Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Old May 20th 2005, 10:19 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Originally Posted by worzel
I agree. Very few people seem to fail with DIMIA. If you are going to fail it is most likely at skills assessment stage. With hindsight we would have put the house on the market at the time we submitted the visa application.
Hi Worzel hows the sale going had anymore viewers since you dropped the price??
Old May 20th 2005, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Fuggle
House update - now "Sold" subject to contract after three weeks on the market - now waiting for the surveyors to do their bit . Still got every finger and toe crossed.
Yeaah congrats on the sale
Old May 20th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by possoms
Yeaah congrats on the sale

Thank you! Now I can live back in a "Home" for a while rather then a sterile show homey cant leave a thing lying around, must fluff cushions and make sure ironing board is hidden place. Mind you there were some good points..... the fella actually remembered to stuff his breakfast stuff in the dishwasher for the whole duration so Im very proud.
Old May 20th 2005, 12:45 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

As some of you may know, we "sold" our house in early September last year. The survey was done quickly and all was proceeding.............. until, after FOUR months, the "buyer" decided he didn't actually have the money - b*****d.

Surely the estate agents should have smelt a rat after about 2 months - we kept mentioning it to them and they kept insisting all was well.

So, come early February and an ultimatum to the "buyer" and we were back on the market!

We had about 15 viewings quite quickly - some were not in a position to proceed, some were not even on the market themselves, but ONE decided to offer at just £2k below asking price, which we were prepared to do and accepted.

After much faffing about from both sets of solicitors, we eventually exchanged contracts on 6 May, the shippers arrive this coming Monday, and we complete on the house on Wednesday 25th, and fly to Sydney on 2 June - at long last.

The final (I hope) insult on all this is that we have already had the solicitor's letter informing us of the deductions for their services and those of the estate agent and that the balance due to us will be sent to our bank next week. You don't even get the chance to argue the financial toss with them if you consider they have done a bad job - they have already taken theirs before you get yours.

As I said earlier................ b******s !!

The very best of luck to you all who are still going through this nightmare of an English housing fiasco.

Jim
Old May 20th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Really losing heart with the whole thing today, just wonder if its worth all the stress.

Had a viewer on Tues- feed back was it didnt grab her!! what??? should have got hubby to hide and grab her from behind!!!!

Had visit from estate agent on Tues to discuss sales plan!!!! dropped price by a thou and offering cash back agent says this works better for some buyers than dropping purchase price so we'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone is having some interest and that someone is selling

Good luck

Chris
Old May 20th 2005, 12:53 pm

Hi Jimclevs, its a nightmare I had the same thing when I sold my previous house, right at the last minute the couple found they couldnt get a mortgage!!

Anyway at least you've sold now and everything is sorted, lots of luck in your new life

Last edited by possoms; May 20th 2005 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 20th 2005, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Really losing heart with the whole thing today, just wonder if its worth all the stress.

Had a viewer on Tues- feed back was it didnt grab her!! what??? should have got hubby to hide and grab her from behind!!!!

Had visit from estate agent on Tues to discuss sales plan!!!! dropped price by a thou and offering cash back agent says this works better for some buyers than dropping purchase price so we'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone is having some interest and that someone is selling

Good luck

Chris
How long has it been on the market Chris?
Old May 20th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

How long has it been on the market Chris?
Since beginning of March, the market is dead at the moment and nothing is moving. I guess its early days still just our plans like many others hinges on selling the house.

Chris
Old May 20th 2005, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Since beginning of March, the market is dead at the moment and nothing is moving. I guess its early days still just our plans like many others hinges on selling the house.

Chris
Have you had a lot of viewers though?

we seem to have had a lot considering its only been on the market a week, but not had any offers yet.

the waiting for feedback is worse than anything
Old May 20th 2005, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

James76 is an unknown quantity at this point

TYPICAL!

Fell in love with Australia on a visit in 2000/1. Really wanted to go out and live there but was no way i could get PR visa. Kind of gave up on the idea and 6 months ago decided to get on the property ladder and bought a flat.

NOW however I have been offered the chance to go and work in Australia on a temp visa-this will only be for 12 months-as my girlfriend can only get a working holiday visa but we definetly want to do it. So only 4 months after moving into my flat I have today put it on the market!! What with estate agent and solicitor fees I'll be happy to break even. Just wishing that I hadn't bought in the first place particulalry as the market is quite slow. Anyway, the estate agent has arranged a viewing for tomorrow - not hopeful as she is there to see one of the other flats in the building.

Anyway, although I won't make anything on the property-its only money and gives me the chance to do something i've always wanted to do. I am doing the right thing aren't I??

PS-can't rent out my flat as management co don't allow this!
Old May 20th 2005, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by James76

Anyway, although I won't make anything on the property-its only money and gives me the chance to do something i've always wanted to do. I am doing the right thing aren't I??
Its all a gamble isnt it, seems to me its a chance you have to take and you going to Oz is meant to be. Go for it
Old May 20th 2005, 3:24 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jimclevs, its a nightmare I had the same thing when I sold my previous house, right at the last minute the couple found they couldnt get a mortgage!!

Anyway at least you've sold now and everything is sorted, lots of luck in your new life
Many thanks for that. If this country was sorted, the "can't get a mortgage after you've accepted the offer and taken it off the market" syndrome would be a thing of the past.

I said when we were going through it all some months ago that was the only time I wished I lived in Scotland - no offence to our northern cousins - but at least they have their system sorted (as does Australia!)

Whatever, you live in a lovely part of the country and presumably there is not too much building going on in the Dales, so any good property should - hopefully - sell quite quickly and for near the asking price.

Good luck

Jim
Old May 20th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have just rang the estate agents and asked them to drop the price of my house . I really don't want to but it's the only way I can see me getting rid of it.
Hopefully I might start to get some viewings.
Old May 20th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Well, I have just rang the estate agents and asked them to drop the price of my house . I really don't want to but it's the only way I can see me getting rid of it.
Agent still saying don't drop price, still no interest despite loads of advertising & the house being pretty fantastic. Moving out next week so furniture can arrive when we do and we'll make the house look very presentable unfurnished. Thought about renting but would make less than 2/3 of our costs - anyone think miracles happen and it all pulls together in the end?

Carolyn
Old May 20th 2005, 9:18 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hiya i have done the same thing today have dropped the price by £3,000 doesn't sound alot but it is £3,500 cheaper than the house over the road plus we are leaving all white goods as our home is a 2 bed starter home and thought it might be a pull to 1st time buyers, also asked them to update pics as they took original ones in february and front garden didn't look great where as now all shrubs are lush and green and what looked like a stick in front garden is now a lovely bush so fingers crossed we might get that elusive viewer then an offer we have had 5 viewings since feb crap reallyanyway good luck everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.