Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are there a lot of God Squad in Adelaide?

Is it just me or are there a lot of God Squad in Adelaide?

Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me or are there a lot of God Squad in Adelaide?

"The city of Churches" is an old label, going back to when Adelaide was considered to have more religious freedom than most other places and as such many small independent religious groups set up churches.

It is not really the case any more and it has been shown that there are actually more pubs than churches. It is not a label which benefits Adelaide in any way (especially in tourism) and is often perpetuated by the other states as a put down to the city. (quoting my tutor here!)

But in answer to your question, yes we have found religion to be much more of a prevalent thing than in the UK.

Nikki
x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:14 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linloo
I actually used to get a lot in Lossiemouth, where we used to live in Scotland I used to invite them in and then bore them to death on my un-educated views, they stopped coming after a while Explained i was divorced, living in sin enjoyed my drink to much and could never be relied on on a Sunday morning
Lossiemouth ,blimey havent heard that place mentioned for years and years ,i lived in elgin for a few years when i was a kid over 30 years ago .Love that part of the world .
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mysnix
"The city of Churches" is an old label, going back to when Adelaide was considered to have more religious freedom than most other places and as such many small independent religious groups set up churches.

It is not really the case any more and it has been shown that there are actually more pubs than churches. It is not a label which benefits Adelaide in any way (especially in tourism) and is often perpetuated by the other states as a put down to the city. (quoting my tutor here!)

But in answer to your question, yes we have found religion to be much more of a prevalent thing than in the UK.

Nikki
x
Absolutely.

I was talking to my driving instructor today, he was born in QLD and has lived in every city in Australia and he say's that Adelaide is the best place to live in Australia. I reckon he's right.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There is a small Mormon crowd over in Narre Warren, Melbourne. Not only it is home to Australia's sprawling new suburbia, and Fountain Gate, now this.

We got avoided to a gig there - I know I know - and I had to stand up and introduce my family. My little joke about Alcoholics Anonymous was received in diplomatic silence....and the buggers still tried to recruit me.

Back in the Uk, c. 1989 I do remember entertaining one JW couple. But her daughter did have extremely nice assets and there's something about attractive girls who go to church. Cos most aren't that saintly.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know I've posted this before, but out west of Brisbane, near Toowoomba, they like the enormous God-Squad billboards. There's a whole row of them:

"Jesus Saves"
"Repent now"
"God loves you"
"Lettuce 9 cents"

NOOOOO! That's where I might end up going!!!! God, Jesus, Sh*****t!!

I'm soooooo gonna push for Brisbane now when the hospitals contact me!

I can cope with the 9c lettuces tho
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Back in the Uk, c. 1989 I do remember entertaining one JW couple. But her daughter did have extremely nice assets and there's something about attractive girls who go to church. Cos most aren't that saintly.
PMSL!!! Love your work
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Two words - JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

I have to hide when someone knocks at the door as there is this Italian lady that thinks I need 'reforming'

I've not met any other form of religious nutter, just them
Wendy, the Jehovah's carry little books with them. In them are the addresses which they are NOT to visit. So when I lived in Adelaide I 'phoned their head place...it is in the 'phone book...and asked them politely to add my address to the 'do not go to this address' books. They never bothered me after that, it really works
On our front door here, we have a sign which says ' Do not ring the bell if you are selling anything or preaching'
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oz-ace
Adelaide city of churches, the most boring place in the western world, except for all those sadistic axe murding serial killing cases they have over there.
And you live....?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

Someone I know (not in Adelaide though) is totally blind, and is an atheist. She's also extremely intelligent, and intolerant of fools. Well, religious people seem to target her: in fact they often target people who have a 'handicap'. She sends them off on their way with a few choice words, deriding their forecast of her becoming 'whole' in the next life or some such claptrap. One of them said she was endangering her immortal soul through her anti- faith attitude, to which she replied that she was an organic being and doesn't have one - she has a well-functioning brain instead!!

But...being blind she cops more of this sort of thing than others - perhaps wheelies have the same problem, I don't know. The answer is to simply refuse to co-operate with anyone trying to sell you a religion or a church. Stop them in their tracks before they get a full head of steam!!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Jehovah's Witnesses only believe that 40'000 people will get into heaven.

Why oh why oh why oh why, do they insist on trying to convert us then, isn't it ruining their chances of going through the Pearly Gates?????????

Croc
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

When we went to beach in Manly , we asked a sufer to take a photo of us and the children (as you do). He was chatting away, me & OH are thinking what a great guy , telling us loads of info about Manly and then he just dropped it in
" I am from the church up the road, come join us, what religion are you?"My OH was like B****y Bible Bashers, wondered why he was being so nice.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Now before you all give it "Well it is the city of Churches" line, I know I know I know, but we been going just fine met so many great people (and just the one AWFUL one!!) our social lives never been so good and infact our lives full stop never been so good!!

BUT recently seems we have meet a few newies just in every day life and they all seem to like this Paradise Church thing?? Guy Sabastian, I have no idea who he is but apparently won pop idol or something a while back is also a member and it is a common old thing for ozzies to be in to!!

Now in our house the G.O.D word isnt used that much, (no offence to those that do the whole religion thing) and I have no objection to those that go down that line, BUT they do all seem a little bit to Happy Clappy to me!!

Just wondered if others had come across this or if they were just targetting us to join the Happy Clapping Club!!
Must be a Greenwith thing,,,?......Just do what i do set the dogs on themthey never come back.........mm
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:18 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If belonging to a church or being religious makes you a nicer person and increases your happiness, then go for it.

I am an atheist, not agnostic... Atheistic, completely utterly and irreversibly!

One could say that how can you live your life when there is nothing to look forward to at the end... All I can say is I'm looking forward to a very nice dinner and a glass of good wine... it's enough for me!

I have recently found my best weapon yet in the doorstep battle for conversion... Richard Dawkins book, the God Delusion! Fabulously written, well reasoned and infuriatingly logical!

I ask them to go away, read the book and come up with valid arguments that would change my mind based on the arguments set out in the book!

I have to say that it's been my most successful way of dealing with these 'God Botherers!'

Ali x
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Wendy, the Jehovah's carry little books with them. In them are the addresses which they are NOT to visit. So when I lived in Adelaide I 'phoned their head place...it is in the 'phone book...and asked them politely to add my address to the 'do not go to this address' books. They never bothered me after that, it really works
On our front door here, we have a sign which says ' Do not ring the bell if you are selling anything or preaching'
I might try that - I'll get my OH to do it
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
I might try that - I'll get my OH to do it

They were really polite when I asked them Wendy ...and should they not check their book when they come knocking then just ask them to and if it isn't in they will put it in
My former sister-in-law in Morphett Vale simply said "I'm a spiritualist"...and off they went

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.