Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just renewed passport....what about visa?

Just renewed passport....what about visa?

Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:04 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question Just renewed passport....what about visa?

Hi, I have just renewed my UK passport, obviously my old passport had my permanent visa in it....therefore how do I get a visa into my new passport, and do the robbing sods want more money off me I presume I just contact DIMIA, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers
if you can help
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just renewed passport....what about visa?

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Hi, I have just renewed my UK passport, obviously my old passport had my permanent visa in it....therefore how do I get a visa into my new passport, and do the robbing sods want more money off me I presume I just contact DIMIA, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers
if you can help
You should be able to take it into your local office and get a new label printed free.
Thats certainly what I did in Brisbane.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

I had the visa added to the new passport for free in the Perth office a couple of months ago
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Cheers
if you can help
If your visa label is in a passport which has expired, you can continue to use the old label until it expires by carrying both your old and new passports when travelling.

It is widely known by the airline industry that it is ok to do this... however, if you are worried, bring along a printed copy of:
http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/perm_res/02.htm#x8
and draw their attention to point 8
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
If your visa label is in a passport which has expired, you can continue to use the old label until it expires by carrying both your old and new passports when travelling.

It is widely known by the airline industry that it is ok to do this... however, if you are worried, bring along a printed copy of:
http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/perm_res/02.htm#x8
and draw their attention to point 8

I'm not so sure how "widely known by the airline industry that it is ok to do this" - quite a few people have been delayed at check-in (and even missed flights) because airline staff didn't understand this and needed to get clearance from DIMA's Entry Operations Centre in Canberra.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:28 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
if you can help

You have 2 options:

1) Carry the 2 documents when you travel as you still have a valid OZ pr visa
in the old UK passport

2) Get pr visa transfered to new pasport for which there may be a charge

The info is somewhere on the DIMA website as I recall.

I did nothing ie option (1) and have had absolutely no problems with airlines/immigration etc
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:32 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to all the above......and ABC all very helpful. I think my best option is to slip into Perth to get another stamp in the new passport, just to be on the safe side. Thanks again all.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:36 am
Karma earned, not whored

Just got off the phone with DIMIA, the official line is more or less as suggested above.

1) If you dont want a new visa sticker, you should always travel with both passports, and all airport staff should be aware of the fact that this is accepted policy.
2) If you do need/want a new visa sticker in your new passport, then you can turn up at any DIMIA office (without an appointment) and they will print you out a new sticker while you wait...............................at a cost of $ 60.

Needless to say I have opted for option 1.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just got off the phone with DIMIA, the official line is more or less as suggested above.

1) If you dont want a new visa sticker, you should always travel with both passports, and all airport staff should be aware of the fact that this is accepted policy.
2) If you do need/want a new visa sticker in your new passport, then you can turn up at any DIMIA office (without an appointment) and they will print you out a new sticker while you wait...............................at a cost of $ 60.

Needless to say I have opted for option 1.

The information given in option 2 is WRONG. There is no fee to re-evidence a visa except for a Resident Return Visa. Form 990i confirms this.

The DIMA advice line has acquire a reputation for giving advice that's incomplete, misinterpreted or just plain wrong.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:50 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
The information given in option 2 is WRONG. There is no fee to re-evidence a visa except for a Resident Return Visa. Form 990i confirms this.

The DIMA advice line has acquire a reputation for giving advice that's incomplete, misinterpreted or just plain wrong.
I was also quoted the same $60 per visa. Was informed it was ok to take old passport with me when travelling, but there might be a wait at immigration on the way back in........I'm patient!!!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vivi
I was also quoted the same $60 per visa. Was informed it was ok to take old passport with me when travelling, but there might be a wait at immigration on the way back in........I'm patient!!!
Did ours for free in Adelaide.

G
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by vivi
I was also quoted the same $60 per visa. Was informed it was ok to take old passport with me when travelling, but there might be a wait at immigration on the way back in......

There might also be a wait at check-in for the flight.

The $60 you were quoted is wrong, lots of people are being given incorrect advice by DIMA about this. There's no fee to re-evidence a visa other than an RRV.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:59 pm
Karma earned, not whored

As this event has now passed, I thought I would report the outcome. We flew with the new passport and also took the old one, the one containing the visa, everything went well. The old passport was required, and was viewed. No money was spent for new visas, and I didnt need to get a new visa in the new passport, simply carrying the old one as well was all that was required, as many of you had said.

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:03 am
JAJ
Retired

As this event has now passed, I thought I would report the outcome. We flew with the new passport and also took the old one, the one containing the visa, everything went well. The old passport was required, and was viewed.
You were lucky. Other people have missed flights in cases where airline check-in staff were inexperienced and/or fussy.

No money was spent for new visas, and I didnt need to get a new visa in the new passport
But you could have got a new visa stamp for free if you had wished. You were given wrong advice by DIMA.