Just not fair!!!

Wikiposts

Just not fair!!!

Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:57 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just not fair!!!

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
Bridie

Not strictly true, you can use a HNC for 40 point occupations. But that only helps if you've tons of points elsewhere or a sponsor in Oz. (I know, I know - you knew that already!)
Yes, but the problem is secretarial jobs arent on the SOL.....
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bridiej
Yes, but the problem is secretarial jobs arent on the SOL.....
No, but Office Manager is and is 40 point (and Company Secretary at 50points). Whats your HNC in?, if its business and finance then it could be used. I'm sure you've been down this avenue but thought I'd post for others who are in a similar position who aren't aware. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs after everything you've been through.

No offence meant.

Last edited by Craig Brooke; Feb 14th 2005 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:44 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helium Kid
Anyone else in the same boat??

Here I am a respectable hard working honest bloke with a wife and a couple of Kids who are both doing well at school and to be honest, life ain't so bad.

We all have one thing we are unanimous about and that is starting a new life in OZ. My wife and I are both confident we would find work when we go there.

What I do find annoying is that I am under 40, have in the region of £300k to take to OZ which would set us up nicely, yet because we haven't got a skill on the 'In demand' list, we can't quite muster enough points.

Where there's a will there's a way....blah! blah!....

I now have to go the business visa route which is risky with no guarantee that we will get PR at the end of the term. We can only buy a new build property or piece of land and build ourselves, and things like medicare etc will be hard to obtain without probably paying higher premiums because of the non PR status.

I'm not moaning as we are prepared to give it our best shot and will be going.

Just amazes me that some people get PR with no guarantee they will find work and have little or no savings to take with them.

Funny old world.

HK.
Not that it helps - but I feel sorry for you. I can see where you're coming from. You've obviously worked hard and applied a lot of time to develop a skill base (otherwise you wouldn't have amassed that much capital).

But as has been noted, money doesn't buy everything. I too would be frustrated if I thought people were getting in and weren't actively going to be 'adding' anything to Oz society.

Wish you all the best and hope you do get in and live a life you sound like you deserve.

Rob
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:50 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I know how you feel, my sister her hubby & 10 year old triplets looked at moving to Aus but because her & hubby had been police officers for years in UK they weren't on skills list.
She would have been better off as a pastry chef or something.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I know how you feel, my sister her hubby & 10 year old triplets looked at moving to Aus but because her & hubby had been police officers for years in UK they weren't on skills list.
She would have been better off as a pastry chef or something.
You'll laugh now, but I met with a Immigration Agent at Surfers Paradise a few weeks back and he said that you can apply for a Student Visa which gives you 2 years over there. Hubby or Wife can then train to be a pastry chef or other, and you can also work for 20 hours per week legally.

The upshot is that you gain a qualification in OZ and if you have a job offer at the end of it can apply for PR at the end of the two years, or something along those lines....

Also there is nothing stopping you in that two year period from starting up a business and seeing where that takes you, so long as you don't declare more than 20 hours work per week.

There are various ways if you want it bad enough.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I have a similar problem.
Me (journalist) and boyfriend (self-employed plumber) are both under 40 and, although we could almost scrape enough points together if he was the main applicant, he apparently has to show something like eight years work experience.
He only started plumbing four-five years ago so is not able to show this.
So although we could both find decent jobs out there, and have the cash to support ourselves, we would struggle to get a visa unless we did some serious blagging.
Annoyingly, in two years time, by which time he could prove enough work experience, he will be over 40 and will lose five points so we still wouldn't qualify!
Aaaarrrggghhhhhh!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

You'll laugh now, but I met with a Immigration Agent at Surfers Paradise a few weeks back and he said that you can apply for a Student Visa which gives you 2 years over there. Hubby or Wife can then train to be a pastry chef or other, and you can also work for 20 hours per week legally.

The upshot is that you gain a qualification in OZ and if you have a job offer at the end of it can apply for PR at the end of the two years, or something along those lines....

Also there is nothing stopping you in that two year period from starting up a business and seeing where that takes you, so long as you don't declare more than 20 hours work per week.

There are various ways if you want it bad enough.
That's really interesting. I'm quite keen to re-train so would definitley be an option for me, I reckon.
Might look into that!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:50 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DianneH68
That's really interesting. I'm quite keen to re-train so would definitley be an option for me, I reckon.
Might look into that!
I know someone who is doing this - she is a friend of a friend, but she is also a member on this website - think her 'handle' is Claire33. She is looking into going over on a student visa with the intention of then getting her PR at the end of her training.

There are always ways and means!

Rob
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:52 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
No, but Office Manager is and is 40 point (and Company Secretary at 50points). Whats your HNC in?, if its business and finance then it could be used. I'm sure you've been down this avenue but thought I'd post for others who are in a similar position who aren't aware. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs after everything you've been through.

No offence meant.
Thanks Craig, I've got a HNC in Business and Finance.

Company secretary is totally separate thing.

Office manager no good either, although I run my own business I have no staff or anything, plus only been doing it for a year....

Last edited by bridiej; Feb 14th 2005 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:07 am
Professional Princess

Thanks Craig, I've got a HNC in Business and Finance.

Company secretary is totally separate thing.

Office manager no good either, although I run my own business I have no staff or anything, plus only been doing it for a year....

Out of interest, what are the requirements for Company Secretary.

I own a limited company, (still very new) and my husband is Company Secretary.

I shant get excited though, have learned not to

Just interested.

Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:24 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Here I am a respectable hard working honest bloke with a wife and a couple of Kids who are both doing well at school and to be honest, life ain't so bad.
but I can't stand the way this Country is going any longer,
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:26 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Manc

Manc baby, if I make you a nice cup of tea, would you give me some born again Demi God Karma please?

Im asking those with 'the power' to get me to eleventh box status.

Go on, no point in being 'God' if you cant assist where needed

Love ya matt.

Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Out of interest, what are the requirements for Company Secretary.

I own a limited company, (still very new) and my husband is Company Secretary.

I shant get excited though, have learned not to

Just interested.
Sam - There are formal qualifications available to become a company secretary quite similar to accountancy, many company secretaries are accountants, those that find accountancy too interesting perhaps? I would have thought you would need these qualifications to get the skill points.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:00 am
blossom

I'm glad money doesnt buy you everything otherwise most of us wouldnt have the chance of a new life in Oz.

The most frustrating thing I find with the skilled visa is that secretarial qualifications dont count for anything - I've got various RSAs, NVQ II, HNC and now studying for legal and medical qualifications.

But that's life I suppose, hopefully there will be lots of secretarial vacancies and temping jobs when we get out there...

I understand how you feel, but unfortunately, if aussies are being trained to provide secretarial skills then it is always going to be difficult to apply for migration under this criteria. It was the same 25 years ago, so nothing has changed. Take heart though, once there, your skills will get you a job.

When we first migrated to Oz, we went under my husbands skills criteria, I wasn't even included in any part - but after about 2 months I got my first PA job and didn't look back.

In fact, many of my colleagues were British trained, and were considered much better trained than their Oz counterparts!

Good luck to you - I'm sure you will do fine once you are over there.

regards
Blossom

Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:07 am
aussie73

Anyone else in the same boat??

We all have one thing we are unanimous about and that is starting a new life in OZ. My wife and I are both confident we would find work when we go there.

What I do find annoying is that I am under 40, have in the region of £300k to take to OZ which would set us up nicely, yet because we haven't got a skill on the 'In demand' list, we can't quite muster enough points.

Where there's a will there's a way....blah! blah!....

I now have to go the business visa route which is risky with no guarantee that we will get PR at the end of the term. We can only buy a new build property or piece of land and build ourselves, and things like medicare etc will be hard to obtain without probably paying higher premiums because of the non PR status.

I'm not moaning as we are prepared to give it our best shot and will be going.

Just amazes me that some people get PR with no guarantee they will find work and have little or no savings to take with them.

Funny old world.

HK.
Back luck its not the 1950's and 60's back the governement was begging Poms to immigrate to OZ, even paying their fares over here and other incentives, as long as you were'nt a psychotic mass murderer or seriously disabled you were let in. They would let in a British immigrant with no skills or education or money but reject a wealthy Chinese who was a rocket scientist or brain surgeon. Nowdays there is no preference for Brits and you have to compete with everyone else in the world on equal footing.

Last edited by aussie73; Feb 14th 2005 at 6:20 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.