Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just need a bit of advice

Just need a bit of advice

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 3:33 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
jasmin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Living in Sydney and having a ball
Posts: 206
jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just need a bit of advice

Hi all,
Not posted for a while, not I think since I caused controversy by asking about the toilets seats...
anyway.....
My problem is this, we have our Visa, we got it on March 22nd.
Last month we sold our house and moved in with my parents with the view of saving hard for 6 months and going down in January after one last xmas with my folks.
We made a major faux pas last week. The money from the sale of the house was in the account and the exchange rate was going down and was around the 2.5 ish mark, we did panic I have to admit and last week we changed all our money when it briefly hit 2.61, of course if is now over 2.7 but there you go.

My Husband is getting cheesed off 'already!' with staying with the in laws and is chomping at the bit to go now.
I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get on with the rest of our lives which is sort of on hold really, although I had promised myself this close time with my Parents who are in their mid 70's and we dont know when we will see them again as they probably wont make the journey. I don't want to ever feel I should have stayed longer.
Or do we stay and save money like we said we would
The money we can save in the 6 months would be quite substantial as we both have good jobs and now no mortgage.
The sort of money that could probably sustain us with no jobs for a year in Oz.
My Husband is in IT and all the bad press about jobs is getting him even more down.
I fear we will have a divorce before we get to live the dream.
any thoughs fellow adventurers??
jasmin is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 4:28 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 21
dougp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

I know how you feel. I'm in the same situation with my parents in their 70s and probably not going to be able to make the journey to Oz. You don't say if you have kids as well - we're "stealing" their two grandchildren when we eventually get to go, which is making things doubly difficult.

I was going to write a nice long, reasoned reply, but it boils down to ... GO!

You have to make the break sometime, and if you're anything like us you've waited too long already. Even if your parents can't travel, there's nothing to stop you coming back for a holiday and a late Xmas during next year (put some of the house proceeds aside now) after you're settled.

I can't imagine (and don't intend to experience) the stress of waiting an extra 6 months after everything's in place

As for the money? If you stay another 2 years you'll have loads of money - but you still won't have your new life.

Just my (frustrated) opinion - good luck.

-----
Disclaimer: I'm usually wrong.
dougp is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 5:36 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 116
britbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Dear Jasmin
We also have our visas and have decided to go at the end of August.
We debated about the money. We sold our house last November and wish we'd waited as the market is now very bouyent.
Then we thought about changing the money up and hit the same problem as you.
Then my Dad was taken to hospital with chest pains. Stuff will happen what or where ever you are.
All I can say is GO.
If my children were putting off the rest of their future for my sake, I would urge them to go wouldn't you?
Britbird
britbird is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 6:20 pm
  #4  
Rob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

In <[email protected]> jasmin wrote:

    >The money from the sale of the house was in the account and the exchange rate was
    >going down and was around the 2.5 ish mark, we did panic I have to admit and last
    >week we changed all our money when it briefly hit 2.61, of course if is now over 2.7
    >but there you go.

When I last looked, the interest rates on AUS$ savings were better than for UK£. What
you lose on the exchange rate you might make up by earning extra interest.

If you put the money in an offshore account, close the account a day or three before
you reach Oz and then there will be no tax on the interest. Technically, the UK
taxman might want to tax the interest, but if you and the money are in Oz, there's
little chance he'll come after you.
 
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 6:55 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
rday's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 359
rday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

my 2.7 cents worth.

save up your money for a calculated time,ie what u need to live on jobless for 6 months,buy your plane ticket in advance now.

as far as xmas goes,have an early one if needs be,october,april ,it dont matter,decorations,turkey,tree the lot,a special one,
dont hang on too long as every month u wait,is a month less in your new life.
rday
rday is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
  #6  
Jaj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Hi Jasmin It's something you're going to have to work out between you - hopefully
you'll manage to do so.

On other option might be to rent a house or apartment close to your parents
(rather than living with them) for the time between now and Christmas, and go to
Australia then.

Jeremy

    >On 3 Jul 2002 16:20:30 GMT, jasmin <[email protected]> wrote: Hi all, Not
    >posted for a while, not I think since I caused controversy by asking about the
    >toilets seats... anyway..... My problem is this, we have our Visa, we got it on
    >March 22nd. Last month we sold our house and moved in with my parents with the view
    >of saving hard for 6 months and going down in January after one last xmas with my
    >folks. We made a major faux pas last week. The money from the sale of the house was
    >in the account and the exchange rate was going down and was around the 2.5 ish mark,
    >we did panic I have to admit and last week we changed all our money when it briefly
    >hit 2.61, of course if is now over 2.7 but there you go.
    >
    >My Husband is getting cheesed off 'already!' with staying with the in laws and is
    >chomping at the bit to go now. I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get on
    >with the rest of our lives which is sort of on hold really, although I had promised
    >myself this close time with my Parents who are in their mid 70's and we dont know
    >when we will see them again as they probably wont make the journey. I don't want to
    >ever feel I should have stayed longer. Or do we stay and save money like we said we
    >would The money we can save in the 6 months would be quite substantial as we both
    >have good jobs and now no mortgage. The sort of money that could probably sustain us
    >with no jobs for a year in Oz. My Husband is in IT and all the bad press about jobs
    >is getting him even more down. I fear we will have a divorce before we get to live
    >the dream. any thoughs fellow adventurers??
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 11:07 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
tipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: ex stalybrige-now-mullaloo
Posts: 278
tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

hi jasmin, your worried about see through bog seats and having a visa in your passport i think you need to go on kilroy silk or vanessa ie agony aunt. that thread lasted far to long !
why go this far when us lot who havent got a visa yet would jump at the chance. and would like some good information ie when is skilled team 1 going to pass me.
then ill think of leaving my gran who is 99 years old this sept.
go for it your a long time dead.
yours tipper.
tipper is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2002, 12:18 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
shaun/lor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: geelong, vic. forever
Posts: 634
shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

just remember last xmas and have a big leaving party. sooooon
or else you will continue to look at the negatives that happen. especially if your not happy living with perants, also bear in mind some areas of oz have had as much as 40 or so % house price increases in the last year, so dont get cought too long on that one if you dont have too.
all the best whatever you choose shaun
shaun/lor is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2002, 1:20 am
  #9  
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

jasmin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get on with the rest of our lives
    > which is sort of on hold really?

Hi Jasmin,

Personally I'd say go - we waited an extra 6 months (in our own place) just to have
Xmas with my in-laws before we left and afterwards wished we hadn't. The excitment of
getting the visa had kinda worn thin a bit and Xmas was a bit depressing as everyone
was aware that we were leaving in the 1st week of January.

In general, January is not a good time to immigrate to Australia. Coming from the UK
with temperatures about 0 C to Oz which will be 30-40 C depending on where you want
to settle. If you wish to come to QLD it will it feel very hot and very humid. Also,
if you are going to rent landlords try to pump up the rental prices of properties
especially those that are modern/and or have air-conditioning.

I know it's not the same as face-to-face, but you can keep up regular contact via
email. In addition to sending photos, mostly hard-copy but also electronically, we
have a video camera and often transfer good bits to tape and send it to the UK so
they don't feel as if they're missing out on our lives (especially the
grandchildren's lives as they grow up).

Good luck with your decision (& you are making the right move). AndyH.

jasmin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get on with the rest of our lives
    > which is sort of on hold really?
 
Old Jul 4th 2002, 7:53 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
jasmin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Living in Sydney and having a ball
Posts: 206
jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Thanks all fro your comments
We have no children, which is another reason why we are keen to go sooner. We are both 35 and i suppose 6 months on the biological clock now is not too good.
The comment about better interest in a $ account is a good one and yes we have done that.
I will let you all know what we decide.
Jas x
p.s. I am sorry for whinging when all some people want to just to get their visa... its a bit like stage fright though!!
jasmin is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2002, 8:03 am
  #11  
Came Back 2003
 
heading downunder 2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Home & Settled
Posts: 659
heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Hi Jasmin,

I know what it is like to leave elderly parents. My parents are both in their 80's and don't want us to go. They won't visit us but wouldn't have done if they had been in their 50's.

There will always be a last time that I see them whether I lived next door or on the other side of the world. Living with them for 6 months although its a bit of quality time for you, you are also probably making it more difficult for when you finally do go, both for you and your parents, they will have got used to having you around.

We are hoping to go end of September so as to give ourselves plenty of time to get settled before Christmas and the hot weather arrives.

Hope all goes well for you both and remember there are a lot of us in the same boat and know what you are going through, thats why I wish I could just go now and get it over with.

Susan
heading downunder 2002 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2002, 8:52 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Finch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: City Beach, WA
Posts: 88
Finch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Hi Jasmin

I told my parents last week, not easy at all. They have 3 grandchildren so the guilt about taking them away is difficult to live with, but I'd rather be a "Ive done it" than a "I'd wish I'd have done that". (this was the second time, see earlier post, as I've done this all before, must be insane!). My parents are in their 60's, my Dad is up for it big time, Mum doesn't like the hassle of the flight but will come. We hope to buy a place with an annex so that they can come over for 3 months or so when they want, also good for when my brother or sister or friends come over which believe me will want to come and see you even before you arrive!.

We are going in Jan, coz we have kids and the school year starts in early Feb.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Finch
Finch is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2002, 7:20 am
  #13  
Richard Plim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

in article [email protected], jasmin at [email protected] wrote on
7/4/02 2:20:

    > I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get on with the rest of our lives
    > which is sort of on hold really, although I had promised myself this close time
    > with my Parents who are in their mid 70's and we dont know when we will see them
    > again as they probably wont make the journey. I don't want to ever feel I should
    > have stayed longer. Or do we stay and save money like we said we would The money we
    > can save in the 6 months would be quite substantial as we both have good jobs and
    > now no mortgage. The sort of money that could probably sustain us with no jobs for
    > a year in Oz. My Husband is in IT and all the bad press about jobs is getting him
    > even more down. I fear we will have a divorce before we get to live the dream. any
    > thoughs fellow adventurers??

You'll make a perfect Australian. Completely unable to make a decision.
 
Old Jul 5th 2002, 7:20 am
  #14  
Robert Edwards
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

I don't think those type of comments are accurate or warranted.......certainly not
constructive. "Richard Plim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:B94B79E5.156DB%[email protected]...
    > in article [email protected], jasmin at
[email protected]
 
Old Jul 5th 2002, 11:20 pm
  #15  
Hills
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Just need a bit of advice

Why don't you send your husband out now? He can find a good job, check out the place
for some nice areas to live, and generally make himself useful in Aus getting things
prepared for your arrival. Then you and the kids, after spending quality time with
the grans, can arrive in Aus to a comfy home set up. You might not last until January
as planned, but you could spend a bit more time with your parents without an 'itching
to leave' husband getting grumpy.

Leaving more than a few pounds in a UK bank account is a great idea. We did that, and
it saved us this year when we needed a 'visit the family' holiday, and the house
renovations in Aus had been chewing up all our money.... and the exchange rate was
around 36p for the dollar... LJ

jasmin wrote:

    > Hi all, Not posted for a while, not I think since I caused controversy by asking
    > about the toilets seats... anyway..... My problem is this, we have our Visa, we got
    > it on March 22nd. Last month we sold our house and moved in with my parents with
    > the view of saving hard for 6 months and going down in January after one last xmas
    > with my folks. We made a major faux pas last week. The money from the sale of the
    > house was in the account and the exchange rate was going down and was around the
    > 2.5 ish mark, we did panic I have to admit and last week we changed all our money
    > when it briefly hit 2.61, of course if is now over 2.7 but there you go.
    >
    > My Husband is getting cheesed off 'already!' with staying with the in laws and is
    > chomping at the bit to go now. I suppose the main choice is, do we go now and get
    > on with the rest of our lives which is sort of on hold really, although I had
    > promised myself this close time with my Parents who are in their mid 70's and we
    > dont know when we will see them again as they probably wont make the journey. I
    > don't want to ever feel I should have stayed longer. Or do we stay and save money
    > like we said we would The money we can save in the 6 months would be quite
    > substantial as we both have good jobs and now no mortgage. The sort of money that
    > could probably sustain us with no jobs for a year in Oz. My Husband is in IT and
    > all the bad press about jobs is getting him even more down. I fear we will have a
    > divorce before we get to live the dream. any thoughs fellow adventurers??
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.