Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just some info about migrant luggage allowance!

Just some info about migrant luggage allowance!

Old May 1st 2005, 3:53 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just some info about migrant luggage allowance!

Ok you probably all know this anyway but just for anyone like me who is new to all this I thought I would post my findings on airlines and luggage allowance on one way flights to Oz.

We went into Trailfinders in Glasgow today to get our quotes for flying to Brisbane. We preferably wanted to fly Emirates as they fly direct from Glasgow, with a 4 night stopover in Singapore before going over to our new home in Brisbane!

Emirates flight price was excellent coming in at 451 pounds + tax (500 pound approx) - THEN I enquired about the migrant luggage allowance only to find out that Emirates only give you the 40kg each if you don't have a stopover - she even phoned Emirates to check this and they also said we would have to fly nonstop

So back to the drawing board then as we definately want a stopover in Singapore and want the increased luggage allowance.

Singapore airlines from Heathrow (we will have to get a BM flight from Gla-London 1st) comes in at around 600 pound per person and definately includes the migrant allowance of 40kg each even with a stopover.

The other option that I have heard mentioned on here before is to fly 'the other way round' with either Air New Zealand or Quantas and take advantage of 2 suitcases per person with a maximum of 32kg in each case (thats 64kg per person!!!!!). An attractive allowance but we don't really want a stopover in LA America or Fiji.

So looks like we will be going via Heathrow airport again! We thought with the introduction of direct Emirates flights from Glasgow we were on to a winner but not to be! I wonder if Emirates realise they are losing a lot of business with this silly migrant rule?

What are your experiences on this issue?

Lynn
Old May 1st 2005, 4:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just some info about migrant luggage allowance!

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
The other option that I have heard mentioned on here before is to fly 'the other way round' with either Air New Zealand or Quantas and take advantage of 2 suitcases per person with a maximum of 32kg in each case (thats 64kg per person!!!!!). An attractive allowance but we don't really want a stopover in LA America or Fiji.
You could try flying Air Canada to Sydney via Vancouver.

There is a stop in Hawaii but only for refuelling and as no-one gets on or off the plane, there is no US immigration clearance. There is another flight from Vancouver to Sydney that does make the 'proper' stop, so make sure you choose the right one.

It's also worth ensuring your passports meet US requirements anyway just in case things don't go to plan.

Jeremy
Old May 1st 2005, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
You could try flying Air Canada to Sydney via Vancouver.

There is a stop in Hawaii but only for refuelling and as no-one gets on or off the plane, there is no US immigration clearance. There is another flight from Vancouver to Sydney that does make the 'proper' stop, so make sure you choose the right one.

It's also worth ensuring your passports meet US requirements anyway just in case things don't go to plan.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy that is another route to consider but still think we will just travel down to Heathrow and go Singapore airlines, with our stopover in singapore - really got my heart set on a break in singapore. We were just disapointed that Emirates would not allow us to have a stopover and to still take advantage of the migrant luggage allowance. It is annoying for us Scots who have to fly to London (at extra cost) to go anywhere farflung!

Thanks again,
Lynn
Old May 1st 2005, 5:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is annoying for us Scots who have to fly to London (at extra cost) to go anywhere farflung!

Doesn't the airline include the cost of the 'domestic' flight leg in the ticket?

There are flights from Glasgow to places like Amsterdam, you could always avoid London completely if you liked.

Jeremy
Old May 1st 2005, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't the airline include the cost of the 'domestic' flight leg in the ticket?

There are flights from Glasgow to places like Amsterdam, you could always avoid London completely if you liked.

Jeremy
Yeah the travel agent at Trailfinders quotes the total price to you including the domestic flight but its more expensive than if I was to travel to London and book flights there!

Emirates Gla-Brisbane (via Singapore) = 500 pound pp

Singapore airlines Glasgow-Brisbane (via Singapore) = 600 pounds pp (includes the BMI domestic flight)

Singpore airlines online price London-Brisbane (via singapore) = 480 pp
+ domestic BMI flight Glasgow-Heathrow = 33 pound pp

Total cost = 513 pp - so I would save booking online myself but the only
problem is that if the BMI flight was cancelled or delayed it would be MY problem if I missed flight to singapore whereas booking it all together through travel agent is safer and they would just put you on the next flight. Also BMI might not honour the 40kg allowance, whereas if you book flights as a 'package' they honour migrant 40kg allowance 90% of the time.

Lynn
Old May 1st 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

We have had a similar quote through Travelbag, stopping at Dubai and Singapore. I questioned the baggage allowance, they called Emarites and then called me back and said that it wouldn't be a problem.. we could still have the extra kg's...

I will question them again and let you know the outcome.

Julie
Old May 1st 2005, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JJJHM
We have had a similar quote through Travelbag, stopping at Dubai and Singapore. I questioned the baggage allowance, they called Emarites and then called me back and said that it wouldn't be a problem.. we could still have the extra kg's...

I will question them again and let you know the outcome.

Julie
hmmmmm - our travel agent phoned Emirates in front of us and they said no, we couldn't have the allowance with a stopover - I will e-mail Emirates customer services if I can and let them know they will be losing our business because of this - will be interesting to see what they say,
Will also let you know!

Lynn

p.s are you planning a stopover? If not then you will be fine - the problem with our case is that we want 4 nights in singapore before continuing our onwards journey to Brisbane.
Old May 1st 2005, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

hmmmmm - our travel agent phoned Emirates in front of us and they said no, we couldn't have the allowance with a stopover - I will e-mail Emirates customer services if I can and let them know they will be losing our business because of this - will be interesting to see what they say,
Will also let you know!

Lynn

p.s are you planning a stopover? If not then you will be fine - the problem with our case is that we want 4 nights in singapore before continuing our onwards journey to Brisbane.
Yes, we want a week in Dubai, at least 3 nights in Singapore... considering adding in another one or two stops on the way... as it will be a once in a lifetime exeperience!!
Old May 1st 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Just a word of warning - if you have already been out to validate your visa - you will not then qualify for thje emigration luggage allowance when you emigrate 'proper'.

You must not have used the visa previously to enter Aus.

However, Singapore said we could call them when we had booked online (GBP30 cheaper online per person) and they would give us 10kg extra each (almost the same as flying via the dreaded LAX).

Singapore are consistently reliable and they fly direct to Adelaide.

One way 5/7/05 for two = £1063 incl taxes.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Olive101
Just a word of warning - if you have already been out to validate your visa - you will not then qualify for thje emigration luggage allowance when you emigrate 'proper'.

You must not have used the visa previously to enter Aus.

However, Singapore said we could call them when we had booked online (GBP30 cheaper online per person) and they would give us 10kg extra each (almost the same as flying via the dreaded LAX).

Singapore are consistently reliable and they fly direct to Adelaide.

One way 5/7/05 for two = £1063 incl taxes.
Good advice thanks - but when we go in Oct or Nov this will be our main move and we will be validating our visa's then.

Think it will be singaporeair we use - have also heard good things about them,

Lynn
Old May 3rd 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Emirates will not budge on this one, or they wouldn't for us. I told them they wouldn't be getting our business unless we had the 40 kg allowance and they basically said tough luck.

We are flying via the states stopping in NY and LA and will get the 64kg allowance which will be a big help.
Old May 3rd 2005, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Emirates will not budge on this one, or they wouldn't for us. I told them they wouldn't be getting our business unless we had the 40 kg allowance and they basically said tough luck.

We are flying via the states stopping in NY and LA and will get the 64kg allowance which will be a big help.
Seems very silly of Emirates to lose 2000 pounds worth of business for the sake of a few kg's but so be it eh!?

Lynn
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:02 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Seems very silly of Emirates to lose 2000 pounds worth of business for the sake of a few kg's but so be it eh!?

Lynn
have you tried flying ex-manchester or birmingham with emirates, they might budge on the stopover ruling on this route. it might also be cheaper.....

maybe somebody could drive you down to manchester, or even birmingham (they did used to fly that route, don't know if they still do!!!)

keep trying!!!

michelle
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare

Who are you flying with now?
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

We are flying via the states stopping in NY and LA and will get the 64kg allowance which will be a big help.[/QUOTE]

now thats what i call baggage allowance, bit unsure which way to get there my self at the mo was thinking about a multi stop ticket, as some one said earlier in the thread once in a life time experience.
thanks for that at least i know the baggage allowance via the states now

andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.