British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Just some thoughts, for those coming. Random. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/just-some-thoughts-those-coming-random-286723/)

madsad Feb 26th 2005 1:40 pm

Just some thoughts, for those coming. Random.

1) If you are coming with wife & kids and no regrets then home is where you lay your hat.
2) Dont come expecting little England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland/ETC, It's not.
3) Arrive here with a fantastic sense of achievment, no one gets here easy & build on it.
4) On the days you do feel low,battle through, remember why you done it in the first place.
5) Homesickness is a personal thing and i wont preach, but live your life for you and your's and no one else.
6) If you do feel homesick and really feel it's not for you, satisfy yourself that you have given your all to make friends, a social life, a better life, etc.
7) Remember that the mates you left behind in the UK miss u as much as you miss them, but think on it as you have now given them the chance of a holiday of a lifetime with free digs thrown in.
8) Be prepared that those you thought might stay in touch dont, but then again be prepared that those you never thought would do.

Folks these are really random thoughts, and me & mine have only been here 6 weeks, but we opened our minds we through ourselves into it and we are loving it!!

All the best.

The Madsads.

lesley street Feb 26th 2005 1:50 pm

Re: Just some thoughts, for those coming. Random.

Hi Madsads

Your thoughts are very sensible advice.

Thanks

Lesley + Martin

logan Feb 26th 2005 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
1) If you are coming with wife & kids and no regrets then home is where you lay your hat.
2) Dont come expecting little England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland/ETC, It's not.
3) Arrive here with a fantastic sense of achievment, no one gets here easy & build on it.
4) On the days you do feel low,battle through, remember why you done it in the first place.
5) Homesickness is a personal thing and i wont preach, but live your life for you and your's and no one else.
6) If you do feel homesick and really feel it's not for you, satisfy yourself that you have given your all to make friends, a social life, a better life, etc.
7) Remember that the mates you left behind in the UK miss u as much as you miss them, but think on it as you have now given them the chance of a holiday of a lifetime with free digs thrown in.
8) Be prepared that those you thought might stay in touch dont, but then again be prepared that those you never thought would do.

Folks these are really random thoughts, and me & mine have only been here 6 weeks, but we opened our minds we through ourselves into it and we are loving it!!

All the best.

The Madsads.

I like your points, and will remember them when we start our second half of the rollercoaster ride. We arrive in Brissy on the 16th and can't wait! :D

artep Feb 26th 2005 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
1) 7) Remember that the mates you left behind in the UK miss u as much as you miss them, but think on it as you have now given them the chance of a holiday of a lifetime with free digs thrown in.

Think this is the one that mean the most to me....I have a very dear friend that I'll miss a lot...but I KNOW she'll come over to visit!!! :D

Jamiem Feb 27th 2005 10:28 am

>>8) Be prepared that those you thought might stay in touch dont, but then >>again be prepared that those you never thought would do.

Well said, -nice post :-)

This was the point which got me most. Have lost contact with closest friends, but never closer to some others and feel I have really forged some stronger friendships. Funny old world, makes you think!

be happy,

jamie :beer:

CasG Feb 27th 2005 10:33 am

A thoughtful, nice post - like we've come to expect from you both. :)

Take care, Cas

It is brill isn't it!! :D