Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or is it stupidly difficult to get a job on Temp Residency status?!

Is it just me or is it stupidly difficult to get a job on Temp Residency status?!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:50 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me or is it stupidly difficult to get a job on Temp Residency status?!

Its difficult to get a Job full stop ...Everyone said so on these forums for ages. Granted if you have a very marketable skill your good otherwise its not easy.

Add this to the fact you cant prove your right to work its a huge shackle.

Somewhere someone got the idea the streets of Australia are lined with cushy well paid Jobs there not they are lined with red tape.

Hang in there and keep trying, for those of you on the way bring a war fund to keep you going till you find a job.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it just me or is it stupidly difficult to get a job on Temp Residency status?!

Originally Posted by nina25
I moved to Melbourne in Oct and have been trying to find a job, not to much success. I know Dec/Jan are slow times over here and to be honest it was great to have a bit of a break but now I really want to work! (never ever thought I'd say that!)

I've signed up with loads of agencies and even applied directly to employers but unfortunately as I'm not a PR or Citizen they aren't interested. I worked in Insurance at home.

I would quite happily change career and work in a bar or as a waitress but as I have no experience of this that isn't much good either!

I'm sure this is just a tempory thing but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this? Or will I be jobless until I get PR in about 2 years?! By which time I would have gone mad lol

Thanks

Nina

Are you looking for temp work also? I would as it may turn into something permanent. I had trouble finding work to start with on a permanent visa as some companies were wary that I would get home sick and would want to go back to the UK after being employed for a few months. I ended up finding temp work which became permanent.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:20 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 5 year temporary visa, (with NO pathway to PR) but I managed to get a permanent job with a large company, very easily.

So it can be done - best of luck in your search
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Nina,

Don't give up hope on this one, regardless of what posts you read about difficulties of obtaining work.

I am a secondary applicant on a 457 visa and I also worked for a large medical insurer back in the UK before I left for Adelaide.

I've been here 7 weeks and I start working for another big insurer in 2 weeks on a maternity leave contract. Its only 12 months max but could lead to permanancy should I do a good job. I also explained to them both me and my partner will be applying for PR.

Mainly though its the aussie experience I want for my resume albeit I would like this job to be permanent however. But once you have aussie experience then it will open up a few more doors for you.

Tip: use seek.com.au and look under temp and perm work whereby you apply DIRECT with the employer. There are some that still do interviewing in-house for themselves, particularly big companys. Sometimes you are right the agency like any other is there to vet you first. (They do their jobs well). But don't give up on agencies either. Temp work is better than no work.

Also..I know of loads of overseas students who are working and as you might know they are technically temporary visitors to WITH work restrictions.

good luck to you!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

nina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you to everyone for your good advise and kind words, it's great to come on here and talk to people who understand what it's like and who are going through the same process

I have checked out loads of the websites and applied for temp and perm work, so fingers crossed! Going a bit square eyed from the computer now lol. I'm also going to print off a load of C.Vs and cover letters and take them round the local shopping centres.

I have done quite a bit of travelling, living in the USA for a year, then off to uni, then Oz after my degree, compared to people my age I perhaps have not had a lot of 'solid' office/work experience, maybe that goes against my applications who knows. I wouldn't trade my time abroad or degree for anything tho. One agency even said I was over qualified for data entry work and would find it boring, I was like no! nothing is more boring than being at home!

I never once assumed or looked at Oz through rose coloured glasses, I knew it would be a challenge and a life changing experience, that's partly why I did it. I was in Sydney on a WHV previously and managed to get contract and temp work without too much of a problem (Jan/Feb being a little slow due to the summer hols) but also knew that although I love Oz, just because u move countries doesn't mean that everything will be perfect.

I guess at the mo it feels overwhelming as there is the visa to sort out, need to find a house, a job, oh and some friends as I know no-one here (lonely, so lonely lol).

Anyways enough of my babbling, I hope everyone has a great weekend and fab Australia day, with lots of light beverages!

Nina

xx
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nina25
Thank you to everyone for your good advise and kind words, it's great to come on here and talk to people who understand what it's like and who are going through the same process

I have checked out loads of the websites and applied for temp and perm work, so fingers crossed! Going a bit square eyed from the computer now lol. I'm also going to print off a load of C.Vs and cover letters and take them round the local shopping centres.

I have done quite a bit of travelling, living in the USA for a year, then off to uni, then Oz after my degree, compared to people my age I perhaps have not had a lot of 'solid' office/work experience, maybe that goes against my applications who knows. I wouldn't trade my time abroad or degree for anything tho. One agency even said I was over qualified for data entry work and would find it boring, I was like no! nothing is more boring than being at home!

I never once assumed or looked at Oz through rose coloured glasses, I knew it would be a challenge and a life changing experience, that's partly why I did it. I was in Sydney on a WHV previously and managed to get contract and temp work without too much of a problem (Jan/Feb being a little slow due to the summer hols) but also knew that although I love Oz, just because u move countries doesn't mean that everything will be perfect.

I guess at the mo it feels overwhelming as there is the visa to sort out, need to find a house, a job, oh and some friends as I know no-one here (lonely, so lonely lol).

Anyways enough of my babbling, I hope everyone has a great weekend and fab Australia day, with lots of light beverages!

Nina

xx
Aww I'm sure you'll make friends soon enough. Me and my partner have made some friends in only 7 weeks as Adelaide is a lovely place.

So if you get fed up of Melbourne, come to Adelaide we'll give you a goo welcome and you will have two mates right here if needed, we're both early 30's and still young at heart! LOL!

Best wishes!

Jamie & Carrie
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

nina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the roughnina25 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you that's really lovely of u, likewise if u guys ever visit melbourne let me know.

My husband and I had a brief stop in Adelaide last year on our way back from Kangaroo Island (which I totally recommend) and it seemed really nice, very friendly.

Ha ha I'm 26 and fighting to be young at heart lol. I'm sure it'll all work out, I know I just need to give it time.

Nina
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

I was hoping some of you could direct me in the right direction.

I arrived about couple of weeks ago and looking for work in HR. I am not sure where to find out who I cannot work for...ie govt etc.

I understood that I cannot work for govt so I have informed the Recruitment co about it, though after reading this I am not sure I have done the right thing...

I also have an interview with a non profit org who is funded by govt, but I have told them since they are not govt org I am sure I can work for them.

If I land a job what has to happen before I can actually join? Can I join straightaway?

Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy
I was hoping some of you could direct me in the right direction.

I arrived about couple of weeks ago and looking for work in HR. I am not sure where to find out who I cannot work for...ie govt etc.

I understood that I cannot work for govt so I have informed the Recruitment co about it, though after reading this I am not sure I have done the right thing...

I also have an interview with a non profit org who is funded by govt, but I have told them since they are not govt org I am sure I can work for them.

If I land a job what has to happen before I can actually join? Can I join straightaway?

Thanks for any info.
Any job which has residency requirements will state them in the adverts and on websites. In Qld you can work or the govt on a temp visa, but only in temp jobs. Have a look on the Victorian Govt job site and see what they say
And if you are paying an agency to find you a position they should be accustomed to looking at residency requirements so get them to check for each position.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 3rd 2009 at 3:13 am. Reason: link
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived, I was on a sponsored work visa and H was on the same temp visa with no job restrictions.

Strangely enough he worked in insurance, and took a 2 week post with an agency, which became 18 months. After that he had several long term posts which were meant to be 2-4wks.

One thing I do know is that insurance industry here has been through huge cuts.... a friend of ours (Aus by birth, worked in insurance always) took 4 months to get an appalling paid job after being laid off.
Still she is improving her circs now- sometimes you just have to accept anything to get a foot in the door.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey this is an old thread - I've been working 6 months.

Yep, Pol is right - the agency should be aware of the requirements, and ads should state them, but IME sometimes it's not obvious until you get to the application form if there is one. That said, you should soon get a feel for what is likely to be restricted.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

i did not even notice the date!

Someone has obviously ressurected it from the archives!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:28 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well we do always tell people to search the archives before posting yet another thread about the same subject
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pomster
i did not even notice the date!

Someone has obviously ressurected it from the archives!
You call that an archive.. I tried to revive an old 2005 one of mine.... but it wouldn't

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You call that an archive.. I tried to revive an old 2005 one of mine.... but it wouldn't
They are locked automatically after 2 years. You should still be able to link to it though.......