Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just a quick question?

Just a quick question?

Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:56 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough
Default Just a quick question?

I'm looking into moving to the land of Auz in the not to distant future, still in resaearch stages as awaiting a final qualification before i go. Hopefully i am going on a rekkie in January 07 for a few weeks and need some advice on places people think may be worth a look.

i've only ever visited sydney and love it, but am prepared ro consider other places. I have discounted perth after just a small amount of research told me it was worng with a capital W for young singles (which is what catagory i come into). Obvuosly sydney fits well with my current circumstances but was looking for opinions on melbourne, brisbane etc... for my next rekkie

All opinions recieved gratefully!!!!

thannks
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Just a quick question?

Originally Posted by hayleyhails
I'm looking into moving to the land of Auz in the not to distant future, still in resaearch stages as awaiting a final qualification before i go. Hopefully i am going on a rekkie in January 07 for a few weeks and need some advice on places people think may be worth a look.

i've only ever visited sydney and love it, but am prepared ro consider other places. I have discounted perth after just a small amount of research told me it was worng with a capital W for young singles (which is what catagory i come into). Obvuosly sydney fits well with my current circumstances but was looking for opinions on melbourne, brisbane etc... for my next rekkie

thannks
Hi,my nephew in his 20s lives in Brisbane and loves it,says it is cheaper than Sydney and better weather than Melbourne!! Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:08 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a quick question?

I have discounted perth after just a small amount of research told me it was worng with a capital W for young singles (which is what catagory i come into).

thannks
I'm very happily married with the best child I could wish for.... but if i were young and single, would I like to live in Perth? Bloody right!
I have never seen so many good looking 'kids' (Young & Single) as there are in Perth, having fun and partying.... why would any other 'young single' not want to join them???????? You must be mad (with a capital M)

Neil.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:09 pm

hayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the roughhayleyhails is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,my nephew in his 20s lives in Brisbane and loves it,says it is cheaper than Sydney and better weather than Melbourne!! Good luck

thanks ill look further into it, flights there are a good price too!!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I'm very happily married with the best child I could wish for.... but if i were young and single, would I like to live in Perth? Bloody right!
I have never seen so many good looking 'kids' (Young & Single) as there are in Perth, having fun and partying.... why would any other 'young single' not want to join them???????? You must be mad (with a capital M)

Neil.

meant no offence heard its a really lovely place but without friends and family there hard to settle there!! This kind of put me off, read a lot on here about it being more difficult there to make friends, im going alone (i think) so i need to go somewhere where there are lots in my position. Maybe i have been mis-informed!!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Just a quick question?

Neil.
Hi,off subject but whats work situation like in Perth my wife is very keen to live there after we settle,Cheers Dave
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,off subject but whats work situation like in Perth my wife is very keen to live there after we settle,Cheers Dave

i've heard job prospects are not bad there, especially if you have a skill. Not sure what skills so not really much help but from what i hear with the expansion going on there jobs are quite plentiful.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:25 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

meant no offence heard its a really lovely place but without friends and family there hard to settle there!! This kind of put me off, read a lot on here about it being more difficult there to make friends, im going alone (i think) so i need to go somewhere where there are lots in my position. Maybe i have been mis-informed!!
Hi

I think you will be fine where ever you go. Oz is such a friendly place where (in my experience) you are accepted for who you are and not what you are. The first night we arrived here we went to a party with friends and not one person asked, "So what do you do for a job". How refreshing was that!

Seriously, good luck to you, give it a go wherever you decide is best for you.... you won't regret it. It will change your life. I have travelled all over Oz and Perth is lovely, yes a little isolated (I have to order spare parts from Sydney nearly every day, as they are not available in Perth) But it's so easy to get around the city, no where is too far, hence your social life 'should' be good.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:42 pm

Also, i know this is a long shot but anyone know anything about jobs in parole and probation over there? i am a probatin officer here and figured thats the easiest thing to do over there. By end of sept i will 2 degrees a diploma and an NVQ level 4 (i know some of this means little in Auz!)

Do you get extra points on SOL for another degree? (Know this is probably wishful thinking!)

and; anyone know if probation jobs are easy to come by?

thanks
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:57 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Neil.

I had to laugh at this message . Of course there are single people in Perth - they do marry each other occassionally,you know!

On a more serious note, it does depend on what kind of person you are and what you like to do. I left Perth for London in my early 20s because it felt "too quiet" for me but I grew up there and felt a bit of contempt for the place at times and didn't really appricaiate what I had. That said, I did have a good social life when I was a student/before I left and now i can't wait to get back there. My school friends and rellies all managed to meet and marry and reproduce with other people from Perth, so it can be done LOL.

Michelle
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by michellemac
I had to laugh at this message . Of course there are single people in Perth - they do marry each other occassionally,you know!

On a more serious note, it does depend on what kind of person you are and what you like to do. I left Perth for London in my early 20s because it felt "too quiet" for me but I grew up there and felt a bit of contempt for the place at times and didn't really appricaiate what I had. That said, I did have a good social life when I was a student/before I left and now i can't wait to get back there. My school friends and rellies all managed to meet and marry and reproduce with other people from Perth, so it can be done LOL.

Michelle

i appreciate that as i said only going on advice i have recieved, as ive said im going alone and dont want to end up in a place where life is centred around family and school friends!! im going alone so want to go somewhere im not going to have trouble making friends, im outgoing and not shy but dont want to make things harder for myself as im sure its going to be enough for me to get used to wihout added pressures. I am sure there are singles as with everywhere but from what ive heard its more difficult for singles there. Thanks for info though
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Adelaide, although it does get overlooked quite a lot.
If you're willing to settle there, you can get in for less points than you would in the others because the Aus government is trying to encourage more people to move there.

It's a beautiful city, with good nightlife, bars, cafes, green open spaces and a good mix between country and city. If my hub's family weren't all in Sydney, I would be moving to Adelaide. Just beautiful.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Adelaide, although it does get overlooked quite a lot.
If you're willing to settle there, you can get in for less points than you would in the others because the Aus government is trying to encourage more people to move there.

It's a beautiful city, with good nightlife, bars, cafes, green open spaces and a good mix between country and city. If my hub's family weren't all in Sydney, I would be moving to Adelaide. Just beautiful.

Thanks for that i will look into it, a place i hadnt really considered but theonly place i have ruled out is perth i think. Sounds really nice there, more research i think!!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:24 pm

Come on guys you can do better than this!!!!

thanks to those who replied i know im a pain but where are all the helpful soles????
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

**** it hailey....

forget the rest - move to brisbane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.