that the ONLY communication you have is with the actual migration agent working on your case. Not the assistant, not the CEO, not the secretary, just the MARA registered agent. And the guy who works at the UK office is not a MARA registered agent.

Once you have a few more posts you can PM me for further information.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

KatyAnnH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

www.tranzfers.com or for large amounts www.ozforex.com

Yes, afraid so

Have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774 especially the Top Tips threads - any figures may now be a bit dated, but there are some really good hints there