Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just a lttle warning.

Just a lttle warning.

Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Just a lttle warning.

Afriend of mine came into work this week to say her dog had been bitten by a brown snake. The dog was rushed to the vets and $2800 later he was given an 80% chance of pulling through. Top tip . Insure your pets!!!
Angela
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a lttle warning.

Originally Posted by Cookster
Afriend of mine came into work this week to say her dog had been bitten by a brown snake. The dog was rushed to the vets and $2800 later he was given an 80% chance of pulling through. Top tip . Insure your pets!!!
Angela
I have been in touch with Pet Plan Australia who have agreed to insure my cat as soon as he lands and goes to Quarantine.

He wont be covered for illness for the first 21 days but will be for accidents - which is something.

I firmly believe in pet insurance and want him covered ASAP. When one of my cats got pancreatic cancer, the bill was £900 and I only paid about £120 or something like that, I would not have managed had it not been for my insurance.

Many people have said to me that they resented insurance as they had their pet for 10 years and never claimed.

But I have house insurance but I dont want to be burgled - its about peace of mind.

You can put by the tenner a month you would pay for insurance and save it in the bank but one operation these days can cost over a grand. Thats not to mention the public liability if you have a dog and it bites someone or causes an accident.

I shall sort out Gordon's policy probably next week and Petplan said that they will start his cover the moment he lands on Aussie soil.

Veterinary medicine is so very expensive and I for one, like the reassurance of pet insurance and have heard pretty good things about Pet Plan.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:18 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Every responsible pet owner should insure their pets... unless you can afford to shell out substantial amounts of money at the drop of a hat...

We have always had pet insurance and we have claimed regularly....

Our first Weimaraner... had a rare form of cancer... she had x rays, and MRI scan, blood tests, Radiotherapy and chemotherapy... the bill was almost £5000 for the vets... When her time came the insurance paid to have her euthanised and then sent me a cheque for the price I paid for her....

Total bill £5780..... I paid the first £50 that was it.... Yes, she died in the end, but I know that I did everything I could to save her and money didn't enter into the equation...

All of this cost me was 3 years of £12 per month...

Ali x
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have been in touch with Pet Plan Australia who have agreed to insure my cat as soon as he lands and goes to Quarantine.

He wont be covered for illness for the first 21 days but will be for accidents - which is something.

I firmly believe in pet insurance and want him covered ASAP. When one of my cats got pancreatic cancer, the bill was £900 and I only paid about £120 or something like that, I would not have managed had it not been for my insurance.

Many people have said to me that they resented insurance as they had their pet for 10 years and never claimed.

But I have house insurance but I dont want to be burgled - its about peace of mind.

You can put by the tenner a month you would pay for insurance and save it in the bank but one operation these days can cost over a grand. Thats not to mention the public liability if you have a dog and it bites someone or causes an accident.

I shall sort out Gordon's policy probably next week and Petplan said that they will start his cover the moment he lands on Aussie soil.

Veterinary medicine is so very expensive and I for one, like the reassurance of pet insurance and have heard pretty good things about Pet Plan.
I thought I was the only person in the world to have a cat called Gordon!!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Hey pp do you have a web link i can use for petplan or do we have to be there before starting it?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:16 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dandan1
I thought I was the only person in the world to have a cat called Gordon!!
Oh my God, that is brilliant! You are serious, his name is Gordon? What colour is he, tell me about him

Originally Posted by mum01753
Hey pp do you have a web link i can use for petplan or do we have to be there before starting it?

The site is www.petplan.com.au

I am waiting to hear back from them about how I go about starting it. They have emailed me the forms to fill in already to fax to them.

You can pay monthly or yearly but I have asked if I can pay 2 months up front until I validate my Aussie bank account.

I will let you know as soon as I know.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Angela
Hiya Cookster,

Speaking of dogs, my chocolate lab has been limping recently, turn out he has got an elbow problem and I have to book him in for keyhole surgeory.

The bill currently stands at £1400, waiting for the insurance to send me the forms !!

Donna.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for reminding me why I don't have pets.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:58 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Angela
Yeah, I had a Jack Russell that was killed by a brown snake a few years back ...... he killed the snake though!!

He used to kill them all the time but this one obviously got a bite on him at some point!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;5932652]Oh my God, that is brilliant! You are serious, his name is Gordon? What colour is he, tell me about him

His name really is Gordon!!
He's gorgeous! Black with white tummy, white paws and a very distinctive white stripe down the centre of his nose.What about yours?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:54 am

[QUOTE=dandan1;5935804]
Oh my God, that is brilliant! You are serious, his name is Gordon? What colour is he, tell me about him

His name really is Gordon!!
He's gorgeous! Black with white tummy, white paws and a very distinctive white stripe down the centre of his nose.What about yours?
My Gordon will be 6 years old on April 9th, he weighs 6.45kgs, is a very long cat and is ginger.

I've told my husband about your Gordon
Attached Thumbnails Just a lttle warning.-3247.jpg  
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

aussiedude will become famous soon enough

I have my dogs insured with Petplan insurance in the UK and they won't transfer to the Australian Petplan as they are franchised so all those years of paying money into Petplan and I get nothing in return and we have never claimed, talk about no customer loyalty surely the underwriters could have come up with a package.

Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard good things about pet plan also.
To be honest though, when I read our old policy (not with pet plan) there were so many exclusions that I thought we were better to just save the money and spend it as required.
I know operations can be really expensive, but in all honesty if my dog was diagnosed with cancer I would probably pay for anti-inflammatories and pain killers and then have him put down when it got too much. I wouldn't be shelling out thousands for chemo. In my opinion, chemotherapy is for people. (Unless you have tonnes of money, in which case clearly you could afford to do whatever you wanted!)
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:21 am

Im going to insure Gordon, Ive had an email back saying to fill in the forms and send payment within a certain time.

They dont take UK debit cards but said that they will take a couple of cheques till our bank account is sorted.

I shall do the forms tonight.