Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

Old May 26th 2008, 1:05 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

Can't believe the crap I read in papers and see on TV. 6000 fines cancelled in the Lane Cove tunnel to try and protect a state deputy? WTF? The Housing minister ends up being one of the worst landlords in the land etc etc!! I read the local rag and the comments from the councilors and MPs sound more like a bloody working mens club committee.
I like it here but some of the political management is crap!
Not saying the UK is perfect of course!!
Old May 26th 2008, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

Your correct, they are amateurish, I blame the 3 tier government system myself.

Although paradoxically Australia did produce one of the best parliamentary performer of all time in Paul Keating, I would have loved to have seen him in Westminster, he would have rocked their world.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

I felt the same when I first arrived. You mellow to it after time. When Tony Blair was in Canberra he definitely put the locals in the shade.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is it just me or does Australian politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?

Is it just me or does British politics seem amateurish and very very corrupt?
Spoilt for choice, really.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

stephendutchman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by paddyo
Can't believe the crap I read in papers and see on TV. 6000 fines cancelled in the Lane Cove tunnel to try and protect a state deputy? WTF? The Housing minister ends up being one of the worst landlords in the land etc etc!! I read the local rag and the comments from the councilors and MPs sound more like a bloody working mens club committee.
fair dinkum sticky fingers they all have ,chill out .if you cant beat em ?
Old May 26th 2008, 2:29 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I did say the UK system wasn't much better!!
Old May 26th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

oldhampom is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just me or are all politicians, from whatever country, untrustworthy self serving toss*rs
Old May 26th 2008, 3:43 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oldhampom
Is it just me or are all politicians, from whatever country, untrustworthy self serving toss*rs
No - it's not just you!
Old May 26th 2008, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
I reckon it's about the same. The difference is that the sub-national politics in Aus is more visible than the sub-national politics in the UK. The new assemblies in the UK have increased the visibility a little but as they are less powerful than their Aussie state counterparts, they still attract less attention from the public and the media. Remember they've just elected Boris Johnson to the London Assembly who comes across, in public and on HIGNFY, as extremely amateurish (but may do well if his advisors can keep him under control).

Note to ozzieeagle. The UK has 3-tier (and sometimes 4-tier) government as well and it's as bad as here (as Vash has highlighted).

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 26th 2008 at 11:37 pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not just you.

The NSW political scene in particular is nauseating, with corruption and pork barrelling being the norm, let alone pure fraud.

Yes, there are similar things in the UK - and everywhere - but the sheer scale and general acceptance of it in Australia is breathtaking.

(How do you spell it: Labour or Labor....)
Old May 27th 2008, 12:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
No, it's not just you.

The NSW political scene in particular is nauseating, with corruption and pork barrelling being the norm, let alone pure fraud.

Yes, there are similar things in the UK - and everywhere - but the sheer scale and general acceptance of it in Australia is breathtaking.

(How do you spell it: Labour or Labor....)
The party is called Labor.

I agree that the NSW government does seem amateurish compared to the Vic government. (And I'm not saying the Vic government is perfect.)

If the original question had been about the NSW government only then I would have said "Yes".
Old May 27th 2008, 2:15 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

I still cant get over that the NSW government PAID the Lane Cove tunnel company tens of millions of dollars in compensation to delay Epping Road configuration changes until after the election (something similar was also done on the Cross City tunnel).

No-one seems to care that the local government is paying tax payers money to a private company to help its re-election chances.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by stevemich
I still cant get over that the NSW government PAID the Lane Cove tunnel company tens of millions of dollars in compensation to delay Epping Road configuration changes until after the election (something similar was also done on the Cross City tunnel).

No-one seems to care that the local government is paying tax payers money to a private company to help its re-election chances.
Yes, on reflection I probably should change my topic header to read 'is it just me or is the NSW government so visibly corrupt and amateurish and run like an old boys club?'
Old May 27th 2008, 3:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich

Yes, and the way that Michael Costa carried on at the party vote over NSW electricity privatisation just reeked of amateurism at least bullying at worst. At the height of any UK political crisis, I can't imagine an elected official publicly swearing at colleagues like he did.

The NSW government really does appear to be just a load of thugs and bullys, with massive vested interests in big business.

S
Old May 27th 2008, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can change it if you like

Originally Posted by oldhampom
Totally agree. I think they start out with the right intentions - local councillors wanting to make their local streets nicer etc but then they get a bit of power and want more until finally the power corrupts and they are doing all the damage they wanted to prevent in the first place. That was a bit deep, maybe I'm coming down with something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.