Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Old May 4th 2005, 3:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Mine was for sale but took it off the market a couple of weeks ago.

Have decided not to migrate for a while as we can earn far more here and then retire in a couple of years.

Will probably keep our property in the UK and rent it out.

Fortunately we do not need the money to migrate with.

Also, as we are planning to retire we do not want to burn our boats.

We did, however, have several viewers and some interested so would probably have sold fairly soon.

Our property is a Peak district cottage so not many around.

Good luck

G
Old May 4th 2005, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

odaat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveyp
I am intrigued Odaat, you are obviously banking on a significant falling market in the UK for 2-3 years. Since you are liquidating your properties in Perth, what do you personally predict happening to the Perth market over the same period?
Steveyp,
Perth has always been the ideal place to buy more house than money, added bonus of quality of life, great beaches, good schools, good healthcare and cheaper flights to Europe / pacific rim.

In fact house prices in Perth have remained consistently stable while prices have fallen up to 20% in Sydney 1st qtr 2005 etc.

Investment property in Perth is poor on rental return (less than 4% gross being the norm IMO )
Cap. gain was the reason for investing in the Perth property - IMO the returns on Cap gain will be slim to nil for next few years.

interest rate rises, tax hikes and over build of apartments will keep house prices flat as FTB snap up cheap new build apartments - As long as the WA economy stays stable and jobs are not lost due to the mighty China / India workshop demand ( oil, ore and gas) house prices should hold.

Hence the decision to sell off, transfer capital and invest in good rental return which is starting to happen in UK, prices have fallen at least 10% asking price since Jan 2005.

Just completed on a propert sale in Norfolk - started at 162,500, sold at 122,950 ( 125K with stamp duty and fees) those kind of price falls are still not happening in Perth.

I like the latest uk estate agent "spin" on why prices are staying low
i.e. concerns about who will win the election

odaat
Old May 4th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

charlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Hiya

And here you go add another one, we went on the market in Feb, visa arrived March hoping to to leave the country for a new life in June - as you can see time ticking away now!! House timeline so far:

Feb - on market
4 viewings in 1st week
3 offers by end of 4th week
1 offer accepted here we go!!! March
2 weeks from exchange of contracts buyer (I don't call him that anymore!!) dropped out!
April 2 more viewings 1 offer full asking price - accepted oh wait front of chain not sold or having any interest!!!
May 2 more viewing no joy
Today washing car dragged woman in off street!!!! she likes is calling back ! apparently (we'll see)

Our house is a 5 year old Bovis 2 bed and is going for approx £5,000 less than the nearest competition

God I'm going to be so grey by the time we get on that plane - funny how the visa application now seems so easy!!!!!

Charlie

Good luck to us all
Old May 4th 2005, 5:42 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
We did, however, have several viewers and some interested so would probably have sold fairly soon.

Our property is a Peak district cottage so not many around.

Good luck

G
G that is music to my ears thanks

feeling a bit more positive today, I drove over to castleton and saw about 6 properties on the way with the lovely SOLD sign on them, of course I've no idea how long they had been on the market but at least they've sold.

Still keeping fingers crossed for us all (its aching a bit but I'll put up with the pain )

Kay
Old May 4th 2005, 6:18 pm
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=charlie63]Hiya

(And here you go add another one, we went on the market in Feb, visa arrived March hoping to to leave the country for a new life in June - as you can see time ticking away now!!

Today washing car dragged woman in off street!!!! she likes is calling back ! apparently (we'll see))

I like this approach I did that as well on Saturday, they said that they were really interested and will be phoning estate agent to put an offer in(not heard anything yet)
But have had two offers too low at the moment so we will hold on.

(God I'm going to be so grey by the time we get on that plane - funny how the visa application now seems so easy!!!!!)

Easy NOT, we are doing both at the same time waiting for visa and selling the house, we are gluton for punishment!!!!!!
So hopefully we will sell the house, then the visa will coma and on the plane we will go.

Pauline
Old May 4th 2005, 7:05 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

UPDATE

for sale = 46
under offer = 6
under offer maybe =2
sold = 1
buying = 1
house buying companies = 2
withdrawn from sale = 1

Nicky
Old May 4th 2005, 7:22 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
I am just in the process of finding an estate agent to put our house on the market. In so many threads house selling/waiting is mentioned and I was curious just how many of us actually had houses for sale in our bid to get to australia. So as the politicians say sign up and let us find the real figures .

No just interested/nosey in how many of us there are.

Nicky
Hi Nicky
We put our house on the market this week, we are trying the internet first, having had bad experiences with agents in the past!!! After th ree days we had had 24 hits and one enquiry, fingers well and truly crossed!!
Diana
Old May 4th 2005, 9:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
G that is music to my ears thanks

feeling a bit more positive today, I drove over to castleton and saw about 6 properties on the way with the lovely SOLD sign on them, of course I've no idea how long they had been on the market but at least they've sold.

Still keeping fingers crossed for us all (its aching a bit but I'll put up with the pain )

Kay
Kay

You should be OK. Houses round here are selling quickly and this has now become an expensive area.

this is one of the reasons we decided to keep the house as it is going to be far too expensive to move back if we ever want to.

As we live in a conservation area and as there is no more land available it is unlikely that prices will drop much at all. despite what one or two (who have been predicting massive falls in prices for months) would have us believe

Good luck

G
Old May 4th 2005, 9:57 pm
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

UPDATE

for sale = 46
under offer = 6
under offer maybe =2
sold = 1
buying = 1
house buying companies = 2
withdrawn from sale = 1

Nicky
Sold our house to 1st viewer on 1st day it was put on market, we've got their surveyors coming to do a full survey (very expensive) next week. At least this shows they are committed to buying and not just wasting our time.

Hopefully when the election is over, the market will pick-up for the others on this board.

Good luck to you all
Tim
Old May 5th 2005, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Grayling

this is one of the reasons we decided to keep the house as it is going to be far too expensive to move back if we ever want to.
mmm this is the downside isnt it but without the cash from the house we wont be able to have the life we want in Oz.

Difference is you love where your living.

I've only lived here just over a year and its not home to me, personally I dont want to come back here.

Partner been here all his life I think its going to be harder than he thinks for him to leave.

Kay

Last edited by possoms; May 5th 2005 at 7:57 am.
Old May 5th 2005, 6:23 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

not long been out of bed and logged on (saddo that i am). must still be really tired. quickly glanced at the title of this thread and thought it said 'How many of us have SPOUSES up for sale. OMG night work buggers you up.
No house to sell but one annoying spouce going cheap if anyone is interested.

louise
Old May 5th 2005, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by louise4
not long been out of bed and logged on (saddo that i am). must still be really tired. quickly glanced at the title of this thread and thought it said 'How many of us have SPOUSES up for sale. OMG night work buggers you up.
No house to sell but one annoying spouce going cheap if anyone is interested.

louise
LOL is he rich??

p.s Ive been up since 4am insomnia
Old May 5th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by odaat
Steveyp,
Perth has always been the ideal place to buy more house than money, added bonus of quality of life, great beaches, good schools, good healthcare and cheaper flights to Europe / pacific rim.

In fact house prices in Perth have remained consistently stable while prices have fallen up to 20% in Sydney 1st qtr 2005 etc.

Investment property in Perth is poor on rental return (less than 4% gross being the norm IMO )
Cap. gain was the reason for investing in the Perth property - IMO the returns on Cap gain will be slim to nil for next few years.

interest rate rises, tax hikes and over build of apartments will keep house prices flat as FTB snap up cheap new build apartments - As long as the WA economy stays stable and jobs are not lost due to the mighty China / India workshop demand ( oil, ore and gas) house prices should hold.

Hence the decision to sell off, transfer capital and invest in good rental return which is starting to happen in UK, prices have fallen at least 10% asking price since Jan 2005.

Just completed on a propert sale in Norfolk - started at 162,500, sold at 122,950 ( 125K with stamp duty and fees) those kind of price falls are still not happening in Perth.

I like the latest uk estate agent "spin" on why prices are staying low
i.e. concerns about who will win the election

odaat
Odaat,
Interesting... pretty much inline with my own thoughts. I see some of the more expensive properties ($800k+) stuff sticking lately and some of it being reduced. I don't think this is a symptom of a falling Perth market, just bullish asking prices in the first place. So overall I would say stable not gaining here. although I have seen lot's of vested interest spin here too regards the state of the market aimed at 'would be investors', talk of 40% gains etc, "I fear they doth protest too much"

25% off an asking price in Norfolk sounds a sensible buy, back to 2002 levels.
Good luck with it!

UK election will not make a blind bit of difference to the market, what next Leaves on the line?
I had a bitch of a sale on my own house last year, 15 months in all from going on the market, I know the feeling only too well.
Cheers
Old May 5th 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

I am just in the process of finding an estate agent to put our house on the market. In so many threads house selling/waiting is mentioned and I was curious just how many of us actually had houses for sale in our bid to get to australia. So as the politicians say sign up and let us find the real figures .

No just interested/nosey in how many of us there are.

Nicky
We have had ours on for months !!!!

Help !!!
Old May 5th 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Add us to to the on the market!
Been on since end January, 2 viewings!! No offers! Just changed agents to try our luck there! We leave in 9 weeks and 2 days!!!!
I think we may have to rent until sold!!
It really gets to you dosen't it
Oh well here's to life in Oz house sale or not!!
Good Luck everyone
Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.