Reload this Page >

Just had my (1st) leaving do!

Just had my (1st) leaving do!

Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:41 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default Just had my (1st) leaving do!

Hi all,

I had my first leaving do on Saturday night, and it was more fun than i thought it would be. I dont leave till the end of July, and had this party early cos a friends band were free. As it turns out I think its a good way to do it. I was a bit worried I might blow my hard man image (yeah right) and get emotional, but because I knew that I would see everyone in the room again, be it privately or on smaller leaving do's, it wasn't too bad.

I was able to do a little speach and look at people and think "its okay I'll see them in the pub, or football training, or when we go ski-ing next week, etc etc. It was certainly easier than looking out at a room of family and friends and thinking "sh*t, I'm not gonna see these people for months after tonight".

Anyway it was just a thought for any of you considering having a leaving do.

Another tip, get an address book, or a message book, and ask people to put their address, e-mail details and phone numbers etc. Yuo'll see the book going round, and when you check it its full of comments too. Some mushy, some funny but all from your family and friends so a bit spesh!

Right.....roll on the next do this Friday! (gonna be a good few weeks.)

Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just had my (1st) leaving do!

Originally posted by loose
Hi all,

I had my first leaving do on Saturday night, and it was more fun than i thought it would be. I dont leave till the end of July, and had this party early cos a friends band were free. As it turns out I think its a good way to do it. I was a bit worried I might blow my hard man image (yeah right) and get emotional, but because I knew that I would see everyone in the room again, be it privately or on smaller leaving do's, it wasn't too bad.

I was able to do a little speach and look at people and think "its okay I'll see them in the pub, or football training, or when we go ski-ing next week, etc etc. It was certainly easier than looking out at a room of family and friends and thinking "sh*t, I'm not gonna see these people for months after tonight".

Anyway it was just a thought for any of you considering having a leaving do.

Another tip, get an address book, or a message book, and ask people to put their address, e-mail details and phone numbers etc. Yuo'll see the book going round, and when you check it its full of comments too. Some mushy, some funny but all from your family and friends so a bit spesh!

Right.....roll on the next do this Friday! (gonna be a good few weeks.)

Had my first on Saturday night too. Went to Brighton, lads only. Very funny and very messy. Still recovering to be honest. Realised towards the end of the night that it was unlikey that all these people would be in the same room at the same time again.....
Hard man image still intact though.....
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just had my (1st) leaving do!

Hi Loose
thanks for your post, we are having our 'big leaving do' on 13th August and was wondering how i'll cope, but reading your message made it all so much clearer, we're not leaving till September 7th, so like you say we can focus on seeing most of the people again before we go!
Like your tip about the book too, thanks
Rach x
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Goldend Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wonderful Tip!

Wonderful Tip about the address/message book.

I will certainly pass one around at our leaving do.

Greatly appreciated.

Golden Dreamer
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:12 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

It was a tip that someone else on the forum gave a while ago, cant remember who but it was a good idea. Unfortunately I also took their advice re having a video there. I've now got a good hour of me trying to dance to delete!!!

Hope everyones do's go well, try to enjoy them and just remind yourself that you're not going to the moon or anything, and its not that difficult to come back on holidays etc.

Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sounds good!

For us (coming Saturday), it will be the last time we see most, except parents and siblings, but we're only really close to them, don't have any 'best'friends, so hopefully not to much crying.....
The airport with parents/brothers will be though :scared:
I'm now keeping thinking(great english...), we're just going on an extended working holiday, sort of, in laws we'll see in December, my parents next year probably....

Hey, was that book thingy my idea? Well, we're doing that too. Got everyone's address, so just want email addresses and messages!

Video wasn't my idea, but I thought it sounded good.... hmm, maybe stick to photo's!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Little tip for you Simone - don't say farewell at the airport as you actually walk through Immigration/Customs.
My sister and her family saw me off, but all we did was have a meal in a restaurant there, then say the goodbyes and they left without seeing me walk away from them to airside. We had their kids there, and I didn't want them to see me walk away into the unknown. Worked well, and meant I could compose myself before actually walking through the doors.
Thats a good idea though, to keep in mind a date for seeing each other again. Makes it much easier. We have no idea when we will get together again unfortunately, which I think makes me miss them more.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:40 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Little tip for you Simone - don't say farewell at the airport as you actually walk through Immigration/Customs.
My sister and her family saw me off, but all we did was have a meal in a restaurant there, then say the goodbyes and they left without seeing me walk away from them to airside. We had their kids there, and I didn't want them to see me walk away into the unknown. Worked well, and meant I could compose myself before actually walking through the doors.
Thats a good idea though, to keep in mind a date for seeing each other again. Makes it much easier. We have no idea when we will get together again unfortunately, which I think makes me miss them more.
Thanks Poll
Good tip, I'll try and organise it that way.

Yeah, it makes it easier.
Hey, have you got a webcam yet?
CHeaper than a flight (and big difference of course, but still)
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road

Another good idea about leaving parties is to have some disposible cameras around on tables and then you will get some weird and funny pics of your rellies and friends.

sally