Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just left work an hour early by mistake!

Just left work an hour early by mistake!

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 7:30 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Just left work an hour early by mistake!

Yes, I think I am going mad. I was playing around with my computer at work adjusting the clock settings this morning, and I must have set it an hour fast. Anyhow, I have just realised I have left work an hour early without informing anyone by mistake! I was have a lovely time at home, swimming in our pool and walking the dogs. I passed a wall clock and noticed it was 5pm....I was met to have been working till 5pm! Its the worse feeling if anybody has ever done it - I feel like I am in trouble at school! Like one of those nightmares where you have an exam the next day you haven't studied for. Anyhow, I called work and told the receptionist some story about my burgler alarm going off and having to rush home and she was just laughing as if she didn't believe me!

So my first decent Aussie job and I have screwed up big time, I am a bit nervous of going in tomorrow! Blimey I must be going mad in the Queensland heat!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just left work an hour early by mistake!

Let us know how you go on when you get back to work tomorrow!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 7:54 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joninoxford
Yes, I think I am going mad. I was playing around with my computer at work adjusting the clock settings this morning, and I must have set it an hour fast. Anyhow, I have just realised I have left work an hour early without informing anyone by mistake! I was have a lovely time at home, swimming in our pool and walking the dogs. I passed a wall clock and noticed it was 5pm....I was met to have been working till 5pm! Its the worse feeling if anybody has ever done it - I feel like I am in trouble at school! Like one of those nightmares where you have an exam the next day you haven't studied for. Anyhow, I called work and told the receptionist some story about my burgler alarm going off and having to rush home and she was just laughing as if she didn't believe me!

So my first decent Aussie job and I have screwed up big time, I am a bit nervous of going in tomorrow! Blimey I must be going mad in the Queensland heat!
You must have a right hitler as a boss. If it's going to cause a big problem why don't you get in an hour earlier in the morning make up the time then.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joninoxford

That is the funniest thing I have heard in such a long time!!! What a riot! I am sure if you tell your boss the truth he'll laugh so hard he'll forgive you!

And it is possible to lose it in the eat and humidity. We Ozzies have a phrase for it...it's called going troppo. That sounds like a valid excuse as well!

I'm sure though you'll be fine tomorrow. Nice little cover up dodge with the receptionist!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:09 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Tell him you thought that Queensland had gone to summer time.

Play dumb Brit
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:06 pm
Cheeky

Look on the bright side.......it could have been worse..........

It could have ended up the other way round and you working an extra hour!!!

Anyway....... you never know, just dont say anything and with a bit of luck they might not have even noticed you missing!!!

Cheeky!!