Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Old May 18th 2005, 1:49 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
your estate agent is an idiot then. We had 4 internal doors to replace and I had them stacked in the front bedroom along with a couple of other jobs to do. Our estate agent told us it wasn't a problem and that people would just decorate as they wanted etc but ironically when I did the jobs and moved to a new agent we sold in 3 weeks.

good luck with the viewings but try listening to what the viewers say, you might be surprised. Have you watched the house doctor programs? viewers DO care about decor, they care alot.
Well the viewer has been and seemed to like it??

As for the decorating they said they would knock almost every wall down and do major converstions so dont think a bit of paint would have made a difference.

We will have to wait and see got another viewer at 6.30 one tomorrow and one friday.

As for the estate agent being an idiot, his fee of 1% on every sale and average house around here being £220,000 ... I dont think so.
Old May 18th 2005, 3:11 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyedwards
Hi Mandi, We're hoping for the Sunshine Coast early 2006 too. Just trying to research into good schools/area etc - where are you off to? We have 2 boys (13 & 8 years).

Our house has been on the market since end of Jan. So yet another to add to list! :scared: Had an offer £20,000 below the asking price - I reckon too many people watch Location, Location, Location & think they can get property for well under the asking price. We're not going to accept that & have already dropped price by £5,000 - will wait & see!
Getting two different agents to value & remarket tomorrow. Fingers crossed - good luck with your sale too
Sharon
Hi Sharon, We haven't really decided where to settle yet, we may possibly end up on the Gold Coast (we have friends there and they are trying to talk us into moving there) we have 2 girls aged nearly 16 and nearly 6. Neil (husband) does all the research on the internet at areas and property, once we get the visas (hopefully) we will probably start looking seriously at different areas.
We've dropped our asking price by 15000 just to try and get the viewers round, cos I'm sure once we've got the viewers we may get an offer. I know that sounds presumptious (sp?) but I have different friends around to give me their honest opinions (beleive me they do to!!) and they say it's a lovely house and I shouldn't have any problems selling it! but 3 months down the line and it's still here and no viewers!
Good luck with the estate agents, hope it gets your house moving
mandi

p.s. have sent you some karma for luck

Last edited by mandi248; May 18th 2005 at 3:15 pm.
Old May 18th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

we have been on the market since mid Feb. We have two places to sell and only now starting to get some viewers in. Had to drop one by 5K now 10K in total and this has generated some interest. Second viewing on Saturday so fingers crossed. The other one was sold but the couple buying still haven't sold so we put it back on the market. An old woman now wants it but hasn't sold either. Again fingers crossed as we are leaving in less than 6 wks

Best of luck to everyone selling, may the market turn quickly.
Old May 18th 2005, 8:04 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

It's really frustrating with the house market being a bit slack isn't it! For the past few years the property market has soared and now we want to sell - nothing!!! We also have some friends that moved to Robina near the Gold Coast but when we visited that area we didn't feel it was for us. It's beautiful as is most of the Australian coastline, however the GC is definately more built up and tourist like (i.e Blackpool) than Sunshine Coast.

We're looking at the Caloundra area & having read lots of threads on here, it seems like Buderim is a popular choice because of the schools. I happen to think that wherever we decide on will be a better lifestyle than here. Our sons are happy enough and my eldest is a bit reluctant to move to say the least - but he is a 13 year old boy!! However we do push the "new, wonderful life" a lot and hope that will help them to get over the huge turmoil of moving so far from their friends. They'll also have the bonus of an Aussie Aunt & Uncle in Sydney and their grandparents have just got their visas through and are moving over at roughly the same time - to roughly the same area as us. :scared: Hurray for babysitters!!
Old May 19th 2005, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Dopey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Just how many of us have house up for sale?

Count me in too - our house has been on the market for 4 weeks, we've had 6 viewings and a second viewing is booked for Sunday. All sounds quite positive, until you take into account the leak we had from the toilet cistern last week whilst we were away on holiday which has flooded the bathroom and gone through to the kitchen below, causing the kitchen ceiling to fall down.

Still, got our letter from DIMIA on Tuesday saying we got our visas, so life isn't all bad

Dopey
Old May 19th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone.Ours went up on the market end of last week.
Not looking forward to all the hassle but hoping it will be worth it in the end.
Just hope the market starts picking up soon as its been really slow latley.
Good Luck to all of us.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Hi Everyone.Ours went up on the market end of last week.
Not looking forward to all the hassle but hoping it will be worth it in the end.
Just hope the market starts picking up soon as its been really slow latley.
Good Luck to all of us.

We went on the market on Saturday and have our first viewer tomorrow. Have been cleaning like a lunatic this evening, hope they turn up now!

Managed to get our estate agent to lower their selling fee (still a lot higher than I wanted, but if they sell it quick then maybe its worth it), we have only signed for 4 weeks with them.

Best of luck to the rest of us trying to sell.

Hazel
Old May 20th 2005, 7:05 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Hi, sorry that I have not done an update recently as my computer died on me, and it has taken quiet a while to get up and running again, will read up on the news and update at the weekend

Nicky
Old May 20th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

biscuit63 is an unknown quantity at this point

My house was on the market for 10 days with about 8 viewings, finally sold it to a cash buyer for 3 grand under the asking price. I suppose it might have helped in the fact that it does need some minor cosmetic surgery so I priced it slightly lower than the other houses on the estate which have been languishing on the market since the new year. I know that I could have asked for more, and probably got it, if I was prepared to wait but as we are off in August it seemed sensible to get it sold asap.

At least I can pay off all my debts etc and move to Oz with a small cash lump sum which will go someway in buying a new house there. I have a good job to go to so don't mind having a medium sized mortgage.

I suppose if you want to move and buy a house mortgage free in Aus then keeping the asking price high is OK but that might be greedy? I'm just happy I've sold it!

Biscuit63
Old May 20th 2005, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by biscuit63
My house was on the market for 10 days with about 8 viewings, finally sold it to a cash buyer for 3 grand under the asking price. I suppose it might have helped in the fact that it does need some minor cosmetic surgery so I priced it slightly lower than the other houses on the estate which have been languishing on the market since the new year. I know that I could have asked for more, and probably got it, if I was prepared to wait but as we are off in August it seemed sensible to get it sold asap.

At least I can pay off all my debts etc and move to Oz with a small cash lump sum which will go someway in buying a new house there. I have a good job to go to so don't mind having a medium sized mortgage.

I suppose if you want to move and buy a house mortgage free in Aus then keeping the asking price high is OK but that might be greedy? I'm just happy I've sold it!

Biscuit63
Hi same here, ours is in need of modernising so is also on at a very reasonable price compared to others in the area.

been on the market a week and had 5 viewers hope we get the same result as you.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough

hi

ours has been on the market 3 weeks now with an estate agent since our buyers in march still havent found a buyer for their place!

Thats 3 weeks and 1 viewing!!! (which was a timewaster)

I am sooo frustrate right now i never thought it wouldnt be so hard to sell our house as its in a fab location we've even dropped in by 10k in order to get some interest!

Urghhh where are those buyers?? ;-(
Old May 20th 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We know this is the time of year to advertise our home for sale, however I wish to hold back until we know from DIMIA one way or the other.

The reasons is our home has been decorated/modernised thru out and having had it valued by 4 agents are pretty confident it would sell quite quickly.

Also don't wish to end up in the situation of annoying/disappointing a potential buyer and estate agent by having to withdraw from the sale due to DIMIA saying 'NO'.

This is despite me having a job to go to and my wife's occupation being on the MODL.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ! ! !
Old May 20th 2005, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Keebs
Hi,

Also don't wish to end up in the situation of annoying/disappointing a potential buyer and estate agent by having to withdraw from the sale due to DIMIA saying 'NO'.
Hi mmm this is the problem isnt it, but have to be positive hopefully we will have our visa before the house is sold.

you shouldnt have a problem if job is on MODL its only the dreaded Med & PC that can hold us back

either way we have decided to move away anyway, so if god forbid we dont get the blasted visa we are off .... somewhere!!
Old May 20th 2005, 10:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi mmm this is the problem isnt it, but have to be positive hopefully we will have our visa before the house is sold.

you shouldnt have a problem if job is on MODL its only the dreaded Med & PC that can hold us back

either way we have decided to move away anyway, so if god forbid we dont get the blasted visa we are off .... somewhere!!
I agree. Very few people seem to fail with DIMIA. If you are going to fail it is most likely at skills assessment stage. With hindsight we would have put the house on the market at the time we submitted the visa application.
Old May 20th 2005, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fuggle
Can add us to this list - next viewing is tomorrow so have every available finger and toe crossed.

Wishing you luck

Emma

House update - now "Sold" subject to contract after three weeks on the market - now waiting for the surveyors to do their bit . Still got every finger and toe crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.